Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 11-29-2017, 03:56 PM
Standard of Excellence

I have seen quite a few bumper drawings, and bumper kits. They are all way too big, boxy, and angular for my taste. They are almost all flat p,ate parts welded together. This assumes the builder has limited skills and tools. I have pretty decent tools and skill enough to shape metal to my desires, which is why I opted to design and build my own.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:51 AM
Elite Member

Thanks for sharing. I have put a bumper build project on the back burner for quite a while, but seeing your build makes me want to get it done and over with. The truck in question is a 2009 Chevy Silverado 4x4 that has been abused in about every way possible. My brother bought it at an auction for his farm. Previously this truck was used on a dairy farm and looks like it spent most of its life in the feed lot. The manure has caused an awful lot of rust even in places where you would not think rust would be a problem.

We want to replace what is left of the front bumper, and add a winch like you have done. Before I get started I have a question about the electrical that supplies power to the air bag system. Was there anything special you had to do to keep from setting the airbag off, or causing damage to the wiring. Common sense would tell me to stay away from the wiring and everything should be ok. But with my luck there is a big old fly in the ointment just waiting for me to assume things........thanks.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:33 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
This assumes the builder has limited skills and tools. I have pretty decent tools and skill enough to shape metal to my desires, which is why I opted to design and build my own.
I know what you mean. I think it could easily be modded for using a press brake and eliminate some weld seams.

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green
Old 12-01-2017, 08:03 PM
Standard of Excellence

Par, I will offer it to you as well, if you like it when it is done I'll send you the files I am drawing.
As far as the air bag, the is one sensor in the front fairly far behind the bumper. The winch doesn't interfere with it, so just leave it alone, and there is no reason to disturb its wiring. The air bags won't deploy under 35mph, so even if you bumped it you won't hear a boom in the cab.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
I have seen quite a few bumper drawings, and bumper kits. They are all way too big, boxy, and angular for my taste. They are almost all flat p,ate parts welded together. This assumes the builder has limited skills and tools. I have pretty decent tools and skill enough to shape metal to my desires, which is why I opted to design and build my own.
This is precisely why I made my own bumpers as well. I had no idea when I started that it would take me 13 years to complete and cost me nearly $7000.00

Much of what I know about machining and fabricating I learned from building those two bumpers.

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:07 PM
Standard of Excellence

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
... 13 years to complete and cost me nearly $7000.
Isn't that the truth!!!
Old 12-16-2017, 07:11 PM
Standard of Excellence

I got a little more done on my bumper this afternoon. I shaped and fitted the side wings. I ended up having to bump the ends with a brake to get them to come around a bit more as the roller could've roll the ends. It's a bit segmented, but it'll finish out fine. I ran out of time, so they are just hanging loose. I will weld the side brackets on in the morning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20171216_170613.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	142591

I also got the removable winch mount plates welded up. I was going to weld on the plate, but found I would have to remove the bumper in order to get the winch out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20171216_170824.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	142592

I still need to fab up the mount for the fairlead, mount the solenoid box, and wire the winch.

I also need to fab and welded a return flange on the top and bottom. After that I will pull the whole mess off and paint.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:30 PM
The Real Deal

Looking good!!! If I would have made them it would have been segmented all the way because I have no roll.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:35 PM

you smacked a Honda with a Chevy truck and it messed your bumper up that you had to replace it? what type of Honda was it? I recently also got into a my fault accident where I rear ended a Nissan sedan. the rear end of the Nissan got totally destroyed. Luckily the driver wasn't seriously hurt. the only thing that happened to my 98 F-150 was the grille was cracked on one side. they certainly don't make trucks like the way they use to.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:47 AM
Standard of Excellence

No they don't. My bumper looked a lot worse than it was.there was a side support bracket that was cracked almost through, so when I hit it the whole side of the bumper looked twisted.
Surprisingly the chrome bumper skin and the support structure are not heavier than 16 gauge.