Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 03-25-2017, 08:03 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by allessence View Post
Well a few stiff drinks, Maybe a shoulder rub or you can even try to massage the ears.. Great stress reducers..

If you have an old hand made chain you want to rehab then just hit the end of the chain like in the testing showed in the video. Just don't flatten as much.. You can also do this with company made chain but it's probably not time efficient..

Ideally there is a cost to longevity ratio.. If someone is killing chain that often it might be worth spending a little more and buying a higher quality, higher load chain..
I like the first suggestion best about the massage stuff. I will ask and see if she is willing.

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 03-25-2017, 08:47 PM
Something's Fishy ...

We were removing a security fence from around a closed prison as part of a contract to return the site to pristine park the pulling tool was a 300 class excavator. we had pulled about 50 posts when we got to an anchor post in the middle of the fence the rigger wrapped the chain around the post and over the corner tooth on the bucket a slight curl and the piece of chain around the tooth left. the post was not bent and had not moved so I dug a concrete monolith anchored with cables and a solid steel post after it was loose I could only drag it out of the hole . I think that originally it had a manned guard tower on it.
the remaining chain was now long link 70 chain but the failed link left with the missing section.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:43 AM
I can dig it

Had some time to watch this one this morning.

Awesome video Jenn! As always, you make it look easy!

As far as the video itself, I watched it on my phone, nice and clear even on the small screen. The one small issue I noticed, was near the beginning, a couple of the screens of text were shown a bit too short a time. I'm a fairly fast reader, and was struggling to read it before it disappeared.

And I think the nails are a nice touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2017, 12:27 PM
Elite Member

Nice video Jennifer! I really like the text helping clue us in and adding info. Especially the helpful hints like how you hold the link in the tongs a certain way so you can judge the length of the bend. It is hints like this that will help everyone else, and will help people that want to learn how to do what you do! Thanks for taking time to share your expertise.

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 03-26-2017, 02:13 PM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lingle View Post
We were removing a security fence from around a closed prison as part of a contract to return the site to pristine park the pulling tool was a 300 class excavator. we had pulled about 50 posts when we got to an anchor post in the middle of the fence the rigger wrapped the chain around the post and over the corner tooth on the bucket a slight curl and the piece of chain around the tooth left. the post was not bent and had not moved so I dug a concrete monolith anchored with cables and a solid steel post after it was loose I could only drag it out of the hole . I think that originally it had a manned guard tower on it.
the remaining chain was now long link 70 chain but the failed link left with the missing section.
Ouch.. To bad there wasn't a market for stretched chain.. I think you would have cornered it on that one..

How long did it take to realize it wasn't going to be an easy pull???

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
Had some time to watch this one this morning.

Awesome video Jenn! As always, you make it look easy!

As far as the video itself, I watched it on my phone, nice and clear even on the small screen. The one small issue I noticed, was near the beginning, a couple of the screens of text were shown a bit too short a time. I'm a fairly fast reader, and was struggling to read it before it disappeared.

And I think the nails are a nice touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks..

Funny you should mention the writing.. I try to find a balance.. I figure if someone can't finish it they will get pretty close and then can just rewind or pause it.. Or at least that is the thought once someone understands the rhythm of how I post videos.. (Different than others I have seen)

I usually edit a video 4 times at the computer. Then watch it 2X before I post it to Youtube and usually there is still something to be fixed on the 2 full viewings..

The process is really very long.. The chain video was upwards of 15hrs..

So, as for duration of instructions or hints.. I watch them 4 times and adjust the length till I have about a 1/2 second of extra air time.. I even try to read it slowly as if I haven't ever seen it before..

So, with that said.. I'll add extra time, next time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
Nice video Jennifer! I really like the text helping clue us in and adding info. Especially the helpful hints like how you hold the link in the tongs a certain way so you can judge the length of the bend. It is hints like this that will help everyone else, and will help people that want to learn how to do what you do! Thanks for taking time to share your expertise.
Thanks for the feedback and you are certainly welcome.. I really hope any of you guys who are interested in the blacksmith stuff will be able to be helped by this stuff..

Thanks again..

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.