Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

Canaweld
SFT Search:   

Old 03-19-2016, 09:00 PM
Standard of Excellence

Nice. My boy did his last car this spring. He was talking about wanting to build cars for the open class races, then he had his first Boy Scout meeting and I think that idea was abandoned after getting time with the big boys. He did end up with a good handful of trophies for 1st, 2nd and 3rds.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:02 PM
Elite Member

Nice job, Brian. Glad things worked well for the derby. Our sectional derby is next Saturday. Guess pics will have to be taken. We have pretty much the same track, but we have the next level electronics. Measures down to 0.0001 I think. Only ever had 1 tie.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:08 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper Greg View Post
Nice job, Brian. Glad things worked well for the derby. Our sectional derby is next Saturday. Guess pics will have to be taken. We have pretty much the same track, but we have the next level electronics. Measures down to 0.0001 I think. Only ever had 1 tie.
Something like this? I have only seen one race of four cars tie with this timer setup. And when you add the time of four runs together and there is only .05 seconds apart, that is some close racing. I do not want to be that judge doing it be eye! This was the grand champion results. There was .005 seconds separating 1st from 2nd in the Bears heat. 209.40 mph average vs. 209.32. Amazing the leaps and bounds the software and tracks have come from the wooden tracks of the old days! One kid noticed that we ran his car backwards and came in last place that race. All the others races came in first. So we reran that heat and he came in first that time. Having the weight placed in the right spot can make a difference. And wheels tuned just right. He ended up in second place. If we did not rerun the heat, he probably would have been 5or 6th. Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3467483755.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	130031  

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden

Last edited by toprecycler; 03-19-2016 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:26 PM
Elite Member

Default What do you think these are for?

Made some more things for the Cub Scout pine wood derby track box. Added another set of wheels. I can raise them up to let the box down for storage, and lower them for transporting. I should have made them a little heavier, but I think they will work. I put them just back from center so I can pivot the box on the center to move it easier.

Sent from my iPod touch using SFTClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1860.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	138319Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1861.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	138320Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1862.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	138321Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1865.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	138322

Old 03-13-2017, 09:33 PM
Elite Member

I also added rails around the brake section of the track. There was a couple of cars that came off the side due to them being "rail riders" and since I made 1' tall stands to raise the track up, I didn't want the cars damaging themselves if they fly off.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1864.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	138323

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

Old 03-13-2017, 09:46 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
Something like this? I have only seen one race of four cars tie with this timer setup. And when you add the time of four runs together and there is only .05 seconds apart, that is some close racing. I do not want to be that judge doing it be eye! This was the grand champion results. There was .005 seconds separating 1st from 2nd in the Bears heat. 209.40 mph average vs. 209.32. Amazing the leaps and bounds the software and tracks have come from the wooden tracks of the old days! One kid noticed that we ran his car backwards and came in last place that race. All the others races came in first. So we reran that heat and he came in first that time. Having the weight placed in the right spot can make a difference. And wheels tuned just right. He ended up in second place. If we did not rerun the heat, he probably would have been 5or 6th. Brian
Yes Brian. Pretty sure that is the same software that we have and we had 1 2 car tie. Here are a couple pics of our track. Can't see it too well, but the track is on legs about 15" tall. Last pic is of the "medals" for the 5 divisions. Spark plugs painted gold,silver, and bronze.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	berby1.jpg
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	138324   Click image for larger version

Name:	derby12.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	138325   Click image for larger version

Name:	derby11.jpg
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	138326   Click image for larger version

Name:	derby7.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	138327   Click image for larger version

Name:	derby2.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	138328  

Old 03-13-2017, 09:51 PM
Elite Member

Like the idea on the wheels. Might look at that more in depth. Nice job on the guard rail. Saw one someone else did that used a push broom head just past the finish line and overhead. Worked well too. Ours seems to behave for now, unless the little fingers get to bumping around and shift the shutdown section. But I have a cure for that.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:23 PM
Elite Member

District Pinewood Derby today. My pack is upping the bar here. Now three of the four tracks are using the same software as I am, which times each car individually as it runs each of the four lanes and then adds all the runs together to determine the final winner of each class. There was only .095 seconds separating 1st from 2nd place on my track! And that was totaled from four runs each.

Overall, the race went well. I was asked to host the grand champion race on our track! Must have been the riser stands that made our track stand out. Lol

Now to start planning next years upgrades to keep the bar set high!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1890.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	138396Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1891.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	138397Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1893.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	138398Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1907.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	138399Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1913.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	138400

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-19-2017, 05:58 PM
Elite Member

I LIKE those risers. We have the little "conduit" legs that they offer. Might have to look in to new risers after the derby on Saturday.