Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 12-04-2017, 10:34 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to OleDog
Default Grease zerk cleaning tool

I have a couple of zerks on my skid steer arm pins that have stopped taking grease. I pulled the zerk and it will take grease so the blockage must be around the pin Has anyone used the cleaning tool that you fill with grease or oil, put it on the zerk and hit it with a hammer to force it into the joint? A buddy said he's used it with diesel, which I would think would be lighter and have more penetrating power than oil or grease but I don't know if the tool will work with the thinner fluid. Anyone have experience with this tool?

Thanks
OleDog
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grease cleaning tool.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	142412  

Do not compute the totality of your poultry population until all the manifestations of incubation have been entirely completed.

Nothing says "Poor Workmanship" like wrinkles in your duct tape!!
Old 12-04-2017, 10:50 AM
Master Procrastinator

Have you tried taking the 'load' off the pin that doesn't take the grease. That usually works for me.

I've seen the tools like you show, but never used one. I would think it should work with diesel too.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:05 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleDog View Post
I have a couple of zerks on my skid steer arm pins that have stopped taking grease. I pulled the zerk and it will take grease so the blockage must be around the pin Has anyone used the cleaning tool that you fill with grease or oil, put it on the zerk and hit it with a hammer to force it into the joint? A buddy said he's used it with diesel, which I would think would be lighter and have more penetrating power than oil or grease but I don't know if the tool will work with the thinner fluid. Anyone have experience with this tool?

Thanks
OleDog
FIL has one. We used it last year on a tillage tool. What we found works good most of the time is the 10,000 psi from the 18v Milwaukee grease gun.

We use Diesel fuel on that tool. I believe he bought his at the local John Deere store. I have only used it a couple times but seems ok.

I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.--Red Green

Home is where the G91G28X0Y0 is.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:27 PM

Not sure if out was the cleaning tool, the diesel, the new end on my grease guns, the new zerk, or all of the above, but I got the pin to take grease. It sure is a lot quieter now.

That tool might be a single use/job deal since the plunger wasn't running up and down very smoothly when I put it away. The o-ring (if it has one) might be messed up.

OleDog

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Do not compute the totality of your poultry population until all the manifestations of incubation have been entirely completed.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:14 PM
Da Chief

I keep one in the road bag, along with an impact (hammer powered) driver with screw bits and a 3/8 drive adapter, for impact sockets. Both have come thru for me , in a pinch. Mobil high temp (the red stuff) grease works good. (always have a small lever gun full in a zip lock baggie)

RED the sheepdog

PS they are both Horrible fright quality. The HF deep well impact sockets go for the ride, 'cause they'er cheap.When they rust, and they will, I media blast them then re parkerize 'em, along with the bottom end wrench sets and drivers, bought just for the road bags. If/when I lose some, I figure I didn't really lose much

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 12-04-2017, 06:18 PM
Auction Addict

Should be easy to make one. Take a piece of 1/2" round bar 4" long and drill ad tap for screwoing in a coupler off a gease gun and screw ir in. Take 5" piece of 3/8" round bar and cut a grove for a O ring. Squirt in some gease and stick the 3/8" rod in and whack with a hammer.

“In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.” Charles de Gaulle
Old 12-04-2017, 08:14 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH35 View Post
FIL has one. We used it last year on a tillage tool. What we found works good most of the time is the 10,000 psi from the 18v Milwaukee grease gun.

We use Diesel fuel on that tool. I believe he bought his at the local John Deere store. I have only used it a couple times but seems ok.
I have found that the grease nipple itself is very restrictive from new. In cases where you could not get it to take grease, unscrew the nipple and screw the gun hose on direct to the pin, you will be surprised at the result.

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green
Old 12-04-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
I have found that the grease nipple itself is very restrictive from new. In cases where you could not get it to take grease, unscrew the nipple and screw the gun hose on direct to the pin, you will be surprised at the result.
That wouldn't have occurred to me. I'll try to remember that.

OleDog

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Old 12-04-2017, 09:19 PM
Big Iron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
My next step from there is a porta power coupler reduced to 1/8 npt. Hyd jack oil under high pressure gets through most anything.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:41 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleDog View Post
...I pulled the zerk and it will take grease...
May seem like a dumb question but if you took the zerk out to check it why didn't you just replace it?

The only time I've used one of those cleaning tools was on a machine where we had a zerk that was dead and damned near impossible to reach with regular tools. We made up an extension for the cleaning tool and it did the job. In that case it saved us a lot of grief but if the fitting is accessible enough that you can take it out easily I can't see why you wouldn't replace it...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?