Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 02-27-2017, 06:26 PM
Lord of the Minions

Default Building a Oil Field pipe hauler

I'll blame this build on Vernon as he had me rethinking what I was trying to do with what I had and how much easier it might be if I go ahead and make something specific for hauling long timbers or oil field piping on a smaller scale than having to use a 30' float goose neck.

I've been thinking of getting rid of my float for this and selling it to a friend. I could still have use of this trailer as I'm sure I'll still be on the hook of maintaining it due to this friendship, within reason.

I've struggled with the concept of having a dual box tube or rect tubing by pairs and a dual single tired axles with brakes on at least one axle.

Having the most forward pair of tubing being unbolted or pinned and having them slide in to the rear pair to shorten the trailer as needed for storage and empty hauling.

The problem with using a pair of legs like this would be should any flex in the forward pair causing bends and thus not allowing them to slide in to their parent tubings.

As the pipe or timber being hauled would be held solid over the axles and parent tubing and then held fast on the forward portion of the inner tubings, I'm thinking I just may get away with it considering my being careful on my end of operatings.

I am also thinking of using one of my little 2 ton dc ele winches to draw up and pull things apart as needed or at least to tweak things once I back up or pull forward just to get the pins in place saving trips to and fro inside the truck to move forward and back to do so.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts you much older() more experienced guys might have on this undertaking.

Of course, my minds made up on making this happen one way or another. sigh..... just because I think I can make it work safely and easily. Not so much cheap, but doable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	logging trailer.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	138108   Click image for larger version

Name:	logging too.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	138109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Side view gen 1 001.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	138110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top View gen 1 002.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	138111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top View gen 1 shortened 003.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	138117  

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.

Last edited by LW Hiway; 02-27-2017 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:08 AM
Lord of the Minions

I'm looking at two pieces of 4x6x1/4"x15' possibly longer.

Another two pieces of 3x5x1/4"x 18' or so. I've got two 20' pieces of good straight tubing and another 10' piece sitting on the barn wall just waiting for a good project like this.

Was thinking of tacking 3/16" x 1 1/4" angle to the corners of the 3x5 to take up a bit of slack inside to the 4x6. But this may all change should I find enough heavy wall pipe to make something like the loggers use to make up their trailers.

I sure could use the help if I'm barking up a bad tree.

I've only seen one other trailer like this many years ago made out of about the same size stuff doing the same thing. I saw he had 5 telephone poles sitting atop his pulling it all with his WWII jeep. A little light for me, but he hauled these things from North Laf about 22 miles out here mid 1980's. He's dead now and the trailer is long gone.

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:17 AM
Elite Member

You would probably have to round the corners of the angle to fit in the 4x6x 1/4 tube. I would just put 3/16x1 or 1 1/2 flat on the sides of the 3x5 to take up the space. Could do them in about 3" long pieces, that way you would have less drag over all when pulling it apart. Maybe about 4' apart. No need to run it all the length. That way, if it rusts later, it will not rust solid together.

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 02-28-2017, 08:24 AM
Elite Member

Do a google image search of "military bolster trailer". Might help revisions to the original design.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
You would probably have to round the corners of the angle to fit in the 4x6x 1/4 tube. I would just put 3/16x1 or 1 1/2 flat on the sides of the 3x5 to take up the space. Could do them in about 3" long pieces, that way you would have less drag over all when pulling it apart. Maybe about 4' apart. No need to run it all the length. That way, if it rusts later, it will not rust solid together.
I like the concept, but you best not do it in 3" pieces, those will get caught every time. I would like it better if you made the bigger "female" tube larger so that you could use say 1/2 thick UHMW strips attached to the smaller "male" tube to take up the slack. This is a similar arrangement that is used on telescoping boom lifts.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:32 AM
Director of Languages

Subscribing to your "you can never have too many trailers" logic also I have given thought to something like this myself in the past.

Not a variable sized trailer, but a trailer for hauling lengths of steel on.

remember everything is smaller over here.

I would have been thinking single braked axle, and a single spine down the middle with some form of lattice structure to carry the steel, something like this in cross-section.

Maybe 25 foot long from drawbar to tail.

It's something that would be quick and simple to build, which given it's purpose would be to haul material for building other things is important. (especially in light of the shop shame thread)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	steelhauler.png
Views:	44
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	138126  
Old 02-28-2017, 10:57 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Whatever you build Johnboy, make sure it can also haul bales of hay....
Old 02-28-2017, 11:38 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
I like the concept, but you best not do it in 3" pieces, those will get caught every time.
One concept I added to another dwg after posting the first set here was to open/flare all four ends of the female box tubing to allow the male to self-align as it slides into the female, should I go with strips 3" or more in length along the length x's say 5 spots on the male sticks that do slide inside completely.

I'm more in tune with keeping the weight down on the pulling end of things so the first thing I ruled out was the use of f/b strips on two sides to keep the slop to a minimum.

I'm not allergic to old grease, so, I'm sure that I'll find myself brushing it on the male portions to keep things free and moving.

Quote:
I would like it better if you made the bigger "female" tube larger so that you could use say 1/2 thick UHMW strips attached to the smaller "male" tube to take up the slack.
I thought of this first off as I had none of the larger tubing and knowing I'd have to buy. I also checked availability locally last week on this stuff and have found out that it would not be cost prohibitive to do so. Fastening it would be no problem with using csk screws of say 1/4" and just drilling a few holes into the male tubing to attach the 4 pieces.

But, I'm thinking of just keeping things a little more simple. Hell at my age, I'm only concerned it last, hopefully, another 20 years if the good Lord is willing.

Thanks for that mention GimpyR, I was trying to remember what names we called them.

Last edited by LW Hiway; 02-28-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:42 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
I would have been thinking single braked axle, and a single spine down the middle
Was my initial thoughts over the years concerning using a single spine pulling tube, but am thinking that the extra weight of a pair doing the same thing would make things a bit more sturdy while turning etc with a load. Knowing that if I keep the ends of the load securely winched/bound well enough, the load also becomes part of the trailers overall frame work.

Which, come to think of it, using only one axle assy would also keep the turning weight on a smaller pivot over using a dual axle.

Good ideas guys, it's what I wanted to hear.

thanks
LW

Old 03-01-2017, 07:59 AM
Lord of the Minions

As my initial plans were to be able to haul at least 3 wood treated telephone pole sized poles and no more than 6 or 8 sticks of drill pipe, I'm thinking that a single axle will do better overall than dual axles.

I had to look things up for a 30' telephone pole of 12" in dia and I'm seeing weights of about 720 lbs, add a little water and chems and more likely a good 800 lbs easily. So, keeping things to a low count would do me just fine at 3 per trip for 30' poles. I know I'm good for 6 to 8 sticks of d/p, so single axle it is, with brakes of course.

Less turning weights for side moments with a single so less stress on the frame overall meaning no skidding of either axle tire set in a turn especially with a load.

I'm going to have side stakes on the rear female portion of the frame and the very front of the male.

Also some sort of stop board/metal stop on the fwd end to keep any of the load from shifting forward under an emergency situation with severe braking.

I keep thinking that the total length of the female portion of the trailer would be about 18' long with another 15' for the male forward end of things. All but about 4' or so of that 15' would be sticking out ahead of the female aft framing with things at it's shortest for storage and transport without a load.

That fwd 4' or so would hold a little metal box for binders, chain, ratchet straps and somewhere on this end a spare tire carrier.

I think I have a plan.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Side view gen 2 001.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	138133  

Last edited by LW Hiway; 03-01-2017 at 08:07 AM.