Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 01-13-2018, 12:37 PM
Made From Scratch

Default Mustad Forging Hammer

This is the hammer I mentioned in the thread about the small skinning knife I just made.

The style is also called a "turning" or "rounding" hammer. They are more popular amongst farriers than regular blacksmiths it seems, but many blacksmiths use something similar. If you watch any videos by Brian Brazeal you will see him talking a lot about using the round die, or flat die for certain operations, and he is referring to the round or flat faces of his hammer.

I bought the 2lb 5 oz version that tractor supply carries, I think they make it in a few different weights.

I had been using a couple different sizes of cross peen hammers, and have a 4 lb engineer's hammer that I use occasionally if I need to move a lot of metal or drive large punches etc.. These all have a flat face with a small chamfer around the edges. I was finding that the flat face doesn't always move the metal the way I want it to. If you hit slightly off square you leave a very sharp edged hammer mark as well.

The other issue is if you are trying to make the inside of a bend, like on a horseshoe, hitting with a flat faced hammer chews the inside of the bend up, giving it a segmented look. At that point you can get the metal a little hotter and work it over the horn to planish the inside, but then you end up with hammer marks on the outside edges. A smith with better skill can probably avoid all of these problems, but using a hammer with a convex face cures a lot of them as well.

I will probably end up trimming a couple inches off the handle of this hammer as its very long. I am enjoying its whiplike proportions though. I get much better rebound with this hammer than any of the others I use, and there is less vibration coming back through the handle. I never thought that stuff was that big of a deal, but I am finding I can swing this hammer a lot longer with less fatigue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S015-DSCF0710.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	143002   Click image for larger version

Name:	S016-DSCF0711.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	143003   Click image for larger version

Name:	S018-DSCF0713.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	143004   Click image for larger version

Name:	S019-DSCF0714.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	143005   Click image for larger version

Name:	S020-DSCF0715.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	143006  

Old 01-13-2018, 01:19 PM
I can dig it

Little different hammer than what is often seen.

For the handle, maybe wrap some tape where you hold it for the ‘heel’ of your hand, make sure that is the length you want before cutting it. Not sure if shortening the handle will affect the rebound though, maybe Jen can shed some light on that.

Seems Mustad is a big name in the farrier world, I’ve seen their name on a lot of farrier supplies, shoes, nails, hoof knives and such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2018, 03:14 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
Little different hammer than what is often seen.

For the handle, maybe wrap some tape where you hold it for the ‘heel’ of your hand, make sure that is the length you want before cutting it. Not sure if shortening the handle will affect the rebound though, maybe Jen can shed some light on that.

Seems Mustad is a big name in the farrier world, I’ve seen their name on a lot of farrier supplies, shoes, nails, hoof knives and such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Friction tape is good for that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3m-electrical-tape-3407na-ba-6-64_1000.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	143008  

“In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.” Charles de Gaulle
Old 01-13-2018, 04:03 PM
Lord of the Minions

Nice profile on the hammer Matt.

I happened upon several rather large ball peen hammers that were twice the size of what you would normally see in large peening hammers. That said, the faces on them are rounded and not typical flat in surface. They see lots of use for peening blades etc for a final touch sort of working.

Overall, I've made most of my hammers from billet steels and have a nice array of needs to fill with them.

Nice group of beaters in the pic.

For handles on my hammers, I tend to make an overly large hand end to allow my shaving it to my best hand fit. Most times after it's sized I'll make 'drill starts of say 1/4" in dia but only looking like countersinks and then smoothing to remove all sharp edges of same.

Those pockets allow for a better grip for the hand and less likely for slippage no matter what the situation. I absolutely hate to wrap anything with tape. But that's just me.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. A dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 01-13-2018, 11:50 PM
Made From Scratch

No tape for me either. I waved this one in front of the forge a little bit and took a little of the varnish off of it before I used it the first time.

I have used it with my grip choked up on the handle a little bit and didn't notice any less rebound. I have a feeling the better rebound is more attributable to the quality of the head, but the handle makes the balance and eats up the vibration. I am going to use it like it is for now, and after awhile if I see that I never grip it clear at the end I will start shaving small pieces off until it feels right.

The other hammers all got a good polish on the face to make the metal move better, and on the cross peens I sharpened one peen and rounded the other so that each hammer serves a different purpose. I think it is inevitable for a smith to have a pile of hammers to choose from, but for the time being it looks like the turning hammer is going to be my most used hammer.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:08 AM
Gold Star Dad

Some people get the Vaughan 175-10 L36 Lineman's Hammer and just round off one side a bit more. Zoro has them cheap - $26. https://www.zoro.com/vaughan-linesma...36/i/G0974111/

This place has a wide selection: https://www.stockhoffsonline.com/acatalog/Rounding.html
Old 01-15-2018, 12:45 PM
Made From Scratch

The vaughn looks like a good deal with a little dressing of one face. I hadn't seen that one before.

I shopped prices on ken davis and sons (farrier supply not too far from here) and one of the big online shops and then stumbled across the Mustad at TSC.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:35 PM
Gold Star Dad

Diamond and Nordic Forge have some reasonably priced rounding hammers.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:56 PM
Director of Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCPOP View Post
Diamond and Nordic Forge have some reasonably priced rounding hammers.
I use a 2 lb. Diamond brand rounding hammer. Great tool, reasonable price.

Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof

Millermatic 211
Harris oxy/act.
2 propane forges
147 lb. Peter Wright anvil
Old 01-16-2018, 04:22 PM
Gold Star Dad

I ordered a couple Vaughan hammers from Zoro. A 2-pound blacksmith/engineer cross-pein
hammer to match my 40 Oz Craftsman-branded one I've had for years. Also got one of the 36 oz. lineman's hammers.

Right at the moment, they have a 20% off sale. https://www.zoro.com/new-year-savings/ Hammers are one of the qualifying categories. So the linesman's hammer would be $21 and the cross pein/blacksmith's hammers would be $17 to $19 depending on weight (2 lb/40 oz/3lb). The free shipping over $50 applied even though the discount took the total below $50. Fair deal.

Last edited by USMCPOP; 01-16-2018 at 04:30 PM.