Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 10-13-2017, 10:12 AM
Da Chief

I'm about 45 miles from the scene of the crime. A little over 36 hours ago, I offered my shop as a rescue point, if AAA would kindly drag it to me.

At the moment, all my tow rigs are running, so taking it back wouldn't present much of a problem.

I haven't heard any more , so the problem may have been solved by now. With the stated tool and spare parts load, many things might have happened, all of them good.

Still, an update would be nice, at least a postcard from the edge...

RED, Waiting.

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?

Last edited by RED caddy; 10-13-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:54 PM
Elite Member

Default weight

How much does a load of surf boards weigh?
I would just remove the smoker and bring it home.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:37 PM
Elite Member

Got to the party a bit late. More likely than not, if the original bearings and drum are shot, he might get by with an idler hub off of a mobile home. pretty much all of the 5200-7000 axles use the same bearings. Just a thought. Please pass the popcorn. Thanks!!
Old 10-14-2017, 02:45 PM
Post Fiend

Default UPDATE: sorry for the delay!

As of this writing, the trailer is sitting comfortably at its home base. My car is still sitting comfortably inside it. See separate post on the Dodge...

After a 1hr drive for me to meet him I parked in his driveway and we climbed into the tow vehicle, a 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins/6-speed 4WD Megacab (4-door) or whatever they call it. After that it was another 2 hours to the trailer with non-functional A/C so the windows were open. Fortunately it was a pleasant day and not too hot but you forget how loud the highway can be when you drive exclusively under climate control with windows closed. Conversation was good but I was also rather hoarse by the end of the day having to yellspeak over traffic.

At the trailer it was quickly apparent which wheel had the bad bearings as it was obviously askew. Drum/hub came right off after removing the spindle nut exposing the bad outer bearing. The trailer has 6-lug wheels, BTW... Initially that side was in the shade.

The outer bearing got so hot the inner race welded itself to the spindle and overheated the outer race and race bore of the hub/drum to the point where the outer race just dropped into the hub. So off he went to find a new hub/drum and bearings and I got to work removing the inner race from the spindle.

With no "issues" other than zinging the spindle a couple times with the 4.5" cutting wheel, the race came right off with a small amount of chiseling after cutting a number of slots with the grinder. There was a small amount of meltage on the spindle from the race spinning on it. I cleaned it up as best as I could with the flap disk then the multi-file.

I went into WM and bought him a grease gun and 2 tubes of Lucas red and myself a chef salad. As I waited for him to return with the parts, I removed the spindle caps from the rest of the wheels and shot 10 pumps into each. I also "flushed out" old grease from the affected spindle. I tried lubing the drop gate for him which of course ended up snapping of the plugged rusty zerks which then had to be pried out of the grease nozzle...

A new hub/drum (Chinese--OE was US) with bearing kit and a set of new spindle caps was just over $100. Races were pre-installed in the hub so I didn't need my race drivers. Inner bearing got packed with grease and installed easy enough. Wisely, I chose to see if the outer bearing went on the spindle before packing it which it did not. After a lot of filing and grinding and trying later, enough of the meltiness had been removed that the bearing slid onto the spindle easily. Keep in mind this side is in the sun now and the trailer acted like a sail and blocked the nice breeze on the windward side of the trailer.

Greased bearing and installed hub/drum and gave the zerk a dozen squirts, installed spindle cover and wheel and we were good to go. Before we did, the rest of the wheels were jacked up and checked for noise and looseness. One bearing set was a little rough but that would be a project from another day as well as cleaning/adjusting the electric brakes which apparently do not work very well.

Only other issue was the bitch that parked in front of the trailer even after I asked her to move before she got out of the car. "Oh I always park here" keeping in mind we are about as far away from the WM as you can get and there were PLENTY of other spots to park in. The truck was able to get in, it just complicated things a little...

No other issues with the trailer for the ride home although the Dodge had its own issues, especially once loaded with a car in it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	res1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	141511   Click image for larger version

Name:	res2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	141512  

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 10-14-2017, 02:59 PM
Gold Star Dad

I like stories that end "...And a good time was had by all."
Old 10-14-2017, 03:09 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCPOP View Post
I like stories that end "...And a good time was had by all."
So do I --but technically, this story will not end until I have the car in my possession...

MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart 250ci plasma
Old 10-14-2017, 10:52 PM
Elite Member

When people are asses like that lady, I always go over and fold the passenger mirror in. Don't mess with the mirror itself, fold the breakaway. That way they HAVE to get out of the car to fix it.

Its simpler than installing a BB under the valve stem cap...
Old 10-15-2017, 01:53 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
When people are asses like that lady, I always go over and fold the passenger mirror in. Don't mess with the mirror itself, fold the breakaway. That way they HAVE to get out of the car to fix it.

Its simpler than installing a BB under the valve stem cap...
I didn't have a BB but in hindsight, maybe I should have greased her door handle for her while I had the grease gun out...

MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart 250ci plasma
Old 10-15-2017, 08:59 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
I didn't have a BB but in hindsight, maybe I should have greased her door handle for her while I had the grease gun out...
I like the way you think!!! I personally hate the wind sound the new trucks make at highway speeds with the windows down. Mine for a length of time would give me a headache of all headaches. Don't think they design them for this type of driving anymore. So did the truck have the same lack of maintenance issues the trailer did?

Glad you got home and everything went well.