Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 01-09-2018, 12:35 AM
Curmudgeon

Default Steel Building Erection Manual

Gazza thoughtfully sent this to me tonight after he was unable to upload it as an attachment. It was originally released by Icon Steel Buildings in Seguin, Texas. I think it's fun that it went from Texas to Australia and now has returned to Texas.

It is a manual that covers steel buildings step-by-step from site planning through trim, and even to skylights and adding rain gutters.
Seems to me to be a useful reference whether you plan to buy a finished package, including installation, or if you want to do it yourself.

Let us know what you think of it, including additional information that you feel should have been mentioned.
If you think it deserves including in the General Technical Information forum we can add it to the list.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf steel_building_erection_manual.pdf (8.26 MB, 46 views)

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Oh! Come to think of it, I am home.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:00 AM
Auction Addict

I see it was done quite a few years ago. Materials and techniques are quite a bit different now days. Still a lot of useful information though.

“In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.” Charles de Gaulle
Old 01-09-2018, 02:35 AM

Neither the fabricator nor the BUYER/END USER will cut, drill or otherwise alter his work, or the work of other trades, to accommodate other trades, unless such work is clearly specified, the BUYER/END USE CUMSTOMER is responsible for furnishing complete information as to materials, size location and number of alterations prior to preparation of shop drawings. (Section 7 AISC Code of Standard Practice, 9th Edition)

This is the full statement currently.

7.15. Cuts, Alterations and Holes for Other Trades Neither the fabricator nor the erector shall cut, drill or otherwise alter their work, nor the work of other trades, to accommodate other trades, unless such work is clearly specified in the contract documents. When such work is so specified, the owner’s designated representatives for design and construction shall furnish complete information as to materials, size, location and number of alterations in a timely manner so as not to delay the preparation of the approval documents.

milimilo is right on about this being dated. Shop drawings be damned.