Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 09-28-2016, 08:22 AM

I went after the shaft with some calipers, it appears to be a 1" straight shaft with a keyway. This thing is one heck of a beast... a Kellogg 335TVX, I'm betting it weighs 150#. If anyone has any advice for me or just wants to see it I posted a thread here:

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...d=1#post670932
1960 Bridgeport J-head | Grizzly 10x22 | HF bandsaw | Rigid 4.5” angle grinder (+2 cheapie HF ones)
BFH
Old 09-28-2016, 08:35 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

I see by the picture that the Kellogg has unloaders on the head. Nice for load free starting.

You probably need 15"+ size. I don't know what size or where to get a large pulley, ideally with a fan blade spokes to cool the compressor and the intercooler.
I always save the flywheels off old compressor heads when I can for this. Personally, I would run a compressor at it's rated rpm because of cooling and for oil distribution.
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:00 AM
Something's Fishy ...

If you can not find a compressor pulley with a built in fan use a browning bushing pulley.
You can mount a suitable automotive fan to the pulley using the draw bolts to mount the adapter. That cooling fan is very necessary if the unit runs a long cycle.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:57 PM

I'm guessing that you guys think I should get the kellogg working as opposed to just grabbing the HF compressor head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
I see by the picture that the Kellogg has unloaders on the head. Nice for load free starting.

You probably need 15"+ size. I don't know what size or where to get a large pulley, ideally with a fan blade spokes to cool the compressor and the intercooler.
I always save the flywheels off old compressor heads when I can for this. Personally, I would run a compressor at it's rated rpm because of cooling and for oil distribution.
You don't have something bigger than about 11" or so that you'd be willing to donate or sell to the cause, would you? ;-)

The stock pulley is 13.75" according to Kellogg (though they call it a flywheel so I'm wondering if I need something with some weight to it), I've contacted them about getting one but haven't seen an answer yet, and honestly I'm not expecting much help (at least not for what I would consider reasonable $$$).

Looking around online I have't found anything bigger than ~10" that isn't crazy expensive, like more than just getting the HF compressor with a pulley... (huh, I wonder how much I could sell the HF compressor for without a pulley, funny the same compressor is selling for >$260 on ebay)

it's rated rpm is 400-1000.... looks like anywhere above 600rpm it will be moving more air than the HF one does at 1050rpm. Honestly I'm shooting for any combination of pulleys that whatever motor I end up using can turn and get it above about 500rpm, since the old compressor seemed to move enough air for everything I tried (even a ton of sand blasting and painting) and was nowhere near as beefy as this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lingle View Post
If you can not find a compressor pulley with a built in fan use a browning bushing pulley.
You can mount a suitable automotive fan to the pulley using the draw bolts to mount the adapter. That cooling fan is very necessary if the unit runs a long cycle.
huh, I didn't know such a thing existed... i figured that if I couldn't find one with a fan on it I'd just make some sort of adapter to use a good size fan blade on it (I have a largish dead oscillating fan in the garage, and I think I have a few similar sized automotive cooling fans)
1960 Bridgeport J-head | Grizzly 10x22 | HF bandsaw | Rigid 4.5” angle grinder (+2 cheapie HF ones)
BFH

Last edited by Silverback; 09-29-2016 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:00 PM
Made From Scratch

Surplus center has pullies

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Power-T...Diameter:13.75

Not sure about the fan part, but maybe you could mount an electric fan that cycles with the pressure switch or something.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:13 PM
Elite Member

Silverback, the compressor head that Gerry pointed out is the one that I am using. I also got my motor pulley and the motor from surplus center too. And Gerry, the unloader is the piece that goes into the tank. And by the way, the compressor is probably the same model as yours.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:52 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper Greg View Post
And Gerry, the unloader is the piece that goes into the tank.
When I changed the head on my compressor the old pump had the centrifugal unloader built in, the new one did not. I had to use a check valve screwed into the tank inlet that was tapped for the copper line to the pressure switch.
To my way of thinking that means the schrader valve on the pressure switch is really the unloader.
I prefer the centrifugal unloader but you gotta do what you gotta do.

If Øbama had a son he'd look like Mohammod Abdulazeez.

Let them eat hope.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Janet Reno killed more children at Waco with Bill Clinton's permission than Adam Lanza killed at Sandy Hook.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:17 PM
Elite Member

I say run the Kellogg, but in reality, your the one that has to live with it, do what you feel is best for you. I think the Kellogg run at a low speed would be fine for general shop air. If you plan on running anything that needs high cfm, set it up at rated speed and make sure it has a fan.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:12 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper Greg View Post
Silverback, the compressor head that Gerry pointed out is the one that I am using. I also got my motor pulley and the motor from surplus center too. And Gerry, the unloader is the piece that goes into the tank. And by the way, the compressor is probably the same model as yours.
Greg, They all have that Shrader valve on the pressure switch as an Unloader.
It dumps air in the line from the compressor head to the check valve. Depending on the displacement, it give 1-4 revolutions before pressure is building in the line. It does help, but not enough, I think.
I am referring to unloader valves in the compressor head that lift the intake valves.
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:21 PM
Elite Member

Gerry, just looked up the parts sheet on the compressor head. No unloader valve. I am replacing the original fitting with the "unloader" with one that has the right diameter compression fitting. Original was 3/8 and new unit has 3/4 output line.