Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 02-26-2017, 11:46 AM
Auction Addict

Good looking trailer. Are you running wires inside tubing, hose or pipe for your lights?

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 02-26-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Good looking trailer. Are you running wires inside tubing, hose or pipe for your lights?
Hi Chris, pretty sure I'm going to run my wires in a pipe between weather proof boxes
Old 02-26-2017, 10:40 PM
Auction Addict

I have been using old garden hose. Especially the ones that leak.

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 02-27-2017, 03:42 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
insatiable urge to build an irrigation pipe trailer, although I have absolutely no need for one
My next major project it to build a simple, non complex, double ended two axle trailer for hauling about 30 joints of drill pipe at a time.

It pains me to pass up 20' to 30' joints of oil field pipe due to being too long without cutting it in length for transport.

Running wiring in piping with tie in boxes at the ends is good. Personally and I agree with Chris. All of mine use used water hose from front to back and side to side, branching off for side markers etc.

I've found a nice heavy rubber type electrical tape that actually melts a bit to adhere to what it's wrapped on. Completely sealing off any branches from the main line or at the ends. I've never had to go back and redo wiring on any of the trailers, some over 35 years now since wired. I do have to replace light assy's at times, but never wiring.

The last trailer that was painted was blasted with the wiring runs in the hose left fastened to the frame loosely to allow blasting around them to the frame. makes good masking as far as I'm concerned. lol

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
My next major project it to build a simple, non complex, double ended two axle trailer for hauling about 30 joints of drill pipe at a time.

It pains me to pass up 20' to 30' joints of oil field pipe due to being too long without cutting it in length for transport.

Running wiring in piping with tie in boxes at the ends is good. Personally and I agree with Chris. All of mine use used water hose from front to back and side to side, branching off for side markers etc.

I've found a nice heavy rubber type electrical tape that actually melts a bit to adhere to what it's wrapped on. Completely sealing off any branches from the main line or at the ends. I've never had to go back and redo wiring on any of the trailers, some over 35 years now since wired. I do have to replace light assy's at times, but never wiring.

The last trailer that was painted was blasted with the wiring runs in the hose left fastened to the frame loosely to allow blasting around them to the frame. makes good masking as far as I'm concerned. lol
LW, My Dad and I been running wires in pipe for years some are welded to a small bracket hanging down or some are bolted on with a half clamp but always in sch 40 1/2" pipe.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:27 AM
Perpetuus Discipulus de Vita

Nice looking Build. Curious, why a straight tong and not a V?

David Finch Mixed Media Creations
My YouTube Channel

"Of all of our inventions for mass communication, pictures still speak the most universally understood language." - Walt Disney

"Formal education will make you a living;
Self education will make you a fortune." - Jim Rohn
Old 02-27-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldor2005 View Post
Nice looking Build. Curious, why a straight tong and not a V?
Only a 2000 lbs capacity trailer. Just wanted a small trailer to haul my garden tiller, plywood and 2x4 every now and than.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:57 AM

Today I got my Sch 40 Elbows in 1" and 1/2" pipe. I will be welding these at the front corners of the trailer to make the pipe rails continuous.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2287.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	138134   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2288.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	138135  
Old 03-01-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post

That is really saying something in a place where 7 out of 10 trailers, even the nearly new ones are running around with either no lights or a least one light out, or maybe it just seemed like it when I was down there.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:18 PM

Default Welding rails

Back working on my trailer. Time to start welding all the rails together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2315.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	138217   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2320.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	138218