Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 01-24-2011, 11:51 PM
Elite Member

I wasn't really thinking when I posted earlier. It would help if you had a sketch of your build or line of thought.

Length of travel and direction of motion are key to understanding how to lay out the arms in relation to the cylinder(s) and the punch and die frame setup. You essentially trade decreased motion on one end for an increase in force, like a lever. How do you get plan to get a vertical or near linear motion?

Bill

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:45 AM

Yeah I should draw something up, mostly what I am going to build is the Scotchman version because that is what I have available to measure and scale.
I know that the cutting side of the arm will not be 1 foot away from the pivot point so I am not thinking that I will need a 4 foot arm. But stil many hours of designing

"Yes, we did produce a near perfect Republic. But will they keep it? Or will they in their enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the surest way to destruction. Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

Thomas Jefferson

If you spent 1 million dollars every day from the time Christ walked the earth until now, you still would not have spent 1 trillion dollars!
Old 01-26-2011, 05:06 PM

Here's a picture of my Uni-Hydro 56/14 as I was bringing it home a feww years ago. All the pivot points are bushed as someone said. A true joy to own & operate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5614two-1.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	71039  

Last edited by cutter; 01-26-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:32 PM
Elite Member

Mike Van,

First off welcome to this little part of the world. I really like your slug tray and drop off system. You stated the photo was of when you brought the 56/14 home, so I assume it was on there already. I may make something similar for my 42/14. How do you like the Uni-Hydro?

Last edited by Pat; 01-26-2011 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Goofed
Old 01-26-2011, 06:17 PM

Hi Pat - I bought the machine used, barely used. The previous owner had made the chute & catcher, it does work good. The machine itself is just something to behold when it's being used, people watch in awe as it punches a 3/4 hole in a second. Sure beats the pilot hole, oil can, finished size, oil can, clean up the mess. I don't use it a lot, or haven't yet - but there's a few things yet I need to build at the sawmill, so it should get the dust wiped off it from time to time. As far as building one of these, build heavy is all I can say. Hydraulic pressure never ceases to amaze me.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:42 PM
Curmudgeon

Welcome aboard, mike van.

Please check out the first item in our FAQ.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Oh! Come to think of it, I am home.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:53 PM
jhill

arn Owl
Which model Scotchman are you going to copy. Several different styles available.

Jerry
Old 01-27-2011, 04:32 AM
Blast this!

Welcome Mike Van. Our way of doing pictures is covered in FAQ. The new software will resize a lot of them so the 100K can go up a bit.
Be sure to check out these special sections of our site that you might not be aware of:

1. http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/faq.php 2.Product/Equipment Review Index

3.. Website Equipment, Supplier and OEM Index

4. http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/faq.phpEquipment Index[/URL]

5. Tricks and Tips

We look forward to adding your projects, tips or product reviews to these indexes in the near future.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:11 AM

Thanks for all the tips - Mike
Old 01-27-2011, 10:26 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Mike, welcome to the site, and Barn Owl here's another thought.
I have a 21 ton mechanical ironworker. It uses a crank and pitman arm to multiply torque and tonnage. You get 21 tons pressure out of a 1 hp motor linked mechanically. It may be worth thinking about.
You could have a hydraulic cylinder on a bellcrank arm with a second mounting hole close to the pivot shaft. On this you would have a connecting rod to the shear plate. You only need about 1/2 inch of movement on the shear plate so it could be setup so the connecting rod to the bellcrank is almost over centre as the shear closes.
At the 20 degrees and less point before top dead centre, the leverage is immense.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ironworker .jpg
Views:	200
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	71112  
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound.