Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 02-10-2017, 04:02 PM
Elite Member

I just downloaded the one marked something like B/W PDF (or some such) it took less than 1 minute. ( My screen clock doesn't have seconds showing so can't be exact but part of the :56 [about 10 sec] and finished before the :57 turned over )
Now I'll have to see what I've got. :-)
...lew...
Old 02-10-2017, 04:34 PM
Elite Member

Good grief !!! What a lot of weird materials. Some of them I've heard the words when I was a kid but have no idea of what they really are. I read part of the Adhesives and then skipped way down and looked at part of the Solders.
A good example of the ????? when he says "glue" in the Adhesives I first thought it would be what I remember as "hide glue" but then in several other places it looks like there may several varieties of glue he is referring to. By the way he is either dissolving or mixing it. not sure I'll ever be able to make sense of most of it. :-)
...lew...
Old 02-10-2017, 07:23 PM

I found this in the Audels plumbers book from 1939. Does list borax as an alternative.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flux.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	137789  
Old 02-10-2017, 08:15 PM
Gold Star Dad

Pat, search Google in the patents section for aluminum flux. There is some info.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:54 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
Some of them I've heard the words when I was a kid but have no idea of what they really are.
lol, I had to force Word to copy and save all text as was. It could not allow itself to save with all of the current day comparisons for the then miss-spelled words and usage.

Modern day English Archeology of sorts.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:27 AM
Lord of the Minions

Copied from a page of Pop Mechanics back when, Shop notes.........
Attached Files
File Type: docx soldering al.docx (736.1 KB, 64 views)

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:21 AM
Elite Member

Thanks for all the information. I will be looking it over to see if I can conjure something up that wont poison me, or have the EPA knocking on my door.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:35 PM
Elite Member

H F has flux coated AL brazing rods on the shelf.
You can use them with just a propane torch.

My son and I just used it to repair a pier support.
It would have been faster with MAPP, but that was in his other truck.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:18 AM
That Man Behind The Curtain

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCPOP View Post
Some fluxes for aluminum will produce Hydrogen Fluoride as a byproduct. Very dangerous stuff.

From WIKI: "Hydrogen fluoride is a highly dangerous gas, forming corrosive and penetrating hydrofluoric acid upon contact with moisture. The gas can also cause blindness by rapid destruction of the corneas."
Pop is right on the money.....

Why play alchemist when the real deal is readily available and cheap enough... ??

https://www.tinmantech.com/products/...lding-flux.php

no point in poisoning yourself...

BTW... Borax is an effective brass flux.... not much good for aluminum

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain..

The more you Know, The Better you Know, How little you Know (old Estonian saying)
Old 02-21-2017, 10:40 AM
Elite Member

H80N,

I have never known Pop's to be wrong. I envy his patience . Chances are, if Dick can't find something it does not exist. For once I am going to be a little proactive. I am going to put my flux research on the back burner because you guy's are correct about the hazards of this stuff. I want to know far more than I do now before I go mixing several chemicals together.

In a previous post I alluded to the fact that certain aluminum fluxes can enhance the performance of the flea market type (Durafix, alumaloy,HTS-2000, alumaweld,etc) rods. At this time I would have to say that the Harris Al-Braze E.C. flux performs the best of all of the fluxes I have played with so far.

Using flux on these types of rods that are hawked as being a fluxless repair method, eliminate the need to scratch the rod into (I should say on to) the parts to be joined. I know some of you are probably thinking that you may as well skip the flea market rod and just braze the aluminum as you would normally since you are applying the flux anyway's.

Using flux on these rods appears to work well if you require a low temperature braze/solder repair. I have never really cared for the way this type of rod bonds to aluminum. You can have an excellent looking joint after using it in the fluxless mode, only to have your pieces fall apart while just wire brushing it. This would be a big pain in the butt when using it on radiators, condensers, and other touchy aluminum fixes.

Using the Harris Al-Braze E.C. with the alum-a-crud rods allows the filler to flow and bond all most as if you brazed it, but at much lower temperatures. One thing that remains is that the beads (if you want to call them that) are strong, but somewhat brittle. I am actually quite pleased with the results using the flux. I know that they sell flux cored aluminum brazing rods, and Harris also has an Al-Cor aluminum solder that is a low heat application. The problem with these things are the cost. The flux cored rods can cost as much as $10.00 each, and the Al-Cor is about $18.00 for a 36" roll.

Still, that is not too bad because in most instances a little bit goes a long way.........but I am too cheap for my own good. If a couple (3 or 4) people on here want to experiment using the Zinc and whatever else those rods are made of and the flux but do not want to buy a whole container of flux that they may not have any other use for, I would gladly send them a little bit of the flux in its powdered form. I think you will be amazed at how well it flows and bonds.

Last edited by Pat; 02-21-2017 at 05:13 PM. Reason: spelling