Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

Canaweld
SFT Search:   

Old 03-13-2017, 06:40 AM

Default A different way to use a digital mic

So it goes,

Turning a bushing the final size of the OD would be less than 0.750. As I'm removing material and taking readings.

Being a simple man I said self, how about presetting the mic too 0.750 and zero it? Obviously the work piece OD of the bushing is larger. So open the mic and indicate it, then turn until I have zero..... too simple...

Feel free to flame, the only way to learn is to put it out there.

The boot,
Greg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmmyMGQojzI
Old 03-13-2017, 07:28 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi View Post
Feel free to flame,
Greg
Just a bit of a scorch. No Flames :-) That is for those that are "mathematically challenged" . :-)
...lew...
Old 03-13-2017, 08:15 AM
Gold Star Dad

Absolute/incremental modes.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:20 AM
Auction Addict

I do that and divide by 2 to get the amount needed on the dial. Eliminates math errors for me.

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 03-13-2017, 09:41 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Same here, but I don't have to divide, my crossfeed reads radius.
Pepi, here is a video on sneaking up on a dimension.
However, ask yourself how many times you can move your caliper and return to zero every time. Probably twice. A caliper makes a great calculator, and is good to rough to size, and I use it that way, but for the last bit you want to grab the mike.
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:42 AM
Something's Fishy ...

I do that all the time my main lathe is sett to remove inficated amount from diameter as is my DRO.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Same here, but I don't have to divide, my crossfeed reads radius.
Pepi, here is a video on sneaking up on a dimension.
However, ask yourself how many times you can move your caliper and return to zero every time. Probably twice. A caliper makes a great calculator, and is good to rough to size, and I use it that way, but for the last bit you want to grab the mike.
Ironman,

"crossfeed reads radius" how is that found ?

I ask because I noticed Tom took the OD reading, made note that he needed 0.120 taken off. He set - .120 so as when .000 was reached he had 1.125 OD. I was surprised the .120 was not divided by 2 .....now reading that your lathe is capable of reading a "crossfeed radius" my antenna is up.

I want to know how to check for that on my lathe? Thinking it could have that and I not know it...or is this one of those try it to find it type of deal? If that's the answer all I'm up for the adventure...

Like Tom's instruction videos very much, easy to follow the process.

Thanks in advance,
Greg

Last edited by pepi; 03-13-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:04 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Some of the Asian Lathes read in actual movement, ie. move the dial 10 thou and an indicator will show carriage movement of 10 thou.
This is real nice when you put hours of work into some project and then forget to divide by 2 and screw up the whole thing.
My lathe is an Indian creation(to the best of my knowledge) and when I dial in 2 thou on the crossfeed it will show on a dial indicator that I moved 1 thou.

So there it is. Mount a dial indicator on your lathe ways, and indicate off the tool post. Now move the dial on the cross feed and see where she goes to.
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Some of the Asian Lathes read in actual movement, ie. move the dial 10 thou and an indicator will show carriage movement of 10 thou.
This is real nice when you put hours of work into some project and then forget to divide by 2 and screw up the whole thing.
My lathe is an Indian creation(to the best of my knowledge) and when I dial in 2 thou on the crossfeed it will show on a dial indicator that I moved 1 thou.

So there it is. Mount a dial indicator on your lathe ways, and indicate off the tool post. Now move the dial on the cross feed and see where she goes to.
I worked at a shop that had two Indian HMT lathes, I don't know how it worked but the speeds were electronic, you could change speed without stopping the chuck. I only used them a few times but they were fairly rugged.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:44 AM

Thanks ironman,

I get it, neat will or must take that and see what I can do with it. Had to reread what was written, but it did sink in.

Sure will take some of the math out of it, more time for turning. I like the lathe can live without another math problem .... LMAO

cheers
Greg