Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 09-26-2017, 09:39 PM

Default Went looking for something and a few other things followed me home.

I went looking for a wood lathe chuck as the large wood lathe I made a few years ago has been designated to continue working as a drum sander (with an attachment I made to fit it) and will continue to do so as I don't have any large trunks to turn on it.

As there are a few smaller jobs that pop up occasionally and it is a bit of a hassle to remove the sander attachment, I started to build a smaller longer wood lathe, have most of the bits and steel laying around in the shed (apart from the chuck) gathering dust.

Dropped by to see a bloke up the coast from me who was selling off a few old wood tools, machines etc., from his shed, and although he didn't have a wood lathe chuck he did have a Dewalt 1251 radial arm saw, so negotiated a price of $50, been after one of these for ages as I wanted to convert one to cut granite and stone with a diamond saw. He did have an old home made wood lathe for sale but it was too "home made" for me.

Whilst I was chatting to him he did mention he had a better wood lathe in the other shed which he wasn't using but hadn't even thought about selling. So he showed it to me, turns out it was a 1997 Vicmark VL300. it holds a 1.2m spindle 300mm height off the bed and has a 2006 dual 1 and 3 phase 1.5HP motor on it. The spindle thread is 30mm x 3.5mm so any tooling bits that I get for it will directly fit on to the big wood lathe. Made him
an offer of $250 which he accepted and so that also followed me home.

Saves me time making a lathe from scratch, although I may make another one eventually and sell it off to help pay for some of the tools and bits that I will buy for this one. Overall I think I got a good deal on these two machines even though I still have to get a lathe chuck for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	141219   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	141220   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	141221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lathe side 1.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	141222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Head stock and lamp.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	141223  

-----------------------------------------
Miller Auto Invision 456 + S-62 Wirefeeder
G6240B1 Gap bed lathe
16 speed pedestal drill
16Ft3 air compressor
Hafco BS-912 Bandsaw
Everlast Powerpro 256

Recipient of the Finger Award™... twice
Old 09-26-2017, 09:41 PM

A few more pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Head stock end.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	141224   Click image for larger version

Name:	Head stock pulleys.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	141225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor plate.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	141226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tailstock.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	141227   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tool rest other side.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	141228  

G6240B1 Gap bed lathe
16 speed pedestal drill
16Ft3 air compressor
Hafco BS-912 Bandsaw
Everlast Powerpro 256

Old 09-27-2017, 04:54 AM
SFT Historian

Nice, radial arm saw is one of my favorite tools if you have the room.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:11 AM
Something's Fishy ...

Ah yes a finger eliminator
They were a must have tool when I had a small custom cabinet business.
I could not get them to retain the required accuracy so I sold them and just used a table saw and a lot of custom jigs. I knew the buyer of one of them and he called me from the hospital . he was not sure what happened but from what I saw he finished a cut and was removing the wood from the saw before the blade slowed it caught the work and the saw ran across his hand destroying three fingers.
I never owned another radial saw but I do own and use a 12 inch compound sliding miter saw a much safer design.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lingle View Post
Ah yes a finger eliminator
They were a must have tool when I had a small custom cabinet business.
I could not get them to retain the required accuracy so I sold them and just used a table saw and a lot of custom jigs. I knew the buyer of one of them and he called me from the hospital . he was not sure what happened but from what I saw he finished a cut and was removing the wood from the saw before the blade slowed it caught the work and the saw ran across his hand destroying three fingers.
I never owned another radial saw but I do own and use a 12 inch compound sliding miter saw a much safer design.
I have a couple of Rockwell 12" radial arm saws, when I bought the first one Fine Homebuilding had mail order tool advertisers listing those saws for around $1500.00, need to sell them but not going to get much for them, no longer have the space or need for a RAS.

To the OP, do you have 415 volt 3 phase? Prob. should refer to it as the now harmonized voltage of 400V.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:19 AM
Gold Star Dad

I have a DeWalt radial arm saw quite like that - Powershop 1200. Mine was given to me and is 1969 vintage. It even came with the original manual.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal View Post

To the OP, do you have 415 volt 3 phase? Prob. should refer to it as the now harmonized voltage of 400V.
Hi Norcal, yep, 3 phase installed several years ago when I got some 3 phase machinery. Not sure of what you mean by harmonized 400V as ours is a bit higher, using the base voltage of 245V AC combined it is about 427V AC.

G6240B1 Gap bed lathe
16 speed pedestal drill
16Ft3 air compressor
Hafco BS-912 Bandsaw
Everlast Powerpro 256

Old 10-04-2017, 06:52 AM

Well the Dewalt RAS had a very short stay at home, got an offer on it I couldn't refuse. I am not too disappointed in parting with it as I threw a bit of gumtree hardwood at it and apart from the motor body hitting the wood due to the limitations of having a 10" blade on it, it also seemed to bog down a little bit. It suited the guy who bought it as he is doing some home renovations. He had a much older version of it but it eventually gave up the ghost so he was very happy to get mine.

Also the fact that my missus bought me a big 12" Bosch sliding bevel saw last Christmas made the decision easier as I still can cut wood as usual.

Anyway the money I got for it paid for the 120mm wood chuck to fit the lathe. Just bought a single phase 3HP replacement motor for the lathe today, was originally going to buy a 3HP 3 phase motor for it but figured it would be easier to eventually resell (when I retire from pottering around in the shed) as a single phase lathe rather than a 3 phase which most people wouldn't have at home.

G6240B1 Gap bed lathe
16 speed pedestal drill
16Ft3 air compressor
Hafco BS-912 Bandsaw
Everlast Powerpro 256