Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 12-21-2006, 10:37 PM
SFT Executive Chef

Default Dismantiling a 42'x102' building

Up for bid locally is a 42 x 102 barn (confined grower shed) in good shape. How long do you think it would take 3 men to dismantle and pack on a trailer? I haven't seen it in person but they usually are constructed with metal trusses and wood purlins if it helps.

I have availible:

2 other strapping fellas

Borrowed 20' Gooseneck x 2

4 cordless drills

4320 JD with loader

80 beautiful acres to plop this baby down on.

I've never done any demo on a barn like this so any and all idea/comments are welcome. And I'm not sure I would want this particular building but it got me to thinking I should ask some pro's.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:19 AM
Lord of the Minions

Is this to be done on weekends only or running, daily work?

3 guys, probably a week, meaning 4 or 5. Doing it in a running daily fashion will keep the progress and focus to an optimum.

If all of the help, does, that is.

Pics?

LW

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. A dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 12-22-2006, 01:13 AM
SFT Executive Chef

It will have to be weekends if it happens.

No pics but it is in a large flat open very accesible area. Have you ever seen a Tyson Poultry barn, Cargill Turkey barn or Hog barn? That's what it is. I would have to pour a four foot knee wall to put the structure on to raise it high enough, I still need to crunch some numbers to see if it makes sense.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:24 AM

I agree that a week sounds about right. For budget purposes, figure two weeks, and you'll be under budget.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:05 AM
Lord of the Minions

If weekends only, you'll most probably find yourself with about 4 weekends to finish.

Problem with pulling down on a weekend, you'd better be able to load and haul everything that is worth taking and not leave stacked neatly, unless you have an extremely secure and watched area of demo.

Problem with weekend work is keeping, or rather having help that is willing to be there without fail. No matter how much someone may promise, someone will undoubtly not show up or at least have a good excuse for the second weekend.

Good luck and be safe. Good rope is your friend. Good friends will show up without fail, once an agreement is made.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. A dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 01-04-2007, 10:08 PM
SFT Executive Chef

Little update, the building has 7' side walls. It is clear span truss truss though and I think I could just cut the uprights, 4x4x1/4 and add 7' to get the ceiling height up to 14'. I figure the trusses are on 8' centers and i would need 7.5 sticks of 4x4 to raise it all up. I would take the tin from the roof and move it to the sides and put new on the roof.

It would take $7,000 to buy the building. Do any of you think it would be worth while? When done it would be 42x105x14 but should it be done?
Old 01-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Elite Member

If the joints in the spans are bolted and not welded, and if you can get a lift truck, then go for it.
I didn't do it myself, but watched with intrest as a 3 man crew took down 4 100 ft long chicken sheds. By the time the were half way through the first building they had a procedure down.
They only took off as much sheet metal as they would get done in a day. I don't know how they took it off, but since they seemed to like useing a sawzall I am guessing one was involved. Maybe from the inside working off a platform on the lift truck?
Anyway, the lift truck would put just enough lift on the span to let them slide a sawzall beween it and the concrete base and cut the bolts. When the span was loose he would back up enough to have the it laying flat and they would split it at the peak. Each half went onto a trailer right away. They didn't bother with spliting the posts from the half span.
I am guessing that is pretty much the reverse of the way it was put up in the first place.
They left nothing on the site overnight but the lift truck. Spans and sheet metal was gone. I am guessing the spans were on 4 or 5 foot centers and they did about half a building a day. All 4 four buildings were gone in a week.
I should have got the names of those guys. I might need a crew like that some time.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:55 AM
SFT Executive Chef

Well after much deliberation I've decided not to go after it at that price. It would end up being $7,000 for trusses and half the steel for the walls. I think I could buy/build the trusses for that and come out ahead without dragging equipment all over five counties.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:42 PM
Curmudgeon

Not knowing any more than I do about it, I realize I can't reach a logical conclusion but my instinct sure
thinks you've reached the right decision.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Oh! Come to think of it, I am home.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:05 AM
SFT Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter
Not knowing any more than I do about it, I realize I can't reach a logical conclusion but my instinct sure
thinks you've reached the right decision.

Cutter with such eloquint responses, like posted above, have you ever thought to run for an office?

I finally realized just because it might be cheaper it may not be worth doing!