Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 12-04-2017, 10:51 PM
I can dig it

I've also used some heat on the joint and then put the grease to them, that sometimes will loosen up the old grease/dirt enough to get things moving again. Only good for plain bushings and pins, nothing with bearings in.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:10 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to OleDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
May seem like a dumb question but if you took the zerk out to check it why didn't you just replace it?

The only time I've used one of those cleaning tools was on a machine where we had a zerk that was dead and damned near impossible to reach with regular tools. We made up an extension for the cleaning tool and it did the job. In that case it saved us a lot of grief but if the fitting is accessible enough that you can take it out easily I can't see why you wouldn't replace it...
I didn't replace it because it was working just fine. The plug was set up grease and dirt around the pin and bushing. I put an angled zerk to make it easier to use the cleaning tool, but then I put the original one back in because of clearance issues.

OleDog

Do not compute the totality of your poultry population until all the manifestations of incubation have been entirely completed.

Nothing says "Poor Workmanship" like wrinkles in your duct tape!!
Old 12-06-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
My next step from there is a porta power coupler reduced to 1/8 npt. Hyd jack oil under high pressure gets through most anything.
That's my method. If it doesn't work and its something like a spring pin that wont be damaged, I pump it up to 10,000 lbs. and add heat from a torch. Then stand out of the way, those red hot drops of oil and old grease smart.