Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 12-21-2017, 06:48 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Good, I was imagining you chasing BB's out of threads for ever
That's why you plug the holes with allen head socket screws.

“In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.” Charles de Gaulle
Old 12-21-2017, 06:51 PM
Standard of Excellence

There is not a lot of clamping force in a home made 1/2" HR round clamp. Take a look at some of the commercially available clamps and size your holes for those.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
There is not a lot of clamping force in a home made 1/2" HR round clamp. Take a look at some of the commercially available clamps and size your holes for those.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:06 AM

Drilling 100 or more 1/2" diameter holes through 1" mild steel can be done with a quality HSS twist drill, even without coolant or re sharpening, I have done this several times.

The trick is to start with a sharp drill, proper feed and spindle speed. The idea basically is to keep the drill cutting into relatively cool steel. The drill should advance into the hole close to the same speed as the heat is conducting in it. My experience with beginners is they tend to be light on feed pressure. Get everything right and you won't have to MESS with cutting oil.

My fab tables all have 1/2-13 threaded holes. I often use standard machine table hold down tooling to fixture the work. I can also easily make custom fixtures with readily available bolts and threaded rod. With a machine tap you could cut the thread using the same set-up as drilling. Tapping a 1/2" hole at 500 RPM can also be done with a bit of practice and cutting oil.

The hole spacing is also standard in my shop. This way I can use fixtures anywhere including my machine table and the rear bumper of my service truck.

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.