Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 07-30-2017, 11:12 AM

Default making or buying a utility trailer

Hello all, would like input on if it's worth it to buy or build a utility trailer. My nephew just purchased a house and money is tight for him. would like to surprise him with a trailer. He would use it to transport building materials from home depot and to the dump. Do you need an engineering degree, or is it pretty straight forward. If I build one, would like to make it 8 feet long. This way, he can just slide lumber or standard size drywall onto it. will be pricing stuff. Thanks
Old 07-30-2017, 11:20 AM
Elite Member

Would mostly depend on if you have the materials to work with already. You can easily build something stronger and better than you can buy, but if you have to buy all the materials new, the cost might be about the same. My brother bought a trailer from Lowes several years ago and for the price, I couldn't build it for that, unless I gave my labor away. But it depends on how much you plan on using it, and how much you will be overloading it too.

If you build it yourself, you will have the satisfaction that it will handle anything he hauls though. I know I can't usually build anything that is not overbuilt to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 07-30-2017, 11:32 AM

http://shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47619
Vernon did a thread on an awesome small trailer build take a look.
You will spend almost as much building one but quality counts, also check into licencing a shopbuilt trailer in your jurisdiction
Old 07-30-2017, 11:34 AM
Auction Addict

Picking up a used trailer is usually the cheapest route. Just make sure you get one that is suitable for the weight you plan to carry.

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 07-30-2017, 11:43 AM
Chairman of the Headboard

Ive always owned several trailers, my whole life ( at least 9 in the fleet at the moment ), Ive never built one, as the others guys have pointed out. Last two new purchases, I had custom built to my spec, still could not touch it for the $.

I have a 5'x9' single axle tilt trailer I paid $300 used, its used for moving ATVs, UTVs, golf carts, gators, and the like. I have moved some boxed stuff on it, but have a 14' enclosed trailer so I dont move much as far as materials ( this gets allot of the traffic the 5x9 would otherwise see ). There are 3 pickups with tags and insurance sitting in yard, so if I just need a hand full of anything, I take a truck, and not a trailer, but it would work fine for that.

At $300 used, I added new bearings, new wheels and tires for it for piece of mind. Cant talk about building it for $300. I put over a grand in weight in it most the time its being used.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:45 AM

I buy used and rehab what I feel isn't up to par.
Texas recently went to inspecting trailers and now the prices are going up on new trailers that can pass the inspections and down on all the rest. Most of the older trailers just need working brakes and tires to inspect.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:32 PM
Elite Member

Are you in, or near, a collage town?
Most of them have at least on place that buys and sell trailers from the students moving in and out.
A classic case of buy low sell high depending on the time of year.
But they can have a good selection.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:12 PM
Elite Member

Harbor freight has a 4x8 trailer. Well it is really a trailer kit. 1000 lb capacity. $300 plus a sheet of plywood, or two and a half sheets and a couple of 2x4's if you want sides. And a full day to assemble.

I got one to use around the yard. Primarily to haul the shakes from my old roof to the burn pile. I have not bothered to put the lights on it, since I don't use it on the road.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:31 PM

You might take a look on Craigslist, I have seen several on there at different times. You would want to look one over very close before buying.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:26 AM

thanks for the responses. checked craigslist in my area, and found that some of the asking price, I can buy a new one. will keep checking other options.