Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 05-12-2017, 08:07 PM

Default mig/tig combo welder

Is there a mig welder i can also tig with that isnt more than a thousand bucks?
Old 05-12-2017, 08:40 PM
SFT Historian

Welcome to the site.

Price goes along with size, what do you want to be welding?
Old 05-12-2017, 09:01 PM

Thanks

Its for my shop at home. Nothing major really. I have a 110 Lincoln mig but its been through the ringer. Time for an upgrade, i have a 220 outlet so i can go that way. Ive always wanted to learn how to tig
Old 05-12-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdokie View Post
Is there a mig welder i can also tig with that isnt more than a thousand bucks?
Yes.
I am assuming you are looking to stick to ferrous metal and things that TIG in DC. I am not aware of am AC/DC TIG/MIG in that price range.

I have a Thermal Arc Fabricator that was around $900 new. I mostly use it for stick welding but it will also do DC TIG, FCAW, and MIG. It does pretty well for DC TIG. I don't like that it is setup to require a push button torch or a foot pedal because I am used to the scratch start style lift TIG we use out in the field but sometimes there are times where the foot pedal is handy. From what I can tell, when Esab bought Thermal Arc they simply took the Fabricator series, changed the display, painted it yellow, added some fancy trim to the case, and renamed it the "Rebel" which will cost you a few hundred dollars more.
One thing I will say is I have never tried MIG welding with the Fabricator. I have run a few spools of Flux Core through it and I haven't been impressed. It seems to bird's nest up too often to be practical. Many people say it will run MIG wire smoother but I can't say I have tried yet. I enjoy stick welding so whenever something doesn't need to be TIG welded I usually just stick weld it.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:15 PM

Mostly ferrous metals, i would like to tig aluminum tho

I need to up my limit from what i been finding.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:26 PM
Elite Member

This just my experience, but it seems a "one box does all" does all ok and none great.

No I haven't tried multi-thousand dollar gear either(but will if given to me).
Old 05-16-2017, 11:32 AM

Last summer when I was shopping for a new machine I was able to run both the ESAB Rebel and the Lincoln 210MP at the LWS in all 3 modes, I gave each one a long run, spent about 4 hours there running them.

In the end I went with the 210MP with the rebate it was $900+tax with out tig.

So far it has been a great little machine, I haven't used it a ton since I have not needed to do a lot of stick and I have the mig set up with .023 for sheet metal.

What I have used it for is field work at 40 pounds it is easy to toss in the truck and take it to the work, in that mode I have run about 15 pounds of 7018 and 4 pounds of flux core, running it off the genset and plugged into a clients power.

I have a job coming up in August where I will need to use DC tig so will be picking up the tig stuff then.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o7oBaseMetal View Post
Yes.
I am assuming you are looking to stick to ferrous metal and things that TIG in DC. I am not aware of am AC/DC TIG/MIG in that price range.

I have a Thermal Arc Fabricator that was around $900 new. I mostly use it for stick welding but it will also do DC TIG, FCAW, and MIG. It does pretty well for DC TIG. I don't like that it is setup to require a push button torch or a foot pedal because I am used to the scratch start style lift TIG we use out in the field but sometimes there are times where the foot pedal is handy. From what I can tell, when Esab bought Thermal Arc they simply took the Fabricator series, changed the display, painted it yellow, added some fancy trim to the case, and renamed it the "Rebel" which will cost you a few hundred dollars more.
One thing I will say is I have never tried MIG welding with the Fabricator. I have run a few spools of Flux Core through it and I haven't been impressed. It seems to bird's nest up too often to be practical. Many people say it will run MIG wire smoother but I can't say I have tried yet. I enjoy stick welding so whenever something doesn't need to be TIG welded I usually just stick weld it.
The rebel has far more capability than the fabricator if you choose the setting to allow it to do so.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:09 PM
Grumpy Bastard

I am a Miller guy so here are Miller's options for you.

Keep in mind when looking at Miller (or Lincoln) list prices you can usually
get the actually selling price at 20-25% off list if you shop around. My LWS
is 24.5% off list, I don't even need to call them.

https://www.millerwelds.com/equipmen...tig-kit-951649

https://www.millerwelds.com/equipmen...tig-kit-951674

Both are DC Tig so any aluminum will be a significant challenge.

I don't think you will find a major brand welder supplier that can provide a
AC/DC Tig and Mig in one package even close to your price point.

You say you have a 230V outlet in your shop, what amperage? I have several
but they are 100 amp...

Welcome to the zoo.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 05-16-2017, 03:13 PM
Gold Star Dad

AC/DC comes at a price. I got an old Miller Syncrowave 250 power supply for $850. By the time it was outfitted, with water cooler, it was close to $1,400. without gas cylinders or regs. No MIG, of course.

I got a new Firepower 161 DC-only inverter (Thermal Arc 161s) with tig torch and regs on closeout for $350. No gas solenoid and lift-arc, but can TIG steel. Again, no MIG.

Deals are out there if you watch the market. Most recent were some Thermal Arc/TWECO/ESAB 211i MIG/TIG/Stick units on closeout that occasionally sold for around $900., perhaps a bit less. Not sure if there are any left, and maybe that didn't include TIG torch. Helluva deal.