Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 05-11-2016, 09:41 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper Greg View Post
Cutter, I hadn't heard of that. I think I'm going to work on something like Gerry mentioned with the relay. That way it will take the load off of the pressure switch.
That is what I have, and I also set up a plug on the motor side of the relay so I can plug in my autodrain, which is then on when the motor is running.

Does your compressor head have unloader valves on the head?
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:46 AM
Elite Member

I haven't really looked, Gerry. I don't think it does. I'll check and let you know.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:47 PM
Elite Member

Gerry, I still haven't looked for the unloader valves in the heads, But it does have a line that goes off the fitting that screws into the tank that I believe does what needs to be done. Also I got the angle mounts drilled and the flimsy green frame all drilled except the motor bolt holes. So 4 more holes and I can start bolting this menagerie together.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
If I need to weld, it will be in the "shelf" that the motor is bolted to.
Bingo! Don't weld on the pressure envelope and you'll be okay. Don't ask how I know.

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:51 AM
Elite Member

Never liked the idea of welding on a pressure vessel. Way too many things that can go wrong. I did manage to not need any welding. Was able to bolt the bracket onto the shelf.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:47 PM
Elite Member

Why mount the pump to the tank?
I have always thought that was just to make inventory keeping easier.
I am a big fan of keeping the two parts apart.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:25 AM

That looks a lot like a Craftsman Professional Series compressor. If it is, funny, my just crapped out a few days ago. Somehow I was lucky and in the basement (it lives in the corner) when it did and switched it off. I found a chunk of aluminum in the cooling fan that turned out to be the connecting rod, and the piston is lodged in the bottom of the cylinder upside down and beat up.

Where'd you get the HF compressor? New/used? I thought I might fix mine till I looked at it yesterday, not I've decided that I need to find something to replace it with, I'd love to get a compressor head (a proper, not oilless one) and just mount it in the place of the oilless junk that sears used.

I have a huge old Kelogg compressor head sitting somewhere, but it's of unknown origin (sort of, a friend of mine got it at work but he doesn't know why it was pulled out of service), and I suspect much too big for anything that I'm going to get to power it reasonably (I wouldn't be surprised if just the compressor head weighs more than the whole Craftsman compressor/tank assembly). I considered just trying to spin it slower with your typical 220V/20A or so motor but i don't have a clue where to get pulleys for this kind of thing and am a bit worried that I'll find that it's junk after I spend time and $ trying to get it running.

I also have a spare 60gal upright tank...
1960 Bridgeport J-head | Grizzly 10x22 | HF bandsaw | Rigid 4.5” angle grinder (+2 cheapie HF ones)
BFH
Old 09-27-2016, 09:50 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
That looks a lot like a Craftsman Professional Series compressor. If it is, funny, my just crapped out a few days ago. Somehow I was lucky and in the basement (it lives in the corner) when it did and switched it off. I found a chunk of aluminum in the cooling fan that turned out to be the connecting rod, and the piston is lodged in the bottom of the cylinder upside down and beat up.

I considered just trying to spin it slower with your typical 220V/20A or so motor but i don't have a clue where to get pulleys for this kind of thing and am a bit worried that I'll find that it's junk after I spend time and $ trying to get it running.

I also have a spare 60gal upright tank...
I would replace the aluminum crap with this head from HF. I have the 3 cylinder version of this pump and it has been bulletproof, but seems it's not to be had in the US.

As for running the Kellog slower.....the shaft of compressors are usually tapered for some reason, so a compressor without a pulley is often at givaway price. If you find one without a pulley, a taper can be measured and machined.
So to reduce compressor speed you will be playing with the motor pulley diameter. A very small pulley on the motor results in very little belt contact area for startup torque and it tends to slip, especially in the cold.
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
I would replace the aluminum crap with this head from HF. I have the 3 cylinder version of this pump and it has been bulletproof, but seems it's not to be had in the US.
Gerry, that looks like something that would make me much happier than the original and I'm betting the original motor will power it (I believe that I have 2 others that are in a similar or slightly larger size range that would work too).

I'm pretty sure that I know which 3 cylinder one you're talking about, and if I could get that for a reasonable cost I'd be quite happy with that.

Any thoughts on where to get the motor side pulley? I'll likely start googling and have only had marginal luck with that and usually end up on ebay trying to find a deal :-/
1960 Bridgeport J-head | Grizzly 10x22 | HF bandsaw | Rigid 4.5” angle grinder (+2 cheapie HF ones)
BFH
Old 09-27-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
As for running the Kellog slower.....the shaft of compressors are usually tapered for some reason, so a compressor without a pulley is often at givaway price. If you find one without a pulley, a taper can be measured and machined.
So to reduce compressor speed you will be playing with the motor pulley diameter. A very small pulley on the motor results in very little belt contact area for startup torque and it tends to slip, especially in the cold.
Huh, I didn't even realize that the shaft was tapered... I might have to measure it and check... heck, maybe post some pics here and see if any of you know about it.

I haven't really found any compressor pulleys that are anywhere approaching what I would consider a reasonable price, again, I wonder if I'm just looking in the wrong places. If I could find a reasonable pulley and I need a taper I can figure that out, if it's not _too_ big I could cut it on my lathe, and if it is I think I could come up with something to do it on the mill... maybe.

OTOH, unless I can turn it really slow (quiet) and still get good airflow, I'm really afraid that I might end up in it for more than something like that HF compressor head by the time I get it turning.
BFH