Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 07-14-2005, 02:02 PM

Default mix bottle positioning

I was thinking of building a more compact welding cart to fit under my workbench. My plans are simple and will work well but I plan on laying the bottle on it's side. Is this a good idea? If not, then is it possible to angle the bottle and what is the max angle?
I don't want to go to a smaller tank.
I know acetylene has to be used upright but does this apply to mig mix as well?
It's a 75/25 mix
Old 07-14-2005, 02:34 PM
Banned

MIG gasses don't care Diddle Q Squatt what position they are stored or used in, UNLESS you are using straight Co2.
Considerations for Co2 involve the type of cylinder used, (gas or liquid delivery), but even Co2 cn be relatively horizontle.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:34 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to Team DeSade

Should be safe with any gas that is stored as a gas and not a liquid.

Acetylene, being stored as a liquid, would be a no, as you pointed out. Of course there's a bit more to it than that for acetylene, but this simplifies it.

CO2 is a no too as it is again stored as a liquid. Tip the tank and you get liquid through the regs and they become quite unhappy.

80/20 or 75/25, I believe are stored strictly as a gas. Verify this with your welding supplier, but if so, they should be fine sideways (or upside down, or any variation thereof). Same goes for Nitrogen, Argon, Helium, Oxygen etc. I've used most of those in a sideways position with no problem.

One thing to watch out for is to make sure you provide adequate protection for the cylinder neck. If they're sticking out to the side, they're just begging to be knocked and we all know that's not a good thing.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team DeSade
Acetylene, being stored as a liquid, would be a no, as you pointed out. Of course there's a bit more to it than that for acetylene, but this simplifies it.
Ive heard so many things about acet that I dont know which way is up. Can anyone lay down the straight dope on acet handling? Donno if it was the right thing to do but I just had to get new cylinders of CO2, 02, and Acet. Shop I buy from is 30 min from my office, home is an hour. Between the store and work the bottle was on its side. When I got back to work from my lunch break, I stood the acet up. Will lay it back down on the hour commute home. What should I do before using it when I get home? Anything?
Old 07-14-2005, 02:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero
Ive heard so many things about acet that I dont know which way is up. Can anyone lay down the straight dope on acet handling? Donno if it was the right thing to do but I just had to get new cylinders of CO2, 02, and Acet. Shop I buy from is 30 min from my office, home is an hour. Between the store and work the bottle was on its side. When I got back to work from my lunch break, I stood the acet up. Will lay it back down on the hour commute home. What should I do before using it when I get home? Anything?
I covered that subject last December. Evidently you weren't doing the required classwork. You are now assigned to the remedial group.
http://shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1612
Come to think about it, take Mr DeSade with you, he is misinformed about acetelene.

This is NOT Public School, and I am NOT an NEA member.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:53 PM

Thanks for the replies but there seems to be mixed thoughts
http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/...815#post147815
Old 07-14-2005, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz
I covered that subject last December. Evidently you weren't doing the required classwork. You are now assigned to the remedial group.
http://shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1612
Come to think about it, take Mr DeSade with you, he is misinformed about acetelene.

This is NOT Public School, and I am NOT an NEA member.
Stick me in re-remedial cause I couldnt get much about cylinder handling from that otherwise very informative reading. I'll go sit in the corner now.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider
Thanks for the replies but there seems to be mixed thoughts
http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/...815#post147815
Spider, may I most delicately inquire, do you lent any credence to this statement posted by the jerkoff identifying himself as Pumpkinhead?

"C25 contains Argon, at the bottom of the cyl. is Argoff, if you tilt it more than 22.5 degrees you will draw the Argoff into the weld zone, this has been known to remove your preceeding weld, leaving you with a gap where a gap existed before you started to weld."

If that silly sumbich made a statement like that on SFT, I'd kick his sorry azz back to China, and let ArcDawg chew on what was left. HoFart should put a STRONG WARNING on their site clearly stating RETARDED FOOLS can and do post there.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:22 PM

As for the orginal question: My understanding of a gas mix that it is exactly that, a mix. The individual gasses, once combined, wont seperate on their own based on orientation. Therefore as long as the mix is not a biphase (like straight CO2), one could run the mixgas cylinder inverted for all the gas could care.

Think scuba diver using a tri-mix of O2, Helium, and N2. (thats air with added O2 and Helium). In the course of a dive, that diver will be horizontal 90% of the time. He could be inverted some of that time as well.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:24 PM
Urban Gunfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz
Argoff...

now that's funny.... Argoff... where's is shade's windex. I need to clean my monitor now...

ROFL-ROFL-ROFL....

"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home."