Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 02-09-2017, 05:34 PM
Elite Member

Default Help with making aluminum brazing flux

Generally speaking flux is relatively inexpensive as far as welding/brazing materials are concerned, and cost is not my motive here. I am trying to find some recipes for homemade aluminum brazing flux. One reason for this is because many of the welder supply places around here do not stock anything except the white paste flux normally used for silver brazing.

If I want any type of flux for aluminum I have to have them order it. This I really do not understand because all of the places sell aluminum filler metals, and I am sure that not everyone TIGs aluminum. The sad part is even after you give them the product number, name, etc, I usually end up getting something not designed for aluminum.

Being midwinter and getting bored I figured I would try my hand at making some different types of aluminum flux. I have looked on the internet for recipes but have not been able to find much of anything. If anyone has a formula they use to make their own I would appreciate information about it, what ingredients, and possibly where to buy the ingredients......................thanks.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:13 PM
Gold Star Dad

Pat, maybe you could look up and find a .PDF copy of "Henley's 20th Century Formulas, Processes and Trade Secrets" or something like that. Might have something for Aluminum. Old school chemistry, back from the days they figured it out. A local library might have a musty old copy. Not sure where I put my copy that I swiped from the high school library about 45 years ago.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:31 PM
Auction Addict

I have heard people using borax as a flux for aluminum. Have not tried it myself.

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 02-09-2017, 07:49 PM

I've got an old Audels plumbers handbook at work that has some recipes on making flux. I'll check it and see if it has anything on aluminum. probably a long shot tho.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:41 AM
Gadget Girl

A bicycle frame builders supply might be a better option..

I can post to the aluminum frame builders group I am on and see what they come up with...

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:37 AM
Lord of the Minions

I've got the book in the shop at the farm. sigh Alas, I am not...........

I joined 'archive.org' and am currently about 2 hrs into a download and am about halfway there............... I'll post back should I actually end up with the PDF on my desktop that I will try to share here.

Watching grass grow................

It aggravates me to hell and back that when I read posts in the Fire Arms room or other such, that it ends up costing me a grand or two before the weeks out. Damn you guys!

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.

Last edited by LW Hiway; 02-10-2017 at 07:57 AM. Reason: I do not think this will happen
Old 02-10-2017, 08:24 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Just post the linky here, and others with faster connections can help.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:10 AM
Gold Star Dad

Some fluxes for aluminum will produce Hydrogen Fluoride as a byproduct. Very dangerous stuff.

From WIKI: "Hydrogen fluoride is a highly dangerous gas, forming corrosive and penetrating hydrofluoric acid upon contact with moisture. The gas can also cause blindness by rapid destruction of the corneas."
Old 02-10-2017, 02:31 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
Just post the linky here, and others with faster connections can help.
No joy.. Downloading stopped at 2.75 mb and it was 8 hours and counting. I killed it. I really do not think it's my speeds more like their speeds of sending.

There are several of these 'download' sites that you have to buy a membership, have free memberships but you have to join with some info etc etc......in this case I'm on the third one and will see if a download with this one will work.

That said, I did the only thing a person in my condition would do, screw it, and bought another used copy from Amazon for about $50 to keep here at the apt. Once I move to the Farm full time, there will be lots of books on our subjects that I will be willing to part with as I have more than one of several. sigh

It aggravates me to hell and back that when I read posts in the Fire Arms room or other such, that it ends up costing me a grand or two before the weeks out. Damn you guys!

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:56 PM
Lord of the Minions

Well dammmmmm..........

It took awhile but I did find a site/feller that had the complete book, from what I can tell, in text format on his site. Science guy don't cha know.

It does appear complete and from what I'm see it is complete with what tables etc of the original book has contained within.

So, I've loaded a PDF here at SFT for all to peruse and use and misuse as necessary.

LW
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HENLEY S TWENTIETH CENTURY.pdf (8.78 MB, 80 views)