Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 01-02-2018, 09:07 AM
trust but verify

Default Kidde fire exinguihser recall "shopping list".

There have been multiple Kidde and other brand fire extinguisher recalls besides the recent 37 million unit recall currently on the news.. You can find the makes and models (Kidde made quite a variety) online and know what to look for at yard sales, swap meets or where ever ya can get them for little or nothing.

I do that anyway since extinguishers and lots often go dirt cheap. I have two FA 340s, ran their serials on the Kidde site and two new replacements are on the way.

https://inmarmarketaction.com/kidde/Kidde284US/

Henceforth I'll look up extinguisher models on my phone since ya can never have too many. Got dry chem extinguishers? Google make, model and "recall".

I lost a GS750 to an electrical fire (fortunately it was outdoors) many years ago and made damn sure since I have more than enough fire extinguishers. I also hang my welding blanket in easy reach for convenient smothering.

Being the safety conscious guy I am, I will now hunt affected models at yard sales, auctions etc and use recall info as a shopping list. Why not help remove dangerous equipment from use and protect home and shop?
Old 01-02-2018, 10:41 AM
Gold Star Dad

A local high school kid who did a tour in Iraq with the Marines (in Karl's unit) worked at a fire extinguisher company for a time. We were going to get together and have some beer and shoot at condemned extinguishers. Never got around to it.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:35 AM
Director: Fish Seduction

I received my 4th 'recall replacement' extinguisher over the weekend. Problem is, I only called in 3 units. Dunno what to do with the new one that showed up. It's much nicer than any of the little ones I sent back.

I suppose I'll just hang onto it and see what happens. After going through the hassle of talking to their agent, and more specifically calling FedEX to deal with the returns, I'm not in a rush to properly fix the issue. The Kidde call center seemed to be hit and miss on proper information even though it was spelled out pretty well in their online recall list. FedEX can suck a toe. Shipping anything back with a pre-paid return label should never be that difficult--ever.

www.nfpd.us