Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 05-07-2017, 07:59 PM
Da Chief

For the last 10 years or so, I've been maintaining kind of a rotating pool of cheap mowers. I pick 'em up on the roadside, trash day, dead. Bring back to life, the ones I can, and sell 'em for $50.00 exchange warranty. Folks buy them, run a couple of seasons, or until they die, usually from neglect or bad gas, and trade 'em in for another $50.00 beater. Some have come back, and been reincarnated 5 or 6 times. ($50 is about $25.00 lower than what the local shops charge just to look at a dead one)

It's been a feast or famine kind of thing, when the big box stores sell a bunch of the $150.00 wonders, my sales drop, only to double a year or two later.

OH WELL, it keeps me busy thru the rainy season...

RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 05-07-2017, 08:08 PM
Master Procrastinator

I've got between 2 & 3 acres to mow at least once a week. There's usually lots of down small twigs and larger tree limbs that I don't have time to pick up, so I've opted for this machine ... https://www.hustlerturf.com/products/super-z-hyperdrive . If it fits under the deck, it gets mowed.

Oh yea, the fact that my son-in-law has worked there for about 20 years and comes up with some nice price perks does play into the equation.

It's the only mower I will ever own between now and looking at grass from the bottom.

35 horses & 60" cut will flat mow grass. The only limiting factor is rough ground and ripping up sod on too quick turns.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:11 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim KS View Post
I've got between 2 & 3 acres to mow at least once a week. There's usually lots of down small twigs and larger tree limbs that I don't have time to pick up, so I've opted for this machine ... https://www.hustlerturf.com/products/super-z-hyperdrive . If it fits under the deck, it gets mowed.

Oh yea, the fact that my son-in-law has worked there for about 20 years and comes up with some nice price perks does play into the equation.

It's the only mower I will ever own between now and looking at grass from the bottom.

35 horses & 60" cut will flat mow grass. The only limiting factor is rough ground and ripping up sod on too quick turns.
That is a hell of a mower Tim.

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 05-08-2017, 07:52 AM

Nice mower Tim, but I have less than 1/2 acre, and would be done before I start with that.

I just use the push mower for places that aren't easy to get with my Huskvarna rider, which I don't really need, but it's paid for and I'm getting lazy as I get older.

Jim
Old 05-08-2017, 08:42 AM
Master Procrastinator

I hate mowing grass! That's why I bought a machine that I can spend as little time on as possible.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:42 AM
I can dig it

I broke down and bought a little 42" zero turn John Deere last year for the farm. As overkill as it will be, it's going west with us. One place we've looked at online out there I figure it'll be about 5-10 minutes to cut the lawn.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:59 AM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
10 years?

Around here it doesn't matter how you take care of it a modern mower doesn't last that long without repairs (though I know of 30y/o "cheap" at the time mowers that look better than my 5y/o craftsman).
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED caddy View Post
For the last 10 years or so, I've been maintaining kind of a rotating pool of cheap mowers. I pick 'em up on the roadside, trash day, dead. Bring back to life, the ones I can, and sell 'em for $50.00 exchange warranty.

RED
I wonder if there are still any of the old Snapper mowers with the "magnesium" decks hiding somewhere out there.
I have one that's about 30 years old lurking in my garage. I know that I've had it for 25 years and it was used and retired when I found it in Dr. Lunceford's pool storage building. It had a 4hp Briggs when it was born & I replaced that 2 or 3 years later, after it spit a chunk through the case. I found a new sleeved 5hp "industrial" engine for it.

I rebuilt the drive wheel to the rear axle in '99 and parked it shortly afterwards.

The thing about these old mowers was that deck is tough. You wouldn't be able to slap it back together with a mig but it will not rust out. I really liked the drive system, better than any I ever used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0297.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	139278   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0293.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	139279  

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Oh! Come to think of it, I am home.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:44 AM
Director of Languages

Cutter I had a Harry and after that some italian version. very similar design but made from really crappy ali that got eaten by the grass and went brittle.

I remember at home years ago we had an ali flymo. No drive to the wheels but the ali deck was perfect and was probably 20 years old at the stage it got retired because we had a quarter acre of grass and walk behinds were affordable.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to Rufus Send a message via Yahoo to Rufus

It is for this exact reason that I need to buy a mig welder in the future so if I get any push mowers or lawn tractors in that need deck repair, then I can do them a lot easier than with a stick welder.

Thanks
Tim
Old 05-26-2017, 11:41 PM
Post Fiend

You all have reminded me I need to patch the deck on Mr. Murray... The sandy soil here just eats the heck out of decks. Blades, too! It is not uncommon to have to replace the pair mid-season... Knock wood at least the battery is going on year 3...

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...