Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 05-06-2017, 01:17 PM

Default Lawnmower Epic Fail

About half way through mowing the back yard and this happens. Ten year old Craftsman, garage kept, only used on the weekends, should of got more life out of it.

Hammered the pieces flat and hammered them together and broke out the welder.

Welds aren't the best, almost out of gas, windy and I'm rusty, mostly I'm rusty.

I pulled the other side apart and it needed welding too.

Cleaned it up and sprayed some new red paint on it and I'm back in business. Hopefully get another ten years out of it.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170505_192010.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	139250   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170505_192017.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	139251   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170505_193413.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	139252   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170505_195123.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	139253   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170505_201502.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	139254  

Old 05-06-2017, 05:53 PM
Auction Addict

Do you wash the underside after every mowing? I sprayed mine with automotive undercoating. Helps protect the steel from rusting.

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 05-06-2017, 05:58 PM
The Real Deal

Good repair I have done the same.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:26 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Do you wash the underside after every mowing? I sprayed mine with automotive undercoating. Helps protect the steel from rusting.
That is what happens when you mow wet grass and don't clean and dry the machine. Now in NM (and probably in WY) it's never that wet to cause a problem. :-) Back in PA it was like that. :-)
...lew...
Old 05-06-2017, 07:10 PM
That HURT!

They sure don't make them like they used to. Good fix, but next year you will have to do the back wheels.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:30 PM
Master Procrastinator

I've done the same repair on my old pusher....except I welded a 4"x4" piece of plate over it after the patch was welded, re-drilled the holes. I think I did all four wheels at the same time.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:52 PM
Da Chief

Here on the sand spit, we very seldom keep a deck long enough to see that kind of failure. The sand we have to grow grass in just sand blasts the metal out of the volute, until the engine just falls off.

On my longest running rider, I picked it up used, re built it and had the deck Rino Liner coated, top and bottom. (A buddy bought a franchise) It's an old Massy-Furgeson, going on it's 11th season on that old deck I weld repaired and coated. 2 engines, jackshaft replacement and a tranny rebuild later, the deck is still kickin. Now THATS undercoating.

RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 05-06-2017, 11:05 PM

Nice save. my lawn mower deck repairs always look crappy, I just blame it on the contaminants in the recycled metal.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:40 AM

Hi guys,

Thanks for the comments.

Yes I do spray it underneath after each use. The well water here used for irrigation is brackish (salty) and part of the yard is along a salty pond. Red is correct about the sand under the grass also. I should have undercoated it, maybe the next one.

Back wheels attach differently to the side and back, but have had to do minor replace bolts back there.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 05-07-2017, 04:46 PM

10 years?

Around here it doesn't matter how you take care of it a modern mower doesn't last that long without repairs (though I know of 30y/o "cheap" at the time mowers that look better than my 5y/o craftsman).

The John Deere that I had before my craftsman the deck rotted out around the volute around the engine at about 8 years so bad that there was nothing to weld back together and for a while I just taped it back together with aluminum tape and painted the top side green and the bottom side got a heavy coat of truck bedliner and I got another season out of it.

For the most part I've gotten so tired of the quality of current reasonably priced mowers (say under $350-400 last time I shopped) that I've taken to looking for a good one on clearance/lightly used that matches my criteria (self propelled rear drive) for half price or less when mine starts getting annoying to repair, usually I find a new one that was assembled wrong at the local Sears for less than 50% of the original price within a year or 2. I need to start looking for one for this 5y/o craftsman, honestly the deck on this one is not too bad yet, but the stupid automatic choke design drives me crazy (a plastic arm that goes under the heat shields near the exhaust that melts in less than a season), it uses a bunch of oil and the drive is slipping badly. Stuff that is fixable but after a while it's just not worth doing repeatedly, it will limp along like this for at least a year or 2.
1960 Bridgeport J-head | Grizzly 10x22 | HF bandsaw | Rigid 4.5” angle grinder (+2 cheapie HF ones)
BFH