Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 02-10-2017, 06:03 PM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
I had my reasons for bringing this back up, I need one and have never bought one. said sheepishly.

Cutting patterns at times could be of benefit.

HF does still carry it.

I see Grizzly carrying a bench mount single handle shear, but it's not throatless.

I've seen this shear at other places now.. But imagine HF still has the best price..

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:54 PM
Lord of the Minions

I have not yet checked here or in Laf as yet for one, but as soon as I feel better I'm sure I'll not put it off for long.

I've got several odd shaped patterns that need to be made for on-going projects and will have to have one on a table.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:45 PM
That HURT!

Jef,
I bought this shear right after cutter first posted about it 10 years ago. It is most definitely NOT a Beverly but it IS in fact one of the HF gems.
I have cut miles of sheet metal with mine and I am still using the original blades that came with it. I have a spare set of blades that I bought when I bought the shear but never had the need to replace them.

If I ever come across a B1 for a reasonable price I will still buy it and get rid of my HF copy. With that said, I still think that the HF throatless shear is a pretty damn good tool for the price paid.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:44 PM
Lord of the Minions

I'll be in Laf Sunday and will try to find one on the shelf.

Thanks all for the help with this. Appreciated much.

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:50 PM

Thanks for the writeup Cutter, looks interesting. The price of $80 sure went up in 10 years, though!
Old 02-17-2017, 11:10 AM

Have mine bolted to a T bracket. Clamp it in the vise when needed, out of the way when not being used.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:30 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post
Thanks for the writeup Cutter, looks interesting. The price of $80 sure went up in 10 years, though!
HMMM...just yesterday the local HF had one in the "clearance/open box" section for $65. Now if only I had a use for it...

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 02-20-2017, 08:54 AM
Elite Member

This thread about the throatless shear has had my attention for sometime now. I happened to be reading the previous edition of Hemmings Motor News and saw an ad for a throatless shear. Here is what Woodward Fab offers. I assume the smaller one is comparable to HF's?? Just wondering if it looks to be same or better quality????? http://www.woodwardfab.com/product-c...ss-hand-shear/
Old 02-20-2017, 09:37 PM

Looks like the Woodward item is a straight cutting shear. I have a 12 " version for those cuts. The beverly style shear will cut curves, but in thinner material than mentioned in the add.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:10 PM
Lord of the Minions

Ok, so I'm now the proud owner of a HF throat less shear.

I had a bit of time this afternoon before I head off to the shop tonight and did some shopping for food and stopped by HF just in case.

I found 2 NIB under a shelf and found a third sitting on the shelf where items that I'm guessing out of the box for viewing on the shelf.

It was sitting there with a nice price of $111, with no box or manual.

Stopped a little fellow working and asked him if he could do better on the price due to no box and no manual.

Knocked it down to $89 which seemed fair.

I picked up some of the magnets for holding steel parts while fitting up and headed to the checkout counters.

I had a coupon for 20% off for the magnets, but noticed the guy behind the register was putting a lower price on the 12 each large magnets of one size and 2 packs of six each of the other small ones. They were already 20% off on the sticker that I had not noticed. Cool.

He asked if I'd rather put the 20% off on the funny looking thing on the counter and I said sure, but that John had already knocked the price down to $89 and I didn't want to quibble.

He used the coupon and with tax the magnets cost about as much as the shear. wow I'm happy. Of course, happier if it works. lol