Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 01-24-2017, 06:13 PM

Default Welder in Tomball or NW Houston area

Looking for some one who can braze or weld a 5/16" hole shut in a cast iron head. I was porting the head and hit a thin spot cutting through. It's in the EX port about 2 inches in from the header flange.

If you know any one let me know.

Thanks, bt
NW Houston, TX
Old 01-24-2017, 07:10 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by beertracker View Post
Looking for some one who can braze or weld a 5/16" hole shut in a cast iron head. I was porting the head and hit a thin spot cutting through. It's in the EX port about 2 inches in from the header flange.

If you know any one let me know.

Thanks, bt
NW Houston, TX
Too hot an area for brazing. I am too far away to help you.

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 01-24-2017, 07:32 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

I think I would try and get that tig welded with a nickel cast wire or cast iron rod material(those square ones). And then start looking for a new head.
The surrounding material must be very thin as well, so I think in the long term there will be cracking issues.
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:18 AM
Standard of Excellence

Don't waste your time. Junk it, get a new one. Leave porting to the pros. Port matching, light clean up is okay.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:07 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
I would try and get that tig welded with a nickel cast wire or cast iron rod material(those square ones).
Clean all areas of the repair area with a carbide burr, passing the burr on the top of and bottom of the repair areas.

Pre-heat a tad, weld and post heat with slow cooling in sand etc.

Understand that this is the toughest duty area of a head that absorbes huge amounts of heat as well as having to dissipate as much. Extremes to cold.

I will not weld on cast iron heads for automotive or truck engines as the cost of my labor to put shit together and tear it back apart is way too high. I will do it for some odd tractor engine etc etc etc. Things are much easier to get to in those cases.

Do not scrimp on the expense of the rod or filler material. that IronMan has mentioned. He's spot on.

Call any of the many small Mom and Pop welding shops. You'll find some old guy that will be willing to take the chance just cuz. We all do it now and then.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:01 PM
Elite Member

I have been wanting to buy some of the square cast iron welding rods for quite some time. Aufhauser distributes a square cast rod called RCI. This is the only place I have found it other than someone on Ebay has some rusty looking stuff, and asking new price for it. Aufhauser will only sell a minimum of 10 pounds. I believe they are asking about $20.00 per pound, but not sure.

10 pounds is a little too costly for me to have sitting on a shelf. I would like to buy about 2 or three pounds if someone has some extra they would be willing to part with..........thanks.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:33 PM
Lord of the Minions

Pat if I did not already have what I need for the year already, I'd take all 8 off your hands.

I do a wealth of tractor engine/parts on tractors and antique cars for the AACA here down South.

Hopefully someone will take you up on this offer.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:19 PM

If you were interested in doing a group buy, I'd be interested in trying out a couple pounds. I have no need for 7 or 8 pounds of something I've never used before though.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:09 AM
Gadget Girl

I'd be interested in a few pounds as well.. Do I see a group buy in the future?

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:54 AM
Elite Member

Jennifer,

If someone were to place an order I would go in for 2 or 3 pounds. Like I stated, I have never used it, but would like to give it a try. I have had several items that probably would have benefitted from it in the past.