Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

Canaweld
SFT Search:   

Old 03-16-2017, 01:50 AM
Elite Member

Many thanks for the offer JohnBoy

I ended up ordering from one of the sites Yooper found. I got a better price than here by enough to make it worthwhile.

I ordered the parts for two other tools locally as the best price I found on the net had higher shipping costs and it became the same in the end.

Now I am on the lookout for a set of USA made Crescent nippers. The import ones are nowhere near as good and the German Knippex I have are failing miserably.
The last Crescent pair I had tolerated years of being worked really hard.....ebay seems to be turning up a few.
Everything depends on how you look at it.

Doug Wood

Approach stressful situations as though you were a dog......
If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:02 AM
set phasers to .50 caliber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJinNZ View Post
...Now I am on the lookout for a set of USA made Crescent nippers. The import ones are nowhere near as good and the German Knippex I have are failing miserably.
The last Crescent pair I had tolerated years of being worked really hard.....ebay seems to be turning up a few.
What's wrong with the Knipex? I don't have any of their nippers, but several different sizes and kinds of their pliers, and they are some of the best tools in my bag. Thought about going with them when I need other tools replaced, too.

I don't think I have anything that's Crescent brand anymore. A buddy of mine got a Crescent tool kit several years ago. All of the tools (ratchets, sockets, combo wrenches) looked to be an okay quality, except for the actual "Crescent wrenches." They were rough-cast and reeked of cheapness. It was a bit of a shocker. Make sure anything Crescent anymore is from an actual line of the stuff they market to tradesmen at the pro stores. Apparently, they have different lines now.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:39 AM
Something's Fishy ...

I have a set of knipex diagonal cutters as well as several crescent diagonal cutters in different sizes. Compared to the original crescent cutters from 30 + years ago they are almost junk.The edges do not meet properly and clean cuts are almost impossible. You would think that improvements in automated machining accuracy would lead to improvements in accuracy and fit but I have not seen it in these tools.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:36 PM
Elite Member

I use my end nippers at work to either pull out or cut off framing nails. Hand driven nails get scored and snapped off, gun nails can be cut right through.

I went to snip the end off some electrical wire and it wouldnt cut......when I looked the jaws were full of dents where the edges had rolled over.
The boss has a pair, said he has had them for years......they look the same as mine.

The boy has a pair of budget crap which dont look much worse. Given the price of the things I expected a LOT more from Knippex. It would seem they dont temper hard enough.

My USA Crescent were incredible. They got used for everything including scoring and snapping hardened screws. No damage to the jaws, which is why I will get another pair the same. I dont want to spend $60 to $100 on a different brand in an attempt to get that quality.

Doug Wood

Old 03-16-2017, 10:37 PM
Something's Fishy ...

my last sets of crescent cutters were definitly not up to the standard I expected. I believe that crescent has been absorbed by a conglomerate so the name may not represent the quality it did in the past.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:02 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
I believe that crescent has been absorbed by a conglomerate so the name may not represent the quality it did in the past.
That is my understanding as well. Everything I have seen here is made in china. That is why I am looking for an older pair made in the US

Doug Wood