Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 05-31-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED caddy View Post
For the last 10 years or so, I've been maintaining kind of a rotating pool of cheap mowers. I pick 'em up on the roadside, trash day, dead. Bring back to life, the ones I can, and sell 'em for $50.00 exchange warranty. Folks buy them, run a couple of seasons, or until they die, usually from neglect or bad gas, and trade 'em in for another $50.00 beater. Some have come back, and been reincarnated 5 or 6 times. ($50 is about $25.00 lower than what the local shops charge just to look at a dead one)

It's been a feast or famine kind of thing, when the big box stores sell a bunch of the $150.00 wonders, my sales drop, only to double a year or two later.

OH WELL, it keeps me busy thru the rainy season...

RED
What do you mean by "$50 exchange warranty?" Like $50 with the exchange of one that you can fix? If so what do you charge without an exchange?

I would jump on that around here. There's 1 small engine shop in town and a hardware store that stocks parts and both sell used mowers that they've fixed up and typically want crazy $$$ for them, like the few times I've looked with the assorted regular sales I could get them for less new. I don't get how they sell them at all.

I would do the same but they seem to disappear pretty quickly around here, I'm pretty sure it's a guy that lives a street over that sells them for $150 in his front yard. Honestly, if I could get my hands on one out of the trash every 2-3 years I would just fix them and never buy a new one.

I know that when my John Deere push mower engine crapped out I took it over to the small engine shop and they wanted $340 to fix it, my jaw dropped, I bought the thing for like $2something. I ended up Frankenstein-ing a bunch of parts I had laying around, dropping a Briggs head on the mill, decking it, porting it... that thing was awesome. After the deck on that one crapped out my brother needed an engine for his small riding mower and it was faster with that thing on it then it was with the 11hp that was originally on it. I think he's still running that engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
I wonder if there are still any of the old Snapper mowers with the "magnesium" decks hiding somewhere out there.
I have one that's about 30 years old lurking in my garage. I know that I've had it for 25 years and it was used and retired when I found it in Dr. Lunceford's pool storage building. It had a 4hp Briggs when it was born & I replaced that 2 or 3 years later, after it spit a chunk through the case. I found a new sleeved 5hp "industrial" engine for it.

I rebuilt the drive wheel to the rear axle in '99 and parked it shortly afterwards.

The thing about these old mowers was that deck is tough. You wouldn't be able to slap it back together with a mig but it will not rust out. I really liked the drive system, better than any I ever used.
I always liked the idea of those decks but never looked for one seriously because I didn't know they came self-propelled (I've never owned a non-self-propelled mower and my hilly yard would suck without one). HUH...
1960 Bridgeport J-head | Grizzly 10x22 | HF bandsaw | Rigid 4.5” angle grinder (+2 cheapie HF ones)
BFH
Old 06-01-2017, 08:38 AM
Da Chief

Mark, I started out with the $50 exchange deal with non self propelled mowers. Pay me, run the crap out of it, and bring it back and trade for another running, cutting mower for $50. I always preached the gospel of "good fuel, run dry every time, use a good additive, use a sharp blade, don't leave it parked on the grass"

Self propelled were always more, depending on type and brand of drive. I once picked up a pair of MTD riders, cheap, and turned them to a lawn guy, who used a weekly maintenance plan. (me) for a flat fee per month . Grew his little business to mid size, bought new diesel stuff, kept me on the pay line 'till he lost it all to a DUI accident.

I didn't start out to set the world on fire, or kill all the mower shops in town (3), I just saw a way to make a little money with spare time. I don't ever make much over a couple hundred bucks a month, most, not even that, and my health is slowing that down. but it is tax free, folding money for the "walkin' around" fund. (pays for a couple of walks to the road house on hot afternoons, for a cold adult beverage.)

As an interesting aside, I think my first post on SFT, was about mowers. Picked my first fight with Franz, and it was "off to the races" Been here ever since. (has it really been THAT long?)

RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 06-02-2017, 06:12 AM

Quote:
As an interesting aside, I think my first post on SFT, was about mowers. Picked my first fight with Franz, and it was "off to the races" Been here ever since. (has it really been THAT long?)

RED
I think I remember Franz, I think for me early on I had a discussion with you that turned into something about race cars, I think it might have been Caddie engine swaps.
1960 Bridgeport J-head | Grizzly 10x22 | HF bandsaw | Rigid 4.5” angle grinder (+2 cheapie HF ones)
BFH
Old 06-02-2017, 08:26 AM
Da Chief

Yea Mark, that's pretty likely. Around that time I was all wrapped up in racing the big dinosaur caddy's. At the end, I pushed out a set of copper head gaskets, in a pretty spectacular fashion, with 2 T-04 turbo's and Holley Projection.

The goal was to make it into the 8's, the last pass on that motor was 8.96 @168, (I had been running pretty quick in the 9.90 index class, without breaking a bunch of parts) The pop show in the speed trap was not caught on tape, (local track, test N' tune) but I'm told it was world class. Sitting in the front seat, I missed it all.

In my own defense, there were several other caddy kids playing with turbo's around that time, and getting pretty impressive results. I think the weak spot was 5 head bolts per cylinder on the Caddy. Two T-04's can make more boost than the caddy can withstand when it goes lean at the top end. (or, I don't know nearly enough about proper application of turbo's...)

Anywhoo, that was a fun trip down memory lane...

RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 06-03-2017, 08:22 AM
Elite Member

Quote:

RED
I remember Franz. It didn't take much to pick a fight with him. I think he woke up in a bad mood and it only went downhill from there.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:37 AM
Blast this!

I ran 1978 grasshoppers with 38 deck until last week and bought a 48 hustler raptor sd . both Zero turn. I can't believe how the more ground speed and 10 inch more deck cut the time .what was 11 hours with tractor type ,5 hours with grasshopper is now about 3.5 hours on raptor .Just urks me to spend almost as much on a mower as 1st home Pat and I bought.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:14 AM
SFT Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmosandblasting View Post
I ran 1978 grasshoppers with 38 deck until last week and bought a 48 hustler raptor sd . both Zero turn. I can't believe how the more ground speed and 10 inch more deck cut the time .what was 11 hours with tractor type ,5 hours with grasshopper is now about 3.5 hours on raptor .Just urks me to spend almost as much on a mower as 1st home Pat and I bought.
Don't price pickups!

Old 06-03-2017, 11:41 AM
Blast this!

Been looking guess that is why I am still running a 300,000 mile Dakota.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDodge View Post

Don't price pickups!

That's a big 10-4! I refuse to have a truck payment bigger than my house payment. ( I guess I'll just have to wait till the house is paid off) lol.