Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 03-08-2017, 05:18 PM

Default Transformer help

Hello guys,

I have 2006 CNC 3 axis Bridgeport/Harndinge EZ Vision Mill

My machine is wired for 3 phase 460 volts

2.0 KW
3.3 amps and 1.1 Spindle amps

My question,

I only have single phase 240 coming in the shop.

I also have a Hitachi VFD. http://www.clrwtr.com/PDF/Hitachi/Hitachi-NE-S1-Drives.pdf

What kind of transformer do you guys recommend to boost the volts from 240 to 460? Installed before or after transformer?
Old 03-08-2017, 05:37 PM
Auction Addict

Can you rewire the CNC for 230V? The all you would need is the VFD.

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 03-08-2017, 08:43 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke_barber View Post
Hello guys,

I have 2006 CNC 3 axis Bridgeport/Harndinge EZ Vision Mill

My machine is wired for 3 phase 460 volts

2.0 KW
3.3 amps and 1.1 Spindle amps

My question,

I only have single phase 240 coming in the shop.

I also have a Hitachi VFD. http://www.clrwtr.com/PDF/Hitachi/Hitachi-NE-S1-Drives.pdf

What kind of transformer do you guys recommend to boost the volts from 240 to 460? Installed before or after transformer?
You need a 240 to 460 volt single phase transformer of sufficient load capacity to run the mill. After that is installed, then you install and connect a VFD of 460 volts to give you 3 phases.
A VFD works by converting the input voltage to DC, at 460 volt DC in your case. Then the electronics package taps into the DC buss and creates 3 phase current for this. It cannot take a lower voltage and make a higher one.

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green
Old 03-08-2017, 09:02 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

I found a manual I'll attach. It is not much in the way of electrical help.

However there are a few pictures in the manual that offers clues on how to deal with your machine.

It has a low amp draw on 240 volts as well. Look in the manual. Like I said very low on electrical information.

Now it is time for you so sit down and look at the cabinet in the machine. Is there a wiring schematic in the cabinet? I would venture a guess not. You need to figure out what you need 460 for on the machine. It looks like there is a control transformer in there that drops the voltage down from 460 to 120 and some other items look to run on 24 volts.

So I'll throw out a wild guess and say you need 460 for the motor on top to run the spindle, open the lead box cover on the motor and see if 9 leads are coming out of the motor and have numbers, if so the motor will work with your drive, easy peasy and everything else is single phase in the controls and the stepper motors that control the movement of the X,Y,Z and the 4th if you have it. This is where you have to open the cabinet and figure it out. Do this first, Then you can figure out what controls are currently in place for the motor and look at all the controls in the cabinet and see what voltages and phase they are. You might be surprised and find you have everything you need already.

In the manual it shows the machine is available in all kinds of 3 phase voltage configurations. If it works out you can use this machine and the drive for just the spindle motor DO NOT mount the drive in the cabinet with all the motion controls. Mount it on the wall somewhere and run the control for start and stop to the drive and set the drive for 60 hz and use the speed control currently on the machine.

A few pictures of the electrical cabinet would be a good start and we can zoom in on items of interest. Locate the control transformer and lets go from there.

Have you seen the machine under power and know if it works yet?

This is a hands on project that looks like fun to me.

Scott

Another thought. If the controls and stepper all run on 120 volts single phase you would not need the spindle motor and just run the steppers and control the motions without a cutting tool once you figure out the voltage configuration for the motion controls. A dry run like it discusses in the manual, you would not even need to start the spindle motor.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EZVisionPartsList.pdf (3.25 MB, 34 views)
Old 03-08-2017, 09:37 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Most 460 motors are rated 230/460 and can be connected for the lower voltage. This one may be also.

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green
Old 03-08-2017, 10:55 PM
Grumpy Bastard

http://hardingeus.com/usr/pdf/PartsL...nPartsList.pdf

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 03-08-2017, 10:56 PM
Grumpy Bastard

http://www.stang-maskin.no/docs/1330c.pdf

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 03-09-2017, 10:54 PM

If you change the motor to 230 volt you could use one of these on your 240 volt supply -

http://www.gohz.com/5hp-vfd

Don't forget to change the taps on the control transformer for 240 input { looking at the picture in your manual it appears to be a dual tap control xmfr }

The vfd is a little oversized but bigger is better .
Old 03-10-2017, 06:08 PM

Picked up a used Sola buck-boost transformer.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:34 PM
Auction Addict

I thought you were going to change the motor to run on 230?

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain