Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 08-20-2017, 09:19 PM
set phasers to .50 caliber

Default Need new headgear for my Jackson EQC Executive autodarkening hood

I have one of those buddies that doesn't really pay attention to what he's doing. You know the type; he gets hurts a lot because he'd rather pull on something to see what happens instead of "wasting time" by stepping back and looking at it first. So I'm helping him out, and unfortunately, he's helping me help him. Which means I go to pick up my 16-yr old Lincoln EQC Executive welding hood to find out that he set a grinder on it while he was "helping" me find one.

So after 16 years of the way I take care of things and they last and last and last, I now have a broken headgear on my Lincoln hood that I still find myself grabbing even though I have two Miller BWE's that need a lot more battery maintenance after being only half as old. Sorry, Miller, but they are otherwise also fantastic hoods and more comfortable, until the padding broke off and I haven't gotten around to replacing that.

So does a brand new Lincoln welding hood with the big fixed-shade cheap lens accept the EQC Executive module? What are my options? The module still works fine after all these years, so all I really need is new headgear. I'm looking at this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Jackson-Safet..._cd_al_qh_dp_t
Old 08-20-2017, 09:33 PM

Alternatively, at half the price, it looks as if this new headgear will fit inside my Lincoln shell? Can anyone confirm?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RIFGE6...UTF8&psc=1#Ask

Is this replacement headgear better than what comes on the cheap no-frills hood, or do all Lincoln hoods have the same headgear?
Old 08-20-2017, 09:45 PM
The Real Deal

Sorry I know nothing
Old 08-20-2017, 11:52 PM
Curmudgeon

Well, I didn't have to have a friend to blame it on. I just screwed around & broke the headband on one of my "guest" helmets several months ago.
I don't remember if it's the old black $100 Jackson or the $10 Handyman Depot/Harbor Freight but if I put off repairing it long enough then both of my grandsons will show up needing something welded & there I'll be.

Mac, the original batteries in my BWE lasted about 7 or 8 years but I have not been able to find any of the same brand to replace them with & like you said, they haven't been very dependable. I even broke down & tried some sho' nuff superior ones I paid too much for at Battery Joe's. They were not any better.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Oh! Come to think of it, I am home.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:56 AM
Blood, Sweat & Concrete

Send a message via MSN to DDA52

Mac, if its a HSL style hood, it should fit. Far as I could see, they only list that 370 gear for the HSL shell. I still have several of the old ones left. That 370 gear looks vastly superior.

Grand High Poobah...(by appointment.)
Old 08-22-2017, 11:15 AM
Post Fiend

I'd go into your LWS and just pay the premium to get something you KNOW will fit because you will install it/compare it in the store. PS: you might get the Jax headgear to work if you are willing to modify the mounts/enlarge holes, etc. Don't mix up order of the washers/spacers--this will save you some time... (I know this from experience...)

I just had to replace a couple headgears and I think I paid in the $16-$20 range for each. I use Huntsman grinding shields with matching headgear and shields and headgear are "keep-in-stock" items. I also just replaced the headgear on my old Jackson 4x4 (like you linked to) with matching Jackson headgear (like you linked to). I had to pop-rivet it the last time I went to use it as someone (not me) had broken it! Whether or not it will fit your Lincoln, I couldn't tell you...

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...

Last edited by mccutter; 08-22-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
...PS: you might get the Jax headgear to work if you are willing to modify the mounts/enlarge holes, etc...
Sorry. Looks like I was typing way faster than I was thinking. I don't know why I kept referring to my hood as a Lincoln. It's a Jackson.

I guess subconsciously, if it's not Miller, it's Lincoln, and since it wasn't one of my Miller hoods... I even referred to the brand new Jackson hood in the link as a Lincoln, too. That's why it didn't confuse me!

So, with that correction, maybe I won't confuse anyone as to why I am asking about Jackson headgear for a Lincoln.

Sorry, guys. So perhaps the question is even easier now. Will the new Jackson headgear fit my old Jackson hood? I'm thinking yes, and with Amazon's liberal return policy, I'll let you know.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:59 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
Will the new Jackson headgear fit my old Jackson hood? I'm thinking yes, and with Amazon's liberal return policy, I'll let you know.
As mentioned, I just replaced the headgear on my "old" Jackson 4x4. I think it is about 25yo?

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 08-22-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
As mentioned, I just replaced the headgear on my "old" Jackson 4x4. I think it is about 25yo?
I neglected to reread your post after I read enough to see my mistake. Thanks for the confirmation. I will reuse my old shell and autodarkening module and put that new headgear in it.