Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 06-03-2017, 11:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to Rufus Send a message via Yahoo to Rufus
Default What to build

Hi all:
I just want to make something and I am asking you all for ideas. Here is the material I will be using. It will be stick welded. I will be cutting the material with metal cutting disks using my 4 1/2 inch angle grinder. Perhaps I can build some sort of tool for the Tinkering Area"? I suppose what I need is a greater imagination so I can actually come up with some ideas.

Thanks
Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	metal for project.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	139671  
Old 06-04-2017, 01:56 AM
SFT Historian

" I will be cutting the material with metal cutting disks using my 4 1/2 inch angle grinder."

In that case you may just as well make a stand for your angle grinder so you can use it as a chop saw.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:59 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

I can't see much from pictures, but if we had the dimensions of the stock we way get ideas
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
I can't see much from pictures, but if we had the dimensions of the stock we way get ideas
I have figured out what I am going to build, but it wont be with the metal seen here. I am going to build something as to I can use my 4 1/2 inch angle grinder with but, it wont be a chop saw, but something close to it. All I know is I have never seen on youtube as to what I am in the process of building.

Thanks
Tim
Old 06-06-2017, 12:03 AM

What are you on about Rufus?
Have I lost the plot somewhere? Is there a post missing? Is it a trick question and answer?

You have shown a piece of metal, no dimensions given .You ask what you can make from it using your 4.5" A/grinder to cut it with and welded with a stickwelder.

HWIZ has suggested a chopsaw.

You come back and say you know what you are going to build but its not with the metal shown and its not a chop saw but close to it. You then say you have never seen the item on you tube, that you are building.

If you are confused, so are we!

Why post the question if you give the folks here no way to answer it without recourse to the the third eye or the famous decoder ring?
Old 06-06-2017, 08:43 AM

this is what I made recently.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0236.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	139697  
Old 06-06-2017, 10:19 AM

Polish it and make it a door kick plate, or paint it and make a painted piece of plate.

I made a mess the other day
Greg
Old 06-06-2017, 01:16 PM
Made From Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker55 View Post
this is what I made recently.
The Squirrel is very lifelike!
Old 06-06-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZWELDER View Post
What are you on about Rufus?
Have I lost the plot somewhere? Is there a post missing? Is it a trick question and answer?

You have shown a piece of metal, no dimensions given .You ask what you can make from it using your 4.5" A/grinder to cut it with and welded with a stickwelder.

HWIZ has suggested a chopsaw.

You come back and say you know what you are going to build but its not with the metal shown and its not a chop saw but close to it. You then say you have never seen the item on you tube, that you are building.
If you are confused, so are we!
Why post the question if you give the folks here no way to answer it without recourse to the the third eye or the famous decoder ring?
Ok, let me if I can cut down on the confusion just a tad here. I will be making something, similar to a chop saw using a 4 and a half inch angle grinder. I have seen a ton of chop saws on Youtube using those 4 and a half inch agnle grinders, but with that said, my device will do something in addition to cutting round tubing and square tubing. The device I am going to make so far I haven't seen on youtube. Just got to plan it out and put it together correctly. With all that said, I will give you a hint. Think "Arm Radial Saw" using a 4 and a half inch angle grinder.

Thanks
Tim

Last edited by Rufus; 06-06-2017 at 02:54 PM. Reason: I didn't want to sound as if I were "Boasting". Thank you.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:41 PM
Elite Member

Sounds like a digit remover to me! Can't wait to see it done, please be careful.