Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 07-16-2017, 02:57 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdigger View Post
Gerry Not quite a manual, more of an info sheet for the controller. http://www.alliedelec.com/m/d/f5212c...f1fa86cfda.pdf
Thanks, that tells the spec needed as well.

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green
Old 07-20-2017, 09:43 PM
Roving Reporter

Quote:
Gerry, I may have a line on a new sensor for the travel limit system. I may, possibly, perhaps also have a line on a manual for the controller unit too. Not sure on the manual, another friend is looking through his library.....
Sadly, I was overly optimistic. Turns out my connections can't come up with a direct replacement for the 2 wire sensor you need. They can supply a 3 wire proximity switch that will need some creative hookup to work. I willl send your sensor back with the 3 wire switches in the next day or so.

Cam
Old 07-20-2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Sadly, I was overly optimistic. Turns out my connections can't come up with a direct replacement for the 2 wire sensor you need. They can supply a 3 wire proximity switch that will need some creative hookup to work. I willl send your sensor back with the 3 wire switches in the next day or so.

Cam
Yes, my searches for the 2 wire came up short too. Thanks.

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green
Old 07-20-2017, 11:05 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

Gerry,

My interest is high on this sensor your speaking of so I have read this thread a time or two now trying to figure out what this sensor does. Would you mind sharing what your up to so I can understand or point me to the information that eludes me.

The turk link posted above looks very similar to a safety switch I use from allen bradley that uses an RFID sensor for it. Is this what you are using for sensors? Is this a table travel limit switch?

http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Sen...rlock-Switches

http://www.audin.fr/pdf/documentatio...ENSAGUARD).pdf

Here are a couple of links for the sensors. The links provide some information on the sensors. I am not able to remember what the actual relay is called I'll look when I get to the shop and post the info here. These sensor may work on your turk product as well.

Thanks

Scott

So I looked up NAMUR sensor found this on da bay. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=namur+sensor

Last edited by Scotts; 07-20-2017 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:28 AM

We are getting somewhere. Until Cam showed up at the shop, and we identified the amplifier, I had searched proximity sensors and got lots of n-p-n and p-n-p sensors with 3 to 8 pin connections.
The magic word is Turck, NAMUR helps, but there is still a pile of variants. I found a Turck NI5-G12-Y1X for $26US and free shipping from China. Banggood has proximity 3 wire switches for $3.25, and for the cost, I had one thrown in on the last order. By investigating it, I found that it seems to have 0 ohms resistance which does not vary with proximity to metal. If I use the voltage setting, some of the wires show a tiny voltage when near a metal object.

From the Turck info, it appears that the amplifier feeds a 8-10 volt current to the sensor and that a change occurs when metal is sensed. But I could be wrong.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotts View Post
Gerry,

My interest is high on this sensor your speaking of so I have read this thread a time or two now trying to figure out what this sensor does. Would you mind sharing what your up to so I can understand or point me to the information that eludes me.

So I looked up NAMUR sensor found this on da bay. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=namur+sensor
Scotts, these sensors on this mill are not factory issue from Servo, this was something added on by an end user.
These sensors are used to define the limits of travel for the X,Y,W axis movement and will shut off the Servo drives when triggered. They do work well.
There are Turck amplifier units that have 2 channel inputs for each axis. The W axis had a cable torn off one of the sensors when I bought it. As it had been used with stink coolant, there was brown scum on everything and the writing on the cable was not visible. We are working backwards from the amplifier now and it seems that the 2 wire stud type is a Turck thing, and they seem to have a high opinion of their product. Plenty of 3 wire sensors out there, which are cheap.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:06 AM
Stuff, Just stuff

Sounds like your machine was attacked by a safety Nazi. You could pull all that out and install the standard limit switches and be done will all the fancy stuff. All that fancy stuff is on there because of multiple users and corporate lawyering.

If you wanted to.

Onto the sensing of the sensor if I understand correctly. The amplifier sends out the 8 volts to the sensor. as metal approaches, it varies the 8 volts going back to the amplifier and when it reaches the switch over threshold it changes the state of the switch in the amplifier to open or close the circuit. It is one of those things that makes it very difficult to fool with a penny and some black tape. Those type amplifiers send the voltage out to make sure the sensor is still there so if it is torn off the control circuit reverts to the fail safe mode of operation. The Normally open and normally closed operation of the contact block inside the amplifier can only be changed by a computer connected to the amplifier.

Scott
Old 07-21-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotts View Post
Sounds like your machine was attacked by a safety Nazi. You could pull all that out and install the standard limit switches and be done will all the fancy stuff. All that fancy stuff is on there because of multiple users and corporate lawyering.

If you wanted to.

Scott
Maybe it was a Nazi attack, but this setup works better than the pushbutton limit switches that I have on the other mill. If it was a problematic system, or many sensors or amplifiers were kaput, I would switch it over, but 99% of it is fine.

Made some chips with the new one today. I have a guy coming tomorrow for the old mill and I had to strip the 3 phase motor off and put the original back onto it, and I needed a 3/16 key, so I made one.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:10 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

Sounds good,

Scott
Old 07-21-2017, 08:58 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
...Made some chips with the new one today. I have a guy coming tomorrow for the old mill and I had to strip the 3 phase motor off and put the original back onto it, and I needed a 3/16 key, so I made one.
So what do you think? Is it gonna be good enough for you?

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?