Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 02-28-2017, 11:36 AM
Standard of Excellence

Default forging question, Jen, gotta your ears on?

I have to make a bunch of forged door handles that I've already made a sample for. They are inch and a quarter Square bar that is upset and then texture with a heavy Hammer texture.

I have shown my upsetting rig that I use a ten pound Hammer with. It doesn't Fair job but a little crude.

I have also picture progression of the bars from the square bar to an upset bar to a textured and finished bar.

The problem that I am having is that when I am trying to hammer finish the underside of the upset. If I hold it flat on the anvil, when I strike underneath the upset it wants to bump up the bar and it's very jerky operation if I hold them is shown over the rounded edge of the end will it works well for texturing the underside of the upset but leaves a half round groove on the other side that I didn't have to go back and retexture so it's a vicious circle.
If I hold it more upright on the Advil it works OK still wants to jerk the bar quite a bit but doesn't leave the half-round groove while it does flatten out the top a little but I just then turn it upside down and reshape the top a little bit not too bad just a little jerky.

Any ideas as to how I can make this a more successful, smoother transition?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20170228_093402.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	138128   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20170228_093506.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	138129   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20170228_093521.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	138130  

Last edited by Walker; 02-28-2017 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:46 PM
Gadget Girl

Sadly I only know 4 ways of getting what you want.. " Which is to texture both sides at once".. this would eliminate the problem of wash out of the texture.

1). would be a forging press or a large enough fly press with the correct texture dies in it for both sides. (top and bottom)

Know some with a 20ton vertical wood splitter????

2). Would be a sledging person with the correct top and bottom dies.. the tried and true..

Or dies in a one strike hammer.. not the best in my mind..

3). a Roll former.. Rolling die mill

It really comes down to how many you have to make as this would determine the cost effectiveness of doing any of the above.. If you have a hydraulic press or a Rolling mill setup it would be the best as a one person shop.

If you found the correct radius for the area at the upset junction ( make a die for the top of your anvil with the correct radius with sides on it to hold the piece while you texture it) you could do a quench on 1/4 of the side of the bar and put this into contact with the bottom and then work the side you want to texture (side that is up).. That size material would allow for plenty of time to texture even with part of it cooled off.

One other avenue is to use your leg vise as a forging press.. You would just need to make dies for the jaws.. This is more than likely what I would use since it's handy in the trailer.. Easy to control depth of texture and could be done in a few heats..

You can texture them before you upset but it would take some experiments to figure out how deep and how long etc etc.. I couldn't see from the picture what the textured pattern was..

A bevel like those are hard to keep clean because of the radius problems you pointed out..

I'm sorry I couldn't be more help as I'm sure you have thought of most of these things all ready..

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.

Last edited by allessence; 02-28-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:22 PM
Standard of Excellence

It isn't really the texture that is the issue, but the initial shaping. I did find a solution that works better though. I put a large radius on a breaker bar that mounts in my hardy. While it still wants to jump a wee bit it is not as bad as on the edge of the anvil, and is fairly well controllable. It also doesn't dig into the opposite side.

The hammered texture is the last thing to do, and while it does flatten out a little it is still quite textured when done.

I managed to get 10 of the 30 done this afternoon. It has been a while since I have done much hammer work. I can certainly feel my forearms tonight. Hopefully I will have recovered enough by the morning to hold my silverware to eat my breakfast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0045.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	138132  
Old 03-01-2017, 07:00 AM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
It isn't really the texture that is the issue, but the initial shaping. I did find a solution that works better though. I put a large radius on a breaker bar that mounts in my hardy. While it still wants to jump a wee bit it is not as bad as on the edge of the anvil, and is fairly well controllable. It also doesn't dig into the opposite side.

The hammered texture is the last thing to do, and while it does flatten out a little it is still quite textured when done.

I managed to get 10 of the 30 done this afternoon. It has been a while since I have done much hammer work. I can certainly feel my forearms tonight. Hopefully I will have recovered enough by the morning to hold my silverware to eat my breakfast.

I totally mis understood.. But see I knew you had the answer..

I'm assuming you are getting to much upsetting moving back into the main bar..

funny how there are a gazillion solutions to almost any problem..

30 of them.. congrats on the order.. Thats a lot of bang bang and swinging a big hammer just adds to the fun right..

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.