Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

Canaweld
SFT Search:   

Old 03-14-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
That thing is a behemoth! Do they get much larger than that?

Thanks
Tim
Absolutely yes!

So big that the operator rides on the apron.

Think of the size lathe that is required to turn a propeller shaft for a cargo container ship.

Now go search youtube for some amazing video footage.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
That thing is a behemoth! Do they get much larger than that?

Thanks
Tim
Yes they get bigger, it's just not real common.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4Ok0LQx0Uc
Old 03-14-2017, 08:57 AM
Armchair Webbie

Hi Rufus, go on YouTube and look at the channel belonging to mrpete222.

He was the shop teacher that I surely, wished I'd had.

He has over 800 machine shop videos and will teach you pretty much anything you need to know about lathes, mills and machining in general.

Dave
Old 03-14-2017, 09:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to Rufus Send a message via Yahoo to Rufus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFab View Post
Yes they get bigger, it's just not real common.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4Ok0LQx0Uc
I have just two questions concerning that lathe...1) What would the horse power of the motor be on that and 2) about how much money is the machinist making per hour running such a machine as that?

Thanks
Tim
Old 03-14-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock6.3 View Post
Absolutely yes!

So big that the operator rides on the apron.

Think of the size lathe that is required to turn a propeller shaft for a cargo container ship.

Now go search youtube for some amazing video footage.
Big enough to ride the apron? I would think that, that would require some specialized training.

Thanks
Tim
Old 03-14-2017, 09:53 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMUrpTcoOlY

You will see some examples of lathes running, mainly a Brown & Sharp
cam automatic, and a Warner & Swasey turret lathe.

They do just like every other lathe, in moving the tools, just differently.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:33 PM

While the "advertised" size of a lathe will tell you the approximate size in many cases it's far from the actual working capacity of the machine. I have 3 lathes in the shop.

The smallest is listed as a 6" x 28" machine. The 6" designation is the largest diameter piece that will fit in a chuck without interfering with the ways. The 28" in this case is the supposed total length of the machine, not the useable distance between the chuck and the tailstock. In reality the machine's total length is 26 1/4". So in this case the "length" is more an advertising gimmick than anything else.

The next larger machine is listed as a 9" X 60" machine. In this case neither measurement accurately describes the working capacity of the machine. The actual largest diameter work that will fit in the chuck without interfering with the ways is 10 1/4" not the advertised 9". In this case the 60" is the total length of the bed, including the headstock and tailstock. The actual longest piece that can be placed between the headstock and tailstock is 40".

The largest lathe in the shop is listed as a 13" x 56" machine. In this case the working diameter is relatively close to the advertised size. The largest piece that can fit in a chuck without interfering with the ways is 13 1/8". Again the 56" length is not the length between the headstock and the tailstock, but rather the total length of the machine including the headstock and tailstock. The longest piece that will fit between the headstock and tailstock is 33".

In short the advertised sizes only give approximate dimensions of the machine, not the working length. I'm not sure if any manufacturer advertises the size of a lathe by the working length and diameter. Those dimensions are usually deeper in the specifications pages.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:47 AM
SFT Historian

Quote:
How about something to this effect? Could this possibly meet my machining needs?

Thanks
Tim

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5QKxoCjA_w_wcB

85% of your threads are about welding, Tell us what your machining needs are and size of parts you may machine. ?

The Lathe/mills are too small.
just trying to find a good small mill vise can be a challenge, that mill is not going to do well as a drill press.

The one in your link does not do threading. so No.
you would be better off with separate machines. not only that you would have to switch your setups back and forth from the lathe to mill .
Old 03-15-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
85% of your threads are about welding, Tell us what your machining needs are and size of parts you may machine. ?

The Lathe/mills are too small.
just trying to find a good small mill vise can be a challenge, that mill is not going to do well as a drill press.

The one in your link does not do threading. so No.
you would be better off with separate machines. not only that you would have to switch your setups back and forth from the lathe to mill .
Actually, I have no machining needs. I would like to purchase a lathe so I can start a new hobby (and as I stated in my original post, know the basics of a lathe so when I come here I know what is being talked about, when it comes to lathes). I have always wanted to get deeper into metal working. Growing up I was interested in ham radio and electronics so my dad pushed me in that direction and I think he was upset that I chose to enlist into the Air Force to work with munitions instead of going to college to peruse a degree in electronics. I graduated in 2005 with an 2 year degree in electronics. Well, my desires to do electronics has gone away and I have shifted toward mechanical/metal working. If I can get this back of mine repaired so I can stand on my feet all day then I want to get into a metal work shop of some sorts. That is why I want a lathe. I want to do some metal working. Welding....yes, but to expand outward That is why I come here to ask questions. I can ask questions all day and not be judged on this site I really do appreciate everyone's help concerning my questions about lathes. I really wish more people would join this forum so they could get their questions answered or if they have knowledge to share that they would so so.

Yeah, I love coming to this site

Thanks
Tim

Last edited by Rufus; 03-15-2017 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:09 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Well, with a background like that, buy a little HF 7x12 with a coupon, add
some stepper motors, Mach3, and a PC.

I'm sure there is a u-toob around somewhere, (here's one)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSf...GzUMkUcC-5oR_A
And see what else the person has posted, a whole series on the conversion.

and here's another one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHz84P5HMhs

Last edited by digger doug; 03-15-2017 at 11:14 AM.