Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 07-02-2016, 12:24 AM

I have entered a new phase of the project, one that I never thought I was going to have to undertake. As I was mapping out the frame of the machine I was coming to the unfortunate conclusion that the hydraulic rams were too long for the steel plates that I had. Buying a new 1/2" plate of steel was out of the budget and it was also out of the spirit of this project. I really want to make this out of surplus stock that was already in stock.
The lift that the hydraulic system came out of was a Western Lift, which just happens to be about 7 miles from my shop. I made a visit to their shop and their senior hydraulic tech Pablo walked me through cutting down the cylinders to fit the project better. I really went to their shop to go over different mounting locations and in the course of the conversation was convinced that I had the ability to shorten the rams and have better geometry for the project.
So here are the steps involved in shortening the cylinders by over 20". They started out at 52" and finished length is around 29".
1. Original length
2. Cutting the original weld
3. Cut and beveled cylinder
4. All the prepped components.
5. shortened cylinder on the prepped base.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hydraulic 1.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	133229   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydraulic 2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	133230   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydraulic 5.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	133231   Click image for larger version

Name:	hyrdaulic 4.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	133232   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydraulic 3.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	133233  

"Yes, we did produce a near perfect Republic. But will they keep it? Or will they in their enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the surest way to destruction. Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

Thomas Jefferson

If you spent 1 million dollars every day from the time Christ walked the earth until now, you still would not have spent 1 trillion dollars!
Old 07-02-2016, 12:38 AM

This next phase was a bit daunting because the rod is extremely hard. The hard chrome on the surface would not even bite with the file test. I had to resharpen my carbide tooling repeatedly. But in the end it all worked out and I am very happy with the end result.
1. Root pass
2. Finish weld
3. cut rod
4. milled end
5. Finial length assembled and new seals
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hydraulic 6.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	133234   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydraulic 9.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	133235   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydraulic 8.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	133236   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydraulic 7.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	133237   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydraulic 10.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	133238  

"Yes, we did produce a near perfect Republic. But will they keep it? Or will they in their enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the surest way to destruction. Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

Thomas Jefferson

If you spent 1 million dollars every day from the time Christ walked the earth until now, you still would not have spent 1 trillion dollars!
Old 07-02-2016, 09:46 AM
Something's Fishy ...

That looks very well done Mark.
I use a zip cutter to cut the rods a little long then machine to size in the lathe.
Is that a single ended cylinder? I did not see a second port in any of the pictures.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:11 AM

Yes they are single action. I may have to put some weight on them to get them to return.
I cut them long as well then cut off the extra after the lathe work was done. I experienced a lot of vibration because of the length of the rod and the hardness of it. Once I dampened the vibration it cut relatively well.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-31-2017, 09:24 PM

I had to take some time off of this project to concentrate on other projects, but it is still getting put together one piece at a time (Johnny Cash).
I have maintained a friendship with my old welding instructor and eventually took his job at the weld school. he was retiring and moving to Montana and was looking to get rid of a lot of stuff clogging his shop.
I purchased a weld table from him for $1000 that has a 1.5" steel top. It was 12 feet long and 4 feet wide. the price was well within the "great deal" range. I cut the table in half so it could fit in my shop, so it is now 6'x4'. The other 6 foot slab I cut in half again so now I have two 4'x3' slabs at 1.5". These will now be the frame of the Iron worker. The 6'x4' table by itself is worth the grand I laid down for it so I am not too bummed at spending the money.
The two slabs are thick enough and are more than adequate size for the project. They will not induce nightmares as I lie in bed thinking where is it going to fail?
I have it all drawn out and I need to have a buddy of mine plot it for the CNC water jet.
The next step is an all or nothing deal because where and how it is cut will determine the squareness of the tool and axle bore, if it is of by even a little it could spell disaster.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-31-2017, 09:39 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

I think you are doing well and no mistakes to this point. Congrats on the welding table, and getting the ironworker frame to boot.
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:58 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barn Owl View Post
The next step is an all or nothing deal because where and how it is cut will determine the squareness of the tool and axle bore, if it is of by even a little it could spell disaster.
Good luck!

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Oh! Come to think of it, I am home.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:49 PM
Auction Addict

Good to hear it s still progressing. I think you are correct about the alignment of the frame parts. It does have to be right on.

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 08-01-2017, 02:07 AM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barn Owl View Post
Hey Keith,
I was curious when you wrote "to punch a 5/8" hole in a 3/4" plate..." I was always told that you should not attempt to punch thicker than the diameter of the punch. Meaning you can punch 3/4" hole into 3/4" plate but not a 5/8" hole in 3/4". Is their a different rule? Because that would save a lot of time at the drill press.
Somehow I missed this till now. I think when I made the reply I might have reversed the 5/8" and 3/4" dimensions because you're absolutely right; in normal applications you don't punch holes smaller in diameter than the thickness of the material. As you get into larger punches you could probably get away with punching the occasional "under size" hole but it will be hard on the punch and die...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 08-01-2017, 09:33 PM

Thanks guys I am still on it and will keep you all informed as progress continues.

Keith, thanks for clarifying that, don't worry about missing the post, this project is moving at a glacial pace anyway.

Thomas Jefferson