Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 02-11-2017, 05:40 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
...That said, I'm always leery of anything that is a little too affordable when used in these tasks....
No shit! There's a reason why Miller or Lincoln welders are worth as much as they are. Granted, you're paying something for the name but there's no way a $200 welder can do all the things that a $1000 one can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
...I can't ever recall a nice weld with fluxcore...
Me neither, at least not with any of the cheap machines that run small fluxcore as a way to get around using gas. You can make some real pretty welds on 3/4" plate running 1/16 flux at 350 or 400 amps but that's a whole other ballgame...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 02-11-2017, 06:11 PM
Something's Fishy ...

A competent weldor can make a strong weld with even the chitiest welder.
It may not be a pretty weld and the weldor will hate doing it but it is possible because the weldor knows the limits of the weld he is putting down.
OTOH a $8000 machine used by an untrained and inexperienced operator may produce a truly bad weld.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
That is well said. I can't ever recall a nice weld with fluxcore. I think over the years he added and added weight and never checked the frame also.
It's not the fluxcore wire that is the issue, it was likely the machine that didn't have enough balls. Fluxcore ran though a real wire-feeder can be as strong as any welded with solid ER70S-6. It's all about dialing in the correct wirespeed and arc voltage.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:04 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
think over the years he added and added weight and never checked the frame also
Not to hijack the thread, but guess this does.

The total weight and the way it was placed would typically been a perfect layout considering the heft and duty of the trailer to begin with.

It's what he added that actually caused weakness at those areas that failed the original structure of the trailer.

I'm all about trying to save money, but I've found it the rule and not the exception, "you get what you pay for". Sadly, we are in one hell of an expensive hobby/professional arena here.

Most of what I've read about some of the imports etc is on one end worthy of giving products a try. But if there is no local support like an LWS, who the frick are we supposed to rely on when problems arise.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:07 PM
Lord of the Minions

If memory serves, I think one person at this site that got the best bang for his buck with his entry level purchase of a welding machine was Cutter. I'm thinking it was a Miller 250 (1)? many years ago now.

I'd be willing to bet that his blue box will still purr like a kitten or growl like the bear it is if the thing is maxed out.

Just sayin.

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:54 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Send a message via AIM to Shade Tree Welder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lw hiway View Post
if memory serves, i think one person at this site that got the best bang for his buck with his entry level purchase of a welding machine was cutter. I'm thinking it was a miller 250 (1)? Many years ago now.

I'd be willing to bet that his blue box will still purr like a kitten or growl like the bear it is if the thing is maxed out.

Just sayin.
mm 251

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 02-12-2017, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
Most of what I've read about some of the imports etc is on one end worthy of giving products a try. But if there is no local support like an LWS, who the frick are we supposed to rely on when problems arise.
I've heard Eastwood has repair parts stateside, when my Dad got his Tig200 it had a bad pedal and once the tech support line diagnosed it he had a new one a couple days later. So maybe its true. I happen to like that machine, we have added a watercooled torch, that being said I have never used anything nicer for tig, and I likely wouldn't know how if I tried.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:29 AM
Made From Scratch

Most folks here don't seem to shop the red machines, but just as a side note he could have gotten a lincoln square wave tig 200 inverter, for about the same cost as the EZ tig looking at amazon pricing.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:11 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
Most folks here don't seem to shop the red machines
Matt, it doesn't mean we don't own them. lol

My little red Tombstone AC/DC box has burnt more rod than I have run wire in my Millers for sure and it's still kickin, plus the fact it's older than dirt.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:07 AM
Made From Scratch

I got started on an AC only lincoln tombstone, which is still in the garage. At college, the welding lab was a lincoln sponsored training center and I got to play with their bigger toys. Had a job for awhile that had a miller mig in the shop and it welded great but the arc was so different I couldn't make myself like it. I've got nothing against miller but I don't pay any attention to what they put on the market. Funny how we get set in our ways