Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 03-20-2017, 08:33 PM
Auction Addict

Default New Saw

My Echo chainsaw is 37 years old and is now requiring too much tuning every other time I use it. So in the market for a new saw. Am considering the Husqvarna 450 20" 50.2cc. I can get one for $322.99 shipped to my door.

My use is minimal, since the only wood I cut is for the shop wood stove. What you all think about this saw?

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 03-20-2017, 11:54 PM
Something's Fishy ...

I have been running stihl saws for 45 years ans have been happy with them. A slow pay customer left a lbrand new husky 440 as collateral on a $200 debt then did not come back and pay his bill so I owned a light duty husky. I actually enjoyed using it easy reliable starts reasonable power on the dinky chain. If I had used it for light duty it would stil be a saw but I tried to cut one tank of firewood. about 2/3 of a tank in I shut down to clean up the work area. No start not tight but low compression. Thefuel mix was my standard 50:1 oil mixed at 40:1 in premium gas. I mix 10 L at a time and was about 2/3 through the batch so this issue was not due to bad fuel. tear down showed that the cylinder had worn through the crome plating and then broke the ring land interesting thec ring was not broken but the saw was done as parts were 70% of new price. note this saw did not last 2/3 of the toy chain on it. I do not feel that I was particularly hard on the saw as the wood being cut was all 10 inch spruce and the saw was cutting like I expected and not overloading.
after using a lighter saw around the log pile I wanted something a step up from the light duty husky as in a"farm "class saw.

Next trip to town I went looking at a new 60 CC Stihl $800 CDN out the door with a 24 inch bar and two chains. Mamma frowned so I went to the other dealer same saw same price.
This shop also handles Echo so I looked and ended up with a timber wolf CS 590 with a 24 inch bar and two chains for under $500 tax in.
What sold me besides Mamma smiled was the warrantie - 5 years

Now this saw is 2 years old and has about 35 cord through it it is my buck a pile saw The Stihl 460 with a27 inch skip tooth set up is my falling saw and bigger wood saw but most of the cutting I do is done with the Echo.
I would look at the three saws Husky Stihl and Echo.
looking at homeowner level then ranch or mid level then at professional level to see what each has to offer as well as the limitations of each class. before you make a choice. for sure the pro saws are pricey but after looking at them you can see the bang for buck in the other saws.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:28 AM
Blast this!

We own a 250 ,290 Stihl ,a 2155 johnsred .and a 572 xp husky .The Husky is due for a new jug and piston .At least look at farm grade . The poulon can be bought cheep and if you always keep a spare my be a good deal .I have friends that keep a good saw and a couple of wally specials .when the good saw gets hung up.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:02 AM

Another vote for Stihl...good power.
Greg
Old 03-21-2017, 11:11 AM

What you are considering is probably fine for your intentions. I have a '99 Husky 51 and '03 Husky 55 Rancher. Mine are metal cases while the 400 series I believe has a plastic crankcase.
I cut about 20 full cord per year between my outdoor stove, the FIL's outdoor stove and a customer. FIL's older Poulans just sit and I keep him busy on the loader. I bought the 51 new and was my only saw until two years ago. I compression tested the 51 last year and it is still good.

The 51 is 49cc and I have a 16" bar with .325 chain. Light saw (my opinion after using dad's Homelite Super XL auto for years.) and easy to use. the 450 must be just a little smaller.

Stihls are great too. My dad has one now and really likes it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Jeff

I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.--Red Green

Home is where the G91G28X0Y0 is.

Last edited by JH35; 03-21-2017 at 02:00 PM. Reason: sp
Old 03-21-2017, 02:23 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
Am considering the Husqvarna 450 20" 50.2cc.
I traded a Ford 9" rear for a nib Husq 450. Still in the box and no trees have suffered as of yet.

It is a nice looking saw.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:26 PM
Master Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi View Post
Another vote for Stihl...good power.
Greg
Yep, me too.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:33 PM

Ahhh. didn't see you mentioned the 50.2 cc. Very similar size to my model 51 then. Cool.

I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.--Red Green

Home is where the G91G28X0Y0 is.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:44 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH35 View Post
Ahhh. didn't see you mentioned the 50.2 cc. Very similar size to my model 51 then. Cool.
I did not want a home owner saw, more like a farm level saw. The one I linked is a farm level saw. Over the years I have noticed people are pretty brand orientated on saws. Nothing bad to say about the Echo, just that it is getting too old and it is time for a new saw, and we have a Husqvarna dealer her in town.

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 03-21-2017, 05:05 PM
That HURT!

I'm partial to Stihl.
I have an 029 professional arborist saw that is almost 30 years old and it never misses a beat and always starts.

I have a farm grade Stihl with an 18" bar (I forget the model#) and it is an OK saw. There is a big difference between the Pro grade saws and anything else, you do get what you pay for.

I can't say anything bad about Echo. In my youth I worked at a small equipment dealer and we sold Echo equipment to the landscape contractors and all of their power equipment was tough as nails. Those contractors could beat the shit out of a chain saw and not kill them.