Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 01-14-2017, 12:12 PM
Auction Addict

Default One for SD

2004 Cummins with 212K. Oil pressure is 45psi at highway speed and 25psi at idle. Seems like the idle speed is less than it used to be. Normal?

“In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.” Charles de Gaulle
Old 01-14-2017, 12:37 PM
SFT Executive Chef

If you are monitoring engine speed with a quality scan tool it should be 700-850 rpm depending on if it's manual or auto and if the ac is on or not. If your trying to read it with the dash tach keep in mind there Cracker Jack prizes that cost more and are more resilient than an entire dodge dash and display.

Any Cummins engine after 1998 in a pickup the idle speed is regulated by the ecm.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:43 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDodge View Post
If you are monitoring engine speed with a quality scan tool it should be 700-850 rpm depending on if it's manual or auto and if the ac is on or not. If your trying to read it with the dash tach keep in mind there Cracker Jack prizes that cost more and are more resilient than an entire dodge dash and display.

Any Cummins engine after 1998 in a pickup the idle speed is regulated by the ecm.
The rpms are what the dash meter says. I do not have a scan tool.

“In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.” Charles de Gaulle
Old 01-14-2017, 03:00 PM
Something's Fishy ...

why the questions? Have the oil pressure values changed recently? a timexed oil filter usually causes a 5 psi drop before the bypass opens
how long since oil change ? have you checked for fuel dilution?
Old 01-14-2017, 04:24 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lingle View Post
why the questions? Have the oil pressure values changed recently? a timexed oil filter usually causes a 5 psi drop before the bypass opens
how long since oil change ? have you checked for fuel dilution?
I am due to change oil in 2K. It seemed to me to be lower at idle only. Just wanted to make sure it was not too low at idle.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:26 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I am due to change oil in 2K. It seemed to me to be lower at idle only. Just wanted to make sure it was not too low at idle.
SD is right, any of the gauges in modern vehicles are fairy stories. If you want to know the truth, put on a gauge.

A while back I had a voltage brownout on my truck, and when I started it up the oil pressure was zero. I contacted Neal and he told me that right on top of the oil filter there is a 1/4 pipe plug into the oil gallery. I screwed a gauge in there and had 80 lb at idle.
So I drove around for 3 days til the oil pressure gauge smartened up and told me a story.

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green
Old 01-14-2017, 09:54 PM
SFT Executive Chef

So is the idle speed low or the oil pressure low? The way your post is worded it could be either.

Same applies though, the dash gauges are idiot lights. There is no real data to gained other than there is no problem or Houston we have a problem......
Old 01-14-2017, 09:55 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
SD is right, any of the gauges in modern vehicles are fairy stories. If you want to know the truth, put on a gauge.

A while back I had a voltage brownout on my truck, and when I started it up the oil pressure was zero. I contacted Neal and he told me that right on top of the oil filter there is a 1/4 pipe plug into the oil gallery. I screwed a gauge in there and had 80 lb at idle.
So I drove around for 3 days til the oil pressure gauge smartened up and told me a story.
I'll look at mine and see if there is a place to hook up a gauge. I have a spare gauge, somewhere??? If my dash gauge is accurate is 25psi too low at idle?

Old 01-14-2017, 09:58 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDodge View Post
So is the idle speed low or the oil pressure low? The way your post is worded it could be either.

Same applies though, the dash gauges are idiot lights. There is no real data to gained other than there is no problem or Houston we have a problem......
According to my tach it is 800 rpm at idle, warmed up.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:46 PM
SFT Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I'll look at mine and see if there is a place to hook up a gauge. I have a spare gauge, somewhere??? If my dash gauge is accurate is 25psi too low at idle?
I'll have to look but I'm fairly sure minimum spec is 10 psi at idle.