Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 03-07-2017, 05:37 PM
The Real Deal

Should be able to get parts here
Old 03-08-2017, 12:38 AM
Elite Member

Mccutter, Keith.....thank you but that place has 120 volt only. The price is pretty good but if I fitted it there would be a high pitched squeal followed by that 'phut' noise. It all goes downhill fast after that.

Digr.....thank you. The first link looked very promising. I think it requires creating an account to get prices. I will do that and see what happens. The second one is the local agent so I can call them tomorrow and see what they say.

My sparky gave me the name of who he deals with and they will get on in at $25 less than the first place I called. So far England is ahead. Depending on how Digr's link pans out I may end up getting one from them.

I have been looking through the replacement parts website and am probably going to buy the bit I need to fix my sabresaw......another eye popping cost if sourced here and even more than the drill.
Everything depends on how you look at it.

Doug Wood

Approach stressful situations as though you were a dog......
If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:00 PM

This is a 240 volt one for you ...

http://www.mmtoolparts.com/store/met...itch-343406870

here too ..

http://www.toolhouseinc.com/ELECTRON.../343406870.htm

Last edited by yooper; 03-09-2017 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:52 AM
Elite Member

Well......thank you all for your help but I hit a dead end.

The English place only shipped inside Europe, the US places have a direct shipping cost that truly makes your eyes water. To get around that I figured on having it sent to depot in Oregon and then to here via our postal service.

Soooo......add ten bucks US to get it to Oregon, factor the exchange rate, pay the 20 sum dollars NZ money minimum charge for shipping to here and..........................they got me screwed. It adds up to what it would cost here anyway. Damnit.

My sparky put me onto the place he deals with and at least they were $25 cheaper which is better than a poke in the eye.

Digr.....that site you found that required setting up an account. I did......turns out it is only a product registration site and no parts can be bought. I followed the links and ended up with the site/address of the local agent ( that you also found ) who in turn directs me to the local prices/screwing.

I need a part for my sabresaw as well......ended up in the same boat as the drill switch. Will have to go with the best I can find locally.

As for the dimmer switch idea. I ran that past my sparky as well. He hadn't considered that, BUT, the safety weenies and clipboard nazis enforce/demand that all power tools on a job site be tested and tagged by a registered sparky every 3 months ( for a fee of course ). They refuse to test and therefore tag any tool that is not as per factory. So, just once I will pay for the genuine switch and use it. If the thing craps out again I will use it at home in an altered state and send the German makers an email expressing my not happy feelings and leave it there. Then buy something else that is simpler and tougher.

Thanks again everyone.

Doug Wood

Old 03-11-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJinNZ View Post
Well......thank you all for your help but I hit a dead end.

The English place only shipped inside Europe, the US places have a direct shipping cost that truly makes your eyes water. To get around that I figured on having it sent to depot in Oregon and then to here via our postal service.

Soooo......add ten bucks US to get it to Oregon, factor the exchange rate, pay the 20 sum dollars NZ money minimum charge for shipping to here and..........................they got me screwed. It adds up to what it would cost here anyway. Damnit.

My sparky put me onto the place he deals with and at least they were $25 cheaper which is better than a poke in the eye.

Digr.....that site you found that required setting up an account. I did......turns out it is only a product registration site and no parts can be bought. I followed the links and ended up with the site/address of the local agent ( that you also found ) who in turn directs me to the local prices/screwing.

I need a part for my sabresaw as well......ended up in the same boat as the drill switch. Will have to go with the best I can find locally.

As for the dimmer switch idea. I ran that past my sparky as well. He hadn't considered that, BUT, the safety weenies and clipboard nazis enforce/demand that all power tools on a job site be tested and tagged by a registered sparky every 3 months ( for a fee of course ). They refuse to test and therefore tag any tool that is not as per factory. So, just once I will pay for the genuine switch and use it. If the thing craps out again I will use it at home in an altered state and send the German makers an email expressing my not happy feelings and leave it there. Then buy something else that is simpler and tougher.

Thanks again everyone.
The switch from toolhouse was $23.67 ,plus $ 5 shipping charge , pretty cheap for a obsolete switch ..
Old 03-11-2017, 12:10 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJinNZ View Post
...thank you but that place has 120 volt only.
In another THREAD Johnboy (Ireland) talks of 240-to-120 transformers for jobsites. Is there not anything like that used in NZ? And just do away with the 240 equipment?

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 03-11-2017, 04:15 PM
Elite Member

Yooper

When I applied shipping to those two sites you found, one was $9.95 and the other was $11-12.I will go back and do it again.

I just checked the NZ depot - here rates and they have dropped them to 9 bucks as a base rate and then an additional fee for every 500 gram weight increase. I should have checked.

The price you found, plus exchange rate etc brings it to $50 NZ all up. I will get onto that today and order one.
I spent a couple of hours on it last night.....

I cross checked that switch with the 'current' one for the latest model and it uses the same switch so even though it presents as obsolete it would appear to still be in production.

Mccutter

On one hand 120 volt would allow access to a larger and cheaper range of gear from your end, on the other it would create headaches here.
We have no 120 volt stuff at all. To have some things 120 and running off a transformer in with the standard 240 would get messy and I dont know how the safety weenies would see it......even with a compliant transformer. It seems that anything outside the ordinary and they get uppity.

I have heard of people buying 120 tools and having them rewound, but that was only to get access to stuff that never shows up here.....like the really big circular saws. But you would really have to want one to go through that.
My skil wormdrive is odd enough to get a lot of comments. The plus is they tend not to like it and so leave it alone.

Doug Wood

Old 03-11-2017, 05:15 PM
Elite Member

You want to see the weenies trying to figure out how to tag air tools .If you need H&S to watch your ass you don't deserve to survive
Old 03-11-2017, 05:44 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
You want to see the weenies trying to figure out how to tag air tools
I can imagine. Then you have to do the same old routine of explaining how they work..........

Quote:
If you need H&S to watch your ass you don't deserve to survive
I agree. I got chewed out for taking a switch out of the wall so I could plaster behind it, not up to it which looks like crap. They said someone could touch a wire.......my reply was if someone was screwing his finger into the back in an effort to try and touch the bare wire then he was attempting suicide and we should let him do it if he was that effin stupid.

Doug Wood

Old 03-14-2017, 10:26 AM
Director of Languages

Possibly a bit late, but if you want to check out postage rates from Ireland to NZ I can repack and reship if you want to go with the UK option?