Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 12-25-2017, 06:05 PM

Default Reclaimed Materials a shop build on a no money budget for one plan

Ok so I have started the additions to my building being I'm a really cheap bastard not to mention i wanted to build my whole building out of reclaimed materials and drop material almost every inch of steel in it in side and out is either drop or reclaimed.... an freeish i guess bartering counts as paying something

it at present 18' by 20' may be a tad wider but just have to re-measure

i am for now adding another enclosed 20' to the back end and another 20' car cover or awning off the front. we started it yesterday

in this part of the building cause i don't want to spend money on concrete
and mobile home frames are readily available and easy to get usually for free just go cut em up and haul em off is the norm, so I'm going to use them to lay out on floor of the tool room which is another 18'x20' addition going to come off the side in the middle will lay them out about 18" apart weld supports between them and then use 3/4" plywood to cover that will be the floor in the tool room and where lift tables will go.

so i will have a 40' length by 18' wide area for most my shop equipment and a covered area that will be 18x20 and is where i want to install my lift.

I'm wondering how many yards of concrete will i need two or three full trucks ?? i know it will be hard to spread the cement in the 40 ft area as I'm poring the slab after the fact of building being built but got guys wo will do it for me with a broom finish.

so basically I'm building a shop on the I got no money budget plan and barter system.
using nothing but free and reclaimed materials
i might even be able to get a little free cement out of it as well with all the new construction going on here as one driver said if i have it ready they will dump the over order excess here for me but that could be a hornet nest i think so it may have to come out of pocket on the cement.

now the awning and other 20 ft enclosed part will get done by the next two to three weeks then got to go salvaging again for the remainder of drop and reclaimed material for the tool room addition that might take some time seems i have to many irons in the fire now days

I haven't got any pics yet but will when i have some progress done in a few days.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to
do nothing." -Edmund Burke-
Old 12-25-2017, 07:32 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Length x width x thickness (in inches) divided by 1728 will give you cubic feet. Divide that by 27 to get cubic yards. Depending on complexity of pour you want to order somewhere between 5-10% extra...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 12-25-2017, 07:57 PM
Auction Addict

I would reconsider the broom finish. A troweled finish is much smoother and easier to move things around. Also, having left over concrete dumped sometimes days apart will leave a cold joint in the concrete and be very susceptible to cracks. Are you doing rebar or fiber in the concrete?

“In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.” Charles de Gaulle
Old 12-25-2017, 09:29 PM
Elite Member

Neighbor who is a concrete guy had let the concrete drivers know that he wanted some concrete when they had extra and needed to unload. Usually it happens at the worst time, he and his crew was on other jobs, and by the time he got home to work it, it was way past its prime. It turned into a mess and I think he ended up tearing it out. Unless you can be at their beck and call when it comes in, might not get the finish you want. But other than that, I am down with the free and resourceful building.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 12-25-2017, 11:31 PM

well i found a pic i took not long ago week or so not sure but its recent
of the first part of my building this is all reclaimed material as well

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171127_093313_HDR.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	142719

Left to Rite in pic

To the rite will be the 18x20 enclosed addition
to the left will be the 18x20 car cover/awning

Then between the center half of building on back side of the building is where i plan the next part for the building the tool room I'm thinking 20 x 20 but i want to center it in the middle of the 40' enclosed part not on one end or the other my son does not like that idea but its what i want.

but i have to start looking for more materials random drop and reclaimed to build the tool room some times the material is easy to come by and sometimes not so easy to find just depends on who is tearing down a good metal structure and how far i have to travel to get it.

the only steel that is real easy to find is mobile home frames not the best steel for some things but it is usable and has its place where it can be used.

and nope still haven't gotten around to repairing that free cement mixer just yet but eventually I'll Get er Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I would reconsider the broom finish. A troweled finish is much smoother and easier to move things around. Also, having left over concrete dumped sometimes days apart will leave a cold joint in the concrete and be very susceptible to cracks. Are you doing rebar or fiber in the concrete?
yep i thought about that too and kind of why the cement may just have to come out of pocket so no issues and have it all done at one time instead of some here and there
plus i want to install a post lift later on and i need it to be a proper slab to install a post lift but i also been looking at those portable post lifts they are about the same cost and i can move them out of the way when i need the room but that's future planning going to give it a lot of thought first on which way ill go on the lift.

Last edited by MetalWolf; 12-25-2017 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:56 AM

Looking good. What is it you have on the roof? Antenna, lighting rod, . . .?

15 years ago I took a "no expressway" bike trip across Texas, New Mexico and Arizona. Coming from Louisiana through Texas on back roads I couldn't help but notice all the empty, old buildings with most being shells of derelict homes. Something we don't see around here because the snow destroys them. Do you have much luck with asking the property owners for the materials if you tear the buildings down and haul them away? If not I can see why you're recycling. Foolish not to.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverr1 View Post
Looking good. What is it you have on the roof? Antenna, lighting rod, . . .?

15 years ago I took a "no expressway" bike trip across Texas, New Mexico and Arizona. Coming from Louisiana through Texas on back roads I couldn't help but notice all the empty, old buildings with most being shells of derelict homes. Something we don't see around here because the snow destroys them. Do you have much luck with asking the property owners for the materials if you tear the buildings down and haul them away? If not I can see why you're recycling. Foolish not to.
The antenna is direct line of sight Internet provider

yeah some places you see that ..but i don't bother abandon structures cause then they have these automatic $$$ sign lights in their eyeballs and want way more than it worth....someone want a structure torn down they will call me to do it.... Rr a scraper will call and want me to help with cutting it up and the use of my trailer.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:49 PM

I understand. I just remember thinking it was odd seeing nothing but derelict homes and nothing else for miles. We joked about how apocalyptic it looked.

Wi-fi in the shop. That's convenient. It's gone up to 10 degrees here. Staying inside sounds good.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:58 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Mobile home frames.....slice them down the middle, and re-weld them
to make 5" (or 6") high beams, boxed.

Weld the cut web edge to the flange of the opposing.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
Mobile home frames.....slice them down the middle, and re-weld them
to make 5" (or 6") high beams, boxed.

Weld the cut web edge to the flange of the opposing.
they do come in handy and the price is usually rite Free rare instances does someone want money for the frame the just want it off their property

with reclaimed materials i can get my shop built the way i want it and for way under the cost of new material and so far it don't look too bad might be a bit of a chameleon on the roof..