Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 03-18-2017, 01:11 AM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Default Dril Site Islands In The Territories

In another thread...

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=47620 (Post #10)

...Gerry mentions working a dozer on some drill site islands in the Mackenzie River at Norman Wells in the Northwest Territories. His post reminded me that I have a bit of information to share.

Finning Tractor (the Caterpillar distributor) publishes an in-house magazine called "Tracks & Treads". It's primarily a publicity thing but they do contain a variety of interesting articles on construction projects involving Cat equipment. When the islands were being built T&T ran an article on them in the Dec. '83 issue. Back in those days we were on the mailing list and, since I still have that issue, I thought I'd post it here.

Sorry about the large file size but if I scanned it at a lower resolution it just turned to mush and was pretty hard to read. The first four pages are from Dec. but the last picture is from the cover of the July '84 issue.

The islands are still in place--you can see them here on Google Earth... 65.273999 -126.883653
Attached Files
File Type: pdf T&T-198312001.pdf (13.99 MB, 77 views)

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 03-19-2017, 12:09 AM
I can dig it

Interesting read, thanks for sharing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2017, 12:43 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

The last picture shows the rip-rapping to protect the islands. I never had a fancy high drive machine, just a straight frame 7E.
The newer high drives with bogie rollers can work large rock much better. Those bogies wrap the track around a stone and keep pushing while a straight frame track will tumble the rock out from under the track, and you are always feathering the decelerator.
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound.