Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 05-30-2017, 11:15 AM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Yeah, don't feel too bad. A few years ago I took out the rear window on a customer's Dodge PU. It was a power slider and cost about 1500 bucks to replace.

We had removed an odd-shaped fuel tank that sat right at the front of the PU box. We pulled it because it wasn't tied down very well and the customer wanted to mount it more securely and add some other brackets and tie-downs. After doing all the work I was swinging it back in to place--by myself, of course--when it slipped and, because it was poorly balanced, swung into the window.

Customer was pretty good about it. His insurance deductible was 350 bucks and the total cost of the job came to about $500. I gave him the job for free--told him the $150 difference would cover some of his inconvenience. Not a lot of profit on that one...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 05-30-2017, 12:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to Rufus Send a message via Yahoo to Rufus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
Yeah, don't feel too bad. A few years ago I took out the rear window on a customer's Dodge PU. It was a power slider and cost about 1500 bucks to replace.

We had removed an odd-shaped fuel tank that sat right at the front of the PU box. We pulled it because it wasn't tied down very well and the customer wanted to mount it more securely and add some other brackets and tie-downs. After doing all the work I was swinging it back in to place--by myself, of course--when it slipped and, because it was poorly balanced, swung into the window.

Customer was pretty good about it. His insurance deductible was 350 bucks and the total cost of the job came to about $500. I gave him the job for free--told him the $150 difference would cover some of his inconvenience. Not a lot of profit on that one...
LKeithR:
Even though you took out the rear window, you admitted to what you did and that tells me that you are a man of honesty, integrity and of good faith. And with that said, I can say that about every member of this forum

Thanks
Tim
Old 05-30-2017, 01:34 PM
Something's Fishy ...

I have a spare A/c Repair for your truck walker the price would be right but the freight and border chit would make it a non starter.

So far I have only taken out one window.
I was driving down an overgrown road to get to a stand of jack pine. The tip of a blow down was hidden in the brush and caught between the passengers side mirror and the door. It exploded the window and went right through the headrest before I got stopped. It missed Karin's head by less than an inch. I had all the parts needed to fix the truck. but I still have visions of what that tip could have done to her.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:43 PM
Elite Member

The only pick up rear window I've taken out was done with my head. I was hit in the rear by a drunk driver while I was waiting at a stop light. He hit me hard enough to rip three of the four can mounts out and the radiator from it's mounts so it hit the fan. I broke the seat and slid up the back of it, right into the rear window. It took mt three months to iron the wrinkles out of that truck.

Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?

Grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can & the friends to post my bail when I finally snap!
Old 05-30-2017, 04:30 PM
Why, Hell Yes!

I have a 90 YO black dude that picks up my scrap,he was here and i was loading something big in his truck with the forklift,i was over the bed of the truck and he shoved the item,it slid sideways and took his back window out,the window cost more than he made on the junk,i helped him out of course.
90 YO and still working.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:58 PM
Standard of Excellence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
LKeithR:
Even though you took out the rear window, you admitted to what you did and that tells me that you are a man of honesty, integrity and of good faith. And with that said, I can say that about every member of this forum

Thanks
Tim

That and it's hard to hide a missing back window.