Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 08-15-2017, 06:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to Rufus Send a message via Yahoo to Rufus
Default Klutch MIG/Stick 220Si 230V Multi-Process Welder with Spool Gun — 230V, 140 Amp

Hi all:
This stick welder/mig welder is made by "Klutch". Is Klutch any good? I would like to buy this in the future if it's any good.

Thanks
Tim

Klutch MIG/Stick 220Si 230V Multi-Process Welder with Spool Gun — 230V, 140 Amp

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...BoCWtYQAvD_BwE

Last edited by Rufus; 08-15-2017 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Forgot to add the link to the piece of equipment. Thanks.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:55 PM
Auction Addict

I see it only has a 30% duty cycle. That would not be good enough for me. I would not get anything less than a 60% duty cycle.

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 08-15-2017, 09:16 PM
Made From Scratch

Duty cycle is a valid point, but I paid $1350 for my powermig 210mp and it only has a 40 percent duty cycle. Sometimes you have to compromise a little bit. These welders are meant to be portable and shouldn't be expected to keep up with a shop unit that weighs 250 lbs.

I know absolutely nothing about klutch, so take this for what its worth. I like the specs on that machine, and think if they have a good reputation it would make a great machine for a DIY type person who just wants to weld at home.

If you plan to use it professionally, I would step up to the lincoln 210MP, or the miller multimatic 215. Both of these machines have dual voltage capability, which makes them much more flexible for portable work, and they both will have much better product support due to the number of dealers around.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:55 PM

I am not to sure as to whether or not I would use it professionally. I like the fact that it is both a mig welder and a stick welder. I suppose, if need be, I could stick weld with it up to maybe 5/16 inch plate with it. I like the price seeing it is both a mig/stick welder.

Thanks
Tim
Old 08-15-2017, 10:03 PM
The Real Deal

Don't you already have a stick welder?
Old 08-16-2017, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
Don't you already have a stick welder?
I have my Miller Thunderbolt, Lincoln AC 225/DC 125, Lincoln Power Arc 4000 and the Miller 225 NT Bobcat (needs new carburetor and battery) so, yeah. Already have a stick welder, but I was thinking you could never have to many.

Thanks
Tim
Old 08-16-2017, 09:24 PM
I can dig it

For the thin stuff your talking, if you have tanks brazing is always a possibility instead of mig. Brazed dozens of mower decks together over the years.

Time for a new signature line!!
Old 08-17-2017, 02:26 AM
Post Fiend

On paper it looks like it will work in a clutch (pun intended). Takes Tweco consumables. AND it comes with a SPOOLGUN! So your Al welding needs would be covered. Inverter-based is nice and light. The Lincoln 180 I have "reviewed" in another thread is 65 pounds WITHOUT a spool of wire in it!

That said, I would keep your eyes open for the MM185/210/212. I had a MM210 w/3035 spooler and they made me (saved me) a lot of money the nearly 10 years I owned them. But it is a "full-size" transformer-based machine and will take up space on your shop floor. I do not imagine you will get a super "deal" on one because they hold their value. My setup was purchased "on special" WITH the spoolgun for $1100 from my LWS. I think I sold the package for $1300 about 10 years later--yes, I used it frequently AND made money when I sold it.

About Lincoln, I had a PM255 that I set up with a Prince spoolgun. Welded good but the Prince was not well-supported at my LWS. Sold for a profit and soon found a used MM252/30A that I am still using today.

I picked up a 90's Lincoln "EuroMIG 250" or whatever it was called at auction for around $400, cleaned it up and promptly flipped it and doubled my money. This model had a digital display that was controlled by a switch at the MIG gun handle. It had the "euro" style MIG gun connector.

Used deals are out there but the Klutch seems like an especially good deal since it includes the spoolgun. Of course, you may have the same tip-roasting issues I'm having with the aforementioned 180 and I'm not talking about brazed beef tips...

PS: and speaking of mower decks, I have one to do here because the sandy soil just blasts them apart...

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 08-17-2017, 01:01 PM

I believe that I will go with the Hobart Handler 210 MVP. Rural King has them for $849.99 and Tractor Supply has them for $899.99. Both Tractor Supply and Rural King are close by, but there is more traffic on the way to Tractor supply and besides that Rural King is just a hop, skip and a jump from here. With all that said, Tractor Supply has the Hobart Handler 190 MIG Welder with Spool Gun Package for $819.99 so I will keep that in mind to if I don't go with the Hobart Handler 210 MVP.

Thanks
Tim
Old 08-17-2017, 03:05 PM
Grumpy Bastard

You can get a big jump in duty cycle if you look at the Ironman 230...

Just an option...

https://www.hobartwelders.com/products/wirefeed/

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley