Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 08-11-2017, 03:04 PM

Exclamation Help-Where are the press brake operators???

Hi,
I am coming here out of desperation and frustration and am hoping someone here can help us. Our family has a small sheet metal fabrication shop for over 30 years in the Los Angeles area. Over time, we have increasingly had difficulty finding qualified press brake operators. And now, difficulty has nearly reached impossibility. We advertise via Indeed, Monster, Craigslist, and now ZipRecruiter. We have used 2 separate agencies with zero luck. The last agency told us basically all the qualified people are currently working so they have no one to send us. The few people that have actually showed for an interview were not at all familiar with our machine had no interest to try to learn. Truthfully, we simply do not have time to train anyone. At all. But, in light of the fact we are nearly giddy when someone actually applies, responds and shows up for an interview, we are willing to do more training than we really have time for.

Can anyone here tell me if I am advertising in the wrong places? If so, where do I go? We have a Cincinnati brand 60CBII x 4 FT. Press Brake. Is that some sort of weird thing that no one knows?

I am really praying someone can give us some guidance. I am simply out of ideas
Old 08-11-2017, 03:51 PM
Director: Fish Seduction

It may or not be any help, but try local community colleges that teach the trades. At least maybe you'll find somebody who's willing to learn and they'll have half an idea what you're wanting done.

Out here though, anybody that's skilled has a job as well. Those who don't have no interest in being employed. There's a whole helluva lot of that going on right now across all the trades. Nobody wants to work, especially a full-time job when they can work part time and get by just fine.

www.nfpd.us
Old 08-11-2017, 04:17 PM
Auction Addict

Read your ad on CL. Looks like a good ad. Not being nosy, but are you paying the going rate there for a qualified operator? Have you placed your ad in San Diego, for example, to see if someone wants to relocate?

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 08-11-2017, 04:41 PM

Default Thanks for the replies..

Actually we did try one school and the lady who ran the program said she'd publish our name in the newsletter all of the graduates from the school receive. We never got a single response.

I believe we are in the range of what the other shops in the area offer, but we have a problem even getting anyone to respond to the ads. Let alone show up for an interview.

I never thought about advertising in another area, but we have had a few people in other states apply for various positions. They have asked for money to re-locate, and we have declined. But it's something to consider to try.

Thanks again for your input. Any and all help is appreciated!
Old 08-11-2017, 05:46 PM
SFT Historian

Someone from San Diego? never.
===
===
Santa Fe Springs, Rosemead...... in California is assumed or looked at as Laborer cities, if they cant find someone in those cities it is unlikely any one from any other city will be interested.

Rents are to high for wages, in other words get out of California, all California wants is their people selling marijuana.

As for your ad
You need to also list it in Manufacturing

As for Compensation: Depends on Experience (yeah right)
That is as good as saying we will pay you the least we can and is generally under 10hr.
you need to put in a going $ range.

Then the insult ..
"Must have extensive experience & knowledge of:" Bla bla bla ......we want the best for that low wage we will pay you.

without a pay range that is all you are saying.

your ad is asking for a top notch person better be paying well over $16hr - $25 ( at the same how long do you want the person to stay).
IIRC Costco starts at $15 why get your hands dirty in a metal shop and smell like a oil can.?
Old 08-11-2017, 06:39 PM

Default Thank you for your honesty...

Wow, you know you may be right. I never thought of it like that. Well, not the California part, that I know for sure. But the compensation part, I had not considered. I'll talk to my mom (the owner) and see what she'd like to do. I appreciate your input, truly.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:42 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

What happened to the other press brake operators that left ?

Stop praying and start paying a living wage.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:15 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Lisarenee2, I have employed many people over different jobs in my life. And worked under many different supervisors. Most were assholes and I quit after a while. But some guys I was willing to walk through fire for. And this puzzled me. After a few years, whenever I would happen to be under one of those good ones, or better when I was supervising and working along side them, I studied them to try to find out their secret and copy it.

My first sign of success was to see my accident frequency rate go down to the lowest of all the supervisors at the mine. The second sign of success was to always beat the monthly production budget by the 20th. And the third was to have my supervisors come to me and ask me to take on hardcases that no other shiftbosses wanted on their crews.

What I am saying is that people, men especially, respond to how they are treated. I think you are a woman, as is your mother, and they tend to think(and feminists tell them) that they have to be tougher than men, because men are the enemy. When I worked for a woman I was treated as the enemy.
Men don't take that shit, women shouldn't either. Respect your employee as a person, even if you fire them, and be truly concerned about their welfare. Never raise your voice, even when disciplining. A person who shouts is a weak person.
Pay a great wage, if you have a great person. If they are not great, get rid of them. In mines men are paid on what they produce. I have used this in other areas.
I was in charge of a barite grinding and bagging operation, and I noted that people were quitting early and heading for the lunch room. I put up a notice that every time we bagged and wrapped over 90 pallets in a shift I would pay everyone $50 on top of wages.
What happened? Well, first thing that happened is everyone started pulling together, and in a week, with no early quitting, they each made their $50 bucks. In the next 5 weeks they made it 4 more times. One time I watched them working like crazy to make 90 and the grinder ran out of feed before they could complete, and they drifted over to the lunch room dejected. I wound my watch back 15 minutes and went in the door pointing at my watch and roaring. "What are you assholes doing in here? you got 15 minutes left and you dumbasses almost had it made"
Everyone looked at each other and never said a word and ran out to the machines where there was now enough to complete the 90th pallet.

Notice when I chose to raise my voice, and when I said nothing, and how production increased. The Board of Directors frowned on this for a bit til they saw what was happening. $50 was nothing compared to the increase of 20 pallets a day on average that happened.

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green
Old 08-11-2017, 09:29 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
Someone from San Diego? never.
===
===
Santa Fe Springs, Rosemead...... in California is assumed or looked at as Laborer cities, if they cant find someone in those cities it is unlikely any one from any other city will be interested.

Rents are to high for wages, in other words get out of California, all California wants is their people selling marijuana.

As for your ad
You need to also list it in Manufacturing

As for Compensation: Depends on Experience (yeah right)
That is as good as saying we will pay you the least we can and is generally under 10hr.
you need to put in a going $ range.

Then the insult ..
"Must have extensive experience & knowledge of:" Bla bla bla ......we want the best for that low wage we will pay you.

without a pay range that is all you are saying.

your ad is asking for a top notch person better be paying well over $16hr - $25 ( at the same how long do you want the person to stay).
IIRC Costco starts at $15 why get your hands dirty in a metal shop and smell like a oil can.?

Yep, I think he is spot on.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:30 PM

Default Hmmmm....

Well, I tried to take things said as constructive. However, I now feel I need to clarify a few things.

Firstly, as for my mom, she owns the company. My dad started it with her all those years ago. He died 7 years ago. It crushed her, as it did all of us. She is the owner now, but she is so soft spoken and worried about hurting feelings, she gets walked on constantly by employees. She remains doing the bookeeping and office work as she always has. My husband, who started sweeping floors there over 20 years ago, now is running the entire business. He is an amazing man, as was my dad and they expect the best from the employees.

The other press brake operators? We do have one and an amazing one, but we need one more. He can not do it all. And my husband who mastered the brake years and years ago is still doing that, and alllll the other stuff too. But again, we need more help. I can remember 4 different ones since I have been there. The first one would not show up at least once a week. We put up with it for 2 years. Finally he was caught drinking in the parking lot next door during lunch and we finally fired him. The second, again never showed up. He was good, but drank so we let him go. Then unable to find anyone else, we hired him back after he swore he was better. He was not. Fired him finally again. The other was a family member who moved to another state. The last said he knew how to run this brake, but didn't. He cost us so much in material that we had to re-do, but begged him to stay because of the hard time we have to find another. He in turn begged us to fire him. We didn't. He said he wouldn't return and so we said if you don't want to return, we can't keep you. Four days after he didn't come to work, we received unemployment papers stating he was laid off. We contested, but he got it anyway. Lovely.

As for a living wage, that is an assumption that we are not. It is the constant lament of employees who have absolutely no idea what it entails to be an OWNER. I have been on both sides of the fence and believe I can walk that fine line of seeing both sides of the coin as far as the employer/employee relationship. But unless it has been YOUR money, time, heart, soul invested in a business, you have a skewed view of what it means.

All most employees think is how the owner lives off the sweat of the poor, downtrodden employees and goes home and night and rolls naked in the piles of money we make off of them. That's the fantasy. The REAL picture is the owner sitting up wondering what to tell the customer when the order is late AGAIN because the welder didn't read the drawings correctly and welded things upside down. Or the parts were shipped to the wrong place. Or things were scratched. Worried sick about deadlines and costs and material that has been wasted. And jobs that have to be done more than once because many employees are there for their time and once the 5 o'clock whistle blows, so do they. Don't dare question being on their cell phone over and over. Don't have the nerve to write them up when they don't show up for work (amazing how many people are ill on MONDAY). They grumble and whine about being asked to do something extra, like clean the restroom. "Why me??". And one more thing...yes, our company is successful. And my parents made a good living off it. Should they feel guilty for that? Every person in this country has the right to start a business as they did. They had to put their home up for collateral to buy the machinery they got in the beginning. My parents went without a check for 2 years, my mom actually for 3. When there was not enough money to pay for material or whatever, they paid for them out of their pocket. They saved their money for years in order to have enough to do what was necessary to start the company and survive. And survive they did. And thrive.

If you are hard working, CARE about your job and the company you work for, you will be duly rewarded. If you are there to clock in and out and don't give a crap about the company you work for, then you won't. I am proud of our company and how we treat our people.

I assume I won't hear anything now about the help I was requesting, but to those who were trying to help, I truly appreciate it.