Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 12-10-2017, 09:00 PM

I've heard that if you buy an entire fixture, the tubes are sometimes not replaceable but they're kind of "built in" to the fixture. I've also seen that because of that... they usually have more lumens than the replaceable tubes.

I suppose you can get larger electrical components in the fixtures maybe allowing for more lumens...?
Old 12-10-2017, 09:39 PM
Gold Star Dad

Apparently COSTCO has a real deal on some LED shop lights for the next week or so. I'll have to check them out. Maybe 4K spectrum?

EDIT: The 4 ft shop light is a Feit. 42 watt/3700 lumen, 4000K. Has a plug and pull switch. $20 through 12/24.

Same as this but not a 2-pack: https://www.costco.com/Feit-Electric...100284402.html

Last edited by USMCPOP; 12-12-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:43 PM
Something's Fishy ...

I have installed some of the LED fixtures that just have a strip of LEDS and a current limiter in them. They only weigh a few ounces so they can be surface mounted on a well installed T-bar ceiling. They light up instantly in any low temperature we will ever see. At about 60 Deg C (140F) we need to start reducing the current to prevent the junction failing.
I was back there today to check on a radon gas extraction system I installed a couple of weeks ago and the lights were working fine.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:13 AM
Post Fiend

Forgot to mention--picked this up a couple weeks ago at HF for $4. All self-contained, velcro backing. Haven't found a use for it yet but it does have novelty value...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lightswitch.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	142515  

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 12-11-2017, 07:28 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
Forgot to mention--picked this up a couple weeks ago at HF for $4. All self-contained, velcro backing. Haven't found a use for it yet but it does have novelty value...
We picked up a few from Rural King. Very nice when the power is out!

I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.--Red Green

Home is where the G91G28X0Y0 is.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:13 AM
Director of Languages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
I've heard that if you buy an entire fixture, the tubes are sometimes not replaceable but they're kind of "built in" to the fixture. I've also seen that because of that... they usually have more lumens than the replaceable tubes.

I suppose you can get larger electrical components in the fixtures maybe allowing for more lumens...?
the way it was explained to me is that a flourescent fitting is designed for a flourescent tube and it's just not the best way to get the most from an LED. The non replaceable fittings are supposed to have much better output as they are designed for the job, probably have different layouts and components.

The guy I spoke to selling them said he wouldnt change fittings for them unless there was a problem with the existing fittings, but equally wouldnt install new tube fittings with LEDs in them. By the time the non replaceable fittings die the tech will have moved on and you'll probably want to replace the fitting anyway.

In the states are light fittings ever plugged in? It's become quite common on commercial builds over here, our office has a 2 foot square 4 tube flourescents and each one has it's own little socket in the roof. The company upgraded to a lower energy flourescent fitting a few years ago, just before LEDs really took off and there was very little labour involved in swapping out the fittings. I think if I was building a shop today with the new type LED fittings with ceiling mounted sockets to give flexibility to replace the fittings down the line

This style fitting
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Lume...IAAOSw6dlZ1dWe

I have removed my ballasts and installed these https://www.ledison-led-lights.co.uk...0cm-30w/39.htm and while the light is bright I found it very shadowy. I've added an extra double tube fitting I had spare which has made a big difference.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:25 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy View Post
In the states are light fittings ever plugged in?
It is technically an Electrical Code issue. A 4' twin fluorescent fixture sold as a "shop light" will come with chains to hang them and about a 4' length of cord to plug into an outlet, usually in the ceiling. But I've bought some that only had about a 6" cord and plug. Many are not designed to be flush mounted for "ballast" cooling purposes, I'm guessing as the ballast is mounted to the housing. And the mfg warns about mounting flush. Maybe this is so there is less of a fire hazard should the ballast erupt in flames?

Fixtures that ARE designed for flush mounting will be designed to be attached to a recessed "box" which would be at the end of a switched circuit. This is called "hard" wired. For obvious reasons, you wouldn't/shouldn't hard wire a fixture hanging by chains or cables... By hard wiring I mean the wires coming from the light fixture are wire-nutted and taped to the switched circuit. They are not meant to be easily removed.

MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart 250ci plasma

Last edited by mccutter; 12-12-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:29 PM

I'm trying to figure out Lumens, and I want to compare apples to apples.

1. If I have an 8' long, 2 bulb fixture that puts out 8000 Lumens total... if I were to remove one of the bulbs, would it now be a 4000 Lumen fixture?

I know some manufacturers may measure Lumens differently so lets assume the way it's measured is the same.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:43 PM
Something's Fishy ...

Lumens are a measure of light intensity so vthe simple answer is yes.
However your eyes do not see all wavelengths the same .
When you go to the store and select new light sources you can be misled by the numbers VS how your eyes respond to the light spectrum of the source.
The best way to know is to what you want or need is to go to a store that has all bulbs available for you to try.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:52 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lingle View Post
When you go to the store and select new light sources you can be misled by the numbers VS how your eyes respond to the light spectrum of the source.
The best way to know is to what you want or need is to go to a store that has all bulbs available for you to try.
When I was in Lowe's buying the little LED lights I asked the clerk why all the lights were off. "People were complaining it was too bright". He was helpful in finding me an outlet to test them with despite the darkness...

MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart 250ci plasma

Tags
led, shop light