Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 02-08-2017, 06:24 PM
That HURT!

Default Budget AC/DC TIG

A friend of mine is looking for a budget AC/DC TIG machine for sheet metal work.
He was asking me about the Alpha TIG 200Xhttps://www.amazon.com/AHP-AlphaTIG-Stick-Welder-PULSE/dp/B00REX6USW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486595814&sr=8-1&keywords=alpha+tig+200x

I suggested a Dynasty 200DX but that is way out of his budget. Does anyone know anything about this APH 200X?
Are there any other budget TIG options out there that are not total junk?

Any suggestions?
Old 02-08-2017, 07:13 PM

I don't have any personal experience, but I have watched a couple of video reviews, and they actually seem to have decent output.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:43 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

I've got a 200 amp Longevity Tig and I can't complain about the machine, hasn't blown up and does tig weld better than I do, but I am an amateur at it.
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:57 AM
Post Fiend

"Looks" like a decent unit for the money, especially for an AC/DC TIG with HF start. Reviews seem mostly positive. I'd want to see inside before I bought it, though.

I like the way it has separate knobs for the settings. While some might not like the clutter, I could see easy (and cheap) field replacement if necessary vs having to diagnose and buy a separate circuit board... Unless of course the knobs are mounted to a circuit board!

That being said, I don't see a "beginner" being able to use the machine to its full advantage unless the setting functions are learned (ie: what does THIS knob do and how will it affect the weld?)

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 02-09-2017, 03:13 PM
That HURT!

Thanks all. Most of the reviews I found were mostly positive too although most agree that the pedal is a POS and have replaced it with a pedal from SSC.

I'm pretty sure my friend is going to buy this machine and if he does I'll get to see it first hand and report back.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:18 PM
Gold Star Dad

A bit of an AHP "fan boy" thread, and I think the OP is a dealer, so take it with a grain of salt. Anyway:

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...e-used-own-one!

The machine might be good, IF you get one that works for awhile. AFAIK, AHP is somewhat related to either Longevity or Everlast, so beware of warranty and customer service. PM me if you want an opinion and we can chat.

Last edited by USMCPOP; 02-09-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:05 AM
Lord of the Minions

A few years back I mentioned here that a co-worker had bought a HF mig machine with discounts etc I think it cost him around $75 bucks for everything he needed to run flux core.

I helped him set it up and showed him the difference in ability of it and my little MM185 matic. Did coupons and showed the strength differences etc.

While there I did a few mods on a trailer he had using my machine, my welds on a trailer he was adding what amounts to a Roach Coach on a trailer for him to sell food and certain things at fairs etc.

6 mos ago he was complaining about how the trailer broke where it was welded.

I went to his house, the trailer was in a few pieces having flipped on the way back to LC from Houston.

Knowing back then to be careful, all of the welding I did and changes I made, I took pictures of. What failed was what he welded with using the HF machine.

That said, I'm always leery of anything that is a little too affordable when used in these tasks.

He lost a $40 +k investment over a $100 dollars worth of machine. The cookers, freezers etc were toast, truck totaled, him and his wife hurt.

The trailer and his dually truck were both brought back to LC on Roll Backs in pieces.

Just a mention

It aggravates me to hell and back that when I read posts in the Fire Arms room or other such, that it ends up costing me a grand or two before the weeks out. Damn you guys!

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:56 PM

Beginner + Sheet metal work is usually not a good combination, as you need to have very good eye-hand coordination from years of tig. It is no where near the same as trying to TIG 1/8"+ material. That said, USA Weld sells a great machine, the HTP Invertig 221. Very comparable to the old Miller 200DX. I love mine. Solid machine with zero documented occurrences of failures.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:34 PM
That HURT!

After further discussions, my friend decided to up his budget and he ordered a Hobart EZ TIG 165i. His primary use will be automotive sheet metal with an occasional light gauge aluminum bracket thrown in here and there.

I was unaware that Hobart had an AC/DC TIG machine in that price range. I think the Hobart will fill his needs and I look forward to seeing what the machine can do when he gets it. I'll report back once I've had some time to play with it.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:21 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
around $75 bucks for everything he needed to run flux core.
snip
He lost a $40 +k investment over a $100 dollars worth of machine. The cookers, freezers etc were toast, truck totaled, him and his wife hurt.

The trailer and his dually truck were both brought back to LC on Roll Backs in pieces.

Just a mention
That is well said. I can't ever recall a nice weld with fluxcore. I think over the years he added and added weight and never checked the frame also.
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound.