Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 06-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Elite Member

Yes, this is for a crowd gate. The gate can be somewhat automated, but that's not a goal of mine, the air controls work fine, with user input. These fancy things I want to put on are part of a Aggie research project. We want to sprinkle the cows from above for a minute, and then turn the fans back on them, that way they will be cooled by evaporative losses from their own bodies. The fans need to be turned off, or the water won't exactly make it to the cows. Then when the water cycle is done, the fans come back on. I don't have a problem running this electronically, no need to put air controls on it.

You bet, dairy farms are becoming very hi tech. My uncle in Holland has 2 robots that milk all the cows for him. Now that is hi tech. We are somewhat less sophisticated, but I do have several things automated by PLC's. If I were to build (actually just wire) the whole place again, I think many things would be run off of one PLC, with many inputs and outputs to do tons of tasks. Also, our cows don't even have necklaces, just a little electronic ear tags, not much larger than a quarter. But we don't use the ID in the parlor, just for the remainder of the herd management. Just one more way technology changes the world.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:11 PM

Another option in lieu of photo electric eyes is proximity switches. They are fairly substantial and can be mounted in a number of ways as long as metal from the gate will be close enough to trip them. They would provide a veery simple control for relays.

We will keep our guns and our freedom. You can keep the "change".
Old 06-01-2007, 06:14 PM
Elite Member

Proximity switches need to be mounted all over the place, and it would take quite a bit to make it so that the cows can't reach them, and it's a bit tricker programing something that knows which ones are on, and off, if the gate stops at a prox. switch, goes backwards and then forwards, etc.

Let me dig up a pic of this gate and it's environment.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Elite Member

Here we go, found a pic, but I had to go to the toiletbowl.com to get it! At least I didn't have to log in there.

cutter, feel free to lighten this pic up if you think it's necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crowdgate.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	23845  
Old 06-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Below Wholesale

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwgrizz View Post
Another option in lieu of photo electric eyes is proximity switches. They are fairly substantial and can be mounted in a number of ways as long as metal from the gate will be close enough to trip them. They would provide a veery simple control for relays.
I was thinking of the same thing kinda. Have a sprocket that rides on the fixed chain. the sprocket has 1 pin drilled into one tooth. A prox sensor picks up the pulses from the pin and the plc translates that to distance.
the only problem I see with that is you would have to have 200 feet of wire dragging somewhere.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Elite Member

If you have an entrance to thee Auggie world, I would use it.
This is not too hard a problem for someonr it their "real time computing" class. These are the guys that are learning how to adjust refineries and such as things change second by second.
Your gate should be a good class project.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:02 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt View Post

cutter, feel free to lighten this pic up if you think it's necessary.
Welp, I don't know that it needs lightening, Bolt but my monitor just doesn't display as light as some.
I did it just in case someone else has the same affliction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bolt_gate.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	23851  

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Oh! Come to think of it, I am home.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:48 AM
Elite Member

I hope I haven't missed something when I scanned the posts, but it seems to me that a simple, mechanical switch could be placed at each of the 6 positions that would be switched on or off by a springy sweep arm, as the gate passed by.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:10 AM
Elite Member

Yup, I've thought about getting some Aggie to engineer it. But the thought of that just plain scares me! Haha.

Anyways, I think I will talk to them about that option, allthough having animal science proffesors on a project is not a foot in the door for an computing project though.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Chief Twidget & Keeper of the 'trons!

Send a message via ICQ to markttu
Thumbs up Simple solution

OK, this is a very simple PLC application. I spent a few minutes writing the code for the DL06 PLC I mentioned earlier and its actually so simple you can even use the free version of DirectSoft (programming software for the AutomationDirect PLCs). Download the programming software here: http://ftp.automationdirect.com/pub/ds5_release.exe

Note that I had to use the DL06 PLC because the DL05 didn't have enough outputs to do everything.

The first attachment is a PDF print out of the code so everyone can take a look without having to first install DirectSoft. Second attachment is the program itself with all the files ZIPed up.

Its some pretty simple code that has a simple resetting 10 minute timer; during the first minute it turns on the spray valves, then after the first minute it turns on the fan for the rest of the time (9 minutes).

It tracks the gate position and remembers the last known gate position through power failures. If the gate is at 120' and moves past the 60' switch then it turns off the back spray nozzle; if the gate is somewhere between the 50' switch and 60' switch and then passes the 60' switch it turns the back spray nozzle on again. It does this for switches at 60, 50, 40, 30, and 20 feet. The front spay nozzle is always on during the first minute of the 10 minute timer.

Here's what you'd need from AutomationDirect's website...
D0-06DR-D - DL06 PLC
PSP24-024S - 24v Power Supply for PLC
D2-DSCBL - Programming cable (you could build your own)
Programming Software - see link above for the free version
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dairy PLC Project v0p1.pdf (20.9 KB, 106 views)
File Type: zip Dairy PLC Project.zip (23.4 KB, 61 views)