Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 05-20-2017, 07:53 AM

blast with baking soda and you dont have to mask the windows ..

then mask and paint with that etching primer then topcoat
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571
Old 05-20-2017, 09:08 AM
Why, Hell Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm W View Post
Looks good to me. I hope I can get something to look as good. How did you mix the cascade dish washer soap? Were there any safety precautions? I think that soap is caustic.
we used liquid cascade,sucked it up with the PW,and then rinsed it well.let it dry over night.
The PO had brush painted the grinding marks with rustoleum.
we just painted over his work,no care taken.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:24 PM
Elite Member

I think I'll try the cascade after a wire wheel. I'll probably "Mop" it on, let it sit and pressure wash it off. My PW doesn't have a lot of grunt, but it is better than a garden hose. It is now about #6 on my to do list. Too many jobs not enough ambition.

Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?

Grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can & the friends to post my bail when I finally snap!
Old 05-20-2017, 08:59 PM
Why, Hell Yes!

this old coach we painted was just not worth blasting and spending a ton of money on,i think the fresh paint did help me sell it,but did not really add value.
Not dissing your bus,but your in the same boat really.
new paint,even brushed on will make the old girl shine.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:07 PM
Why, Hell Yes!

I have a new PW,i bought an electric one this time,5hp 230vac.
I have RV 50 amp hookups all over the place,so the electric one woks well for me.
My old one lasted 25 years and i bought it used for 600 bucks,a cat pump with a 11hp briggs on it,i put a Lister diesel on it ages ago,but the Cat pump finally gave up.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:19 PM
set phasers to .50 caliber

Has anyone else used this? I loved it. I brushed off all loose rust, and applied this and was ready to paint. Is it cheating or is it not considered long term by the pros or something?

http://pitstopusa.com/i-14357917-eas...FQ6Zfgod7TUKuQ
Old 05-20-2017, 09:50 PM
Blast this!

I actually got a body shop to use it after I stopped on a pedal tractor due to the holes I was leaving .Wire brushed it 3m converter and returned. What is that. Explained and lost a customer.Now it is his method.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:14 AM
Elite Member

Randy, Yes, I realize I'm putting lipstick on a pig, but it will make it look much better going down the road.

Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?

Grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can & the friends to post my bail when I finally snap!
Old 05-21-2017, 11:41 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
Has anyone else used this? I loved it. I brushed off all loose rust, and applied this and was ready to paint.
Looks "ospho"-ish to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm W View Post
The bus on the left is another camper a 1953 PD4104. Rebuilt the engine and converted it in 1979.
There was something like that cruising the 'hood about a week ago. I saw it twice on two occasions going in the opposite direction. I think it had quad headlights. Definitely running a Detriot...

Speaking of grinding marks--my cousin just bought this sanding/buffing backing plate from HF. 7" I think, about $6. 5/8-11 thread, vel-cro attachments, came with a a few sanding disks and a buffing disk. Rated for 7500rpm or thereabouts. He bought it for the buffer disk and he also bought some full-cover buffing pads, as well. His intention is to buff some blemishes out of a plastic headlight lens/cover.

So he mounts it on a electric 4-1/2" grinder and I tell him that it will spin too fast for the pad (about 10,000rpm). "Here, try this Ryobi (18v). It only spins at 6500rpm but that is still too fast for what you want to do." He proceeds to start buffing with the disk and putting headlight polish on and going back and forth then he tilts the disk to try to move the polish around and the buffer pad ends up pulling from the vel-cro and allows the backing to contact the lens/cover putting SEVERAL swirlys in it! Headlight "restoration" is somewhat of an art...

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 05-23-2017, 10:04 PM
Lord of the Minions

I can blast, ele cook, or brush or scrape. If it's steel, phosphoric acid(OSPHO?), brush again then prime and paint. If it's worthy and it's Al, Alodine and a conversion coating primer and topcoat. Seldom is anything I do worthy of too much of anything anymore.

Nice coach.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.