Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 11-25-2017, 04:53 AM
Post Fiend

Smile Cat in the attic!

My son was complaining about his Xbox "lagging" when someone else was watching Netflix with a Roku. Both running off the wireless router. I said to him "you want to help me fix it?" "uh, ok..." So I explained this would require hooking it directly to the router with a CAT5 network cable. He will be 15 next week, btw.

The main issue was that the router and Xbox are at separate ends of the house. The house is fairly big and the distance between them was at least 60'. It's 80' end-to-end. I explained to him we would have to run CAT5 (which I had for this purpose) in the attic and in the walls using the existing holes where the coax came out. Then we would have to strip the wire and crimp on ends.

First we moved some furniture and I had him pull the coax wall plates to see if there was room and there was plenty. So up into the attic we went to see what had to be done from above.

The attic is good-sized with trusses. I have previously installed catwalks for just about the entire length to ease ingress and egress. It is still a PITA having to climb over the truss members every 2'. And then there are the phone lines and other wiring that the numbnuts who installed it pulled tight like a guitar sting and left it on top of the members so it was a trip hazard... Plus A/C ducting and skylights... And I'm convinced the place was a call center in a previous life by the amount of phone lines and jacks in there!

He didn't HAVE to go up there with me but I wanted him to learn how to navigate in cramped quarters... It was nighttime so it was nice and cool. I left him up there for 5-10min while I gathered tools. The first location we ran the CAT5 was on the far end of the house from the attic ladder. The second was a bit closer to the ladder.

The game plan ended up being him down below while I fished the CAT5 with the HF rods (shown below) from above. Well worth the $8 I paid for them a while back. Needed three 3' sections to get the cable down to the hole from the attic. We communicated via cell phone. He did a very good job catching the wire and rod and pulling them out the hole and untaping them, then I pulled the rod back up, then he pulled the wire through as I fed it to him. We worked very well together! I had him pull about an extra 20' through for future use, if needed.

While he swept up any dust bunnies, put the wall plates back on and moved the furniture back, I ran the wire to the other hole. By then he was ready to catch the wire and rod from below and so on.

Once done with the attic work and cleanup, I showed him how to crimp one end on and then he did the other one. Hooked them to the router and Xbox and no more lagging! He is a happy camper! Used about 120' of cable.

Eventually, I will put another router as an extender and the Xbox can connect to that...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wiringrods.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	142274  

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...

Last edited by mccutter; 11-25-2017 at 05:18 AM.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:44 AM
One Lone Sub

The nice thing about little jobs like that is there's a beginning and an end. A sense of completion and accomplishment.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:30 PM

The fiberglass push rods are pretty handy.
But nothing beats a line thrower.

I've used a crossbow, a recurve bow, a golf ball with a hole drilled in it (any of these and dacron braided fishing line)

For this old guy who is tired of crawling thru the attic the right solution is this co2 powered line thrower: https://www.discount-low-voltage.com...CABEgIzCfD_BwE
Old 11-25-2017, 12:46 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

When I read the title I thought "he's shot a feral cat in the attic and may be to fat to get it out"

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green
Old 11-25-2017, 01:15 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
When I read the title I thought "he's shot a feral cat in the attic and may be to fat to get it out"
I was thinking the same thing, How the hell did a cat get in his attic
Old 11-25-2017, 04:45 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemist View Post
I was thinking the same thing, How the hell did a cat get in his attic

CLICKBAIT! Gotcha!

MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart 250ci plasma
Old 11-25-2017, 07:54 PM
Elite Member

Last time I ran cable/wire trough an attic I used a light weight spin fishing rod and reel with the line tied to a medium sized nut. Used the archer's cast to toss the nut where I wanted it to go in order to attach and retrieve the wire.

Last edited by Gadgeteer; 11-25-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:35 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgeteer View Post
Last time I ran cable/wire trough an attic I used a light weight spin fishing rod and reel with the line tied to a medium sized nut. Used the archer's cast to toss the nut where I wanted it to go in order to attach and retrieve the wire.
This was not an option as the wires had to be fished down a small hole in each wall. I don't think my cast would have been that accurate! Besides, I ran the CAT5 cleanly and under many obstacles...

MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart 250ci plasma